Blanches and Light

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

Experts, please shed some ' light' on storing Blanches. Same as Vertes or is a little light okay. Im assuming the use of clear and not tinted bottles for Blanches negates the neccesity to keep them' in the dark' ... like Vertes. Puns intended every which way...

#2 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:01 AM

I store my blanches in the same dark location I do my vertes. I do this for practical reasons. I doubt blanches are as prone as vertes are to change. Less herbs? The chlorophyll from the coloration is the reason vertes tend to change color and are usually bottled in a darker glass. Some exceptions like Leopolds, WW and MoL obviously are in clear bottles.

That said, I think storing any beverage in direct light or sunlight would be bad in the long run. The bad things might not necessarily be limited to color changes either. Unless you are making sun tea. In a room with limited light might not hurt though.

Temperature will most likely be cooler and more consistent in that darker space you store your vertes. Temperature fluctuations can also be less desirable for long time storage. I would stake my wig on a bottle of preban stored in a wine cellar cork up would be far better than a bottle stored in an attic.

I can't remember a blanche apart from Brut Alambic being in anything other than a clear glass bottle. Maybe you could do an experiment and let us know the changes if any.

Edited by greytail, 22 January 2014 - 03:11 AM.

Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#3 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:24 AM

I store both vertes and blanches in both places.  Bottles that are in the process of being consumed sit on the bar but unopened bottles are safely tucked away (out of sight, out of  mind).  There are also a few bottles in the transition phase (occasionally sipped) that have had some access to light over several years.  The only change we've noticed is a marked improvement in both blanches and vertes (usually).  As a matter of fact, we were visiting a bar last week and Julie noticed one of our blanches with a silver capsule.  That indicated to us that the bottle was from our earliest batches.  She couldn't wait to try a glass and I must admit, age is definitely its friend. 

I don't think light has any effect on blanches.  Sorry it took so long for me to get there.

#4 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

I'm a lot less careful with blanches...I don't make sure they're locked away immediately and sometimes they sit on my kitchen counter for a few days. If I were to be storing one for a long time, I would probably take a bit more care.

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#5 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

To clarify Light that I mean not in a brightly lit room. I have a bar in a living room where the closed cabinet is overflowing with Vertes, and therefore Im down to storing my Blanche bottles on the bar counter. I would say its not a brightly lit living area. Halogen lamps on only in the evening, generally in the day it faces against the sun so even now in summer the room is less than averagely lit. I believe from what knowledge I have gathered that it should be fine as the theory is behind chlorophyll in vertes that can be affected correct? And theres no naturally ocurring chlorophyll in blanches.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.

#6 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

UV light can have some affect on the color, yes...but that's not the only thing that it can damage. It can break down other things within the alcohol aside from just the color, such as the flavor (which is the most important) and can often "turn" lower ABV drinks (like liqueurs). It depends on how long you think the bottle will last though. For example, if I were hoping to store a nice bottle of scotch or brandy for a long time (like a few years), I would store it somewhere dark, not just because of the color. On the other hand, a bottle of gin lasts about 2 months in our household, so I'd be less inclined to worry about storing a bottle of gin outside of a cabinet for that long...it'll probably be drunk faster than the amount of time it would take to notice any off-flavors.

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#7 Wormwoad

Wormwoad

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Personally I have a little metal 'wine box' which I use to store my bottles. It stays out of direct sunlight, but is in my living room (I live in a flat).

I've never had any problems with that, as it is winter and I rarely, if ever, use much heat in this apartment. I'd imagine that when summer comes, though, I will want to move it to the basement of the building - luckily for us, we own a part of our brick basement.

So, essentially, I don't keep it in a wine cellar, but being that it is in a dark metal box that does not see much heat, it works well enough. Perfect for those, like me, with limited monetary resources.

Not only do I keep absinthe vertes/blanches in there, but white wines and such as well. I've never had a problem with any of it - then again, I don't age a whole lot of my 'queue'. If I had something which I intended to age, I'd keep it in that basement.

#8 Grim

Grim

Distiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

I'd try to store blanche and verte out of light.

It affects many kinds of spirit... I've noticed it's especially detrimental to citrus-derived spirits/distillations.

Leave it to me as I find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...
Guaranteed...

#9 ripper911

ripper911

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Drink it faster. I can't think of any bottle that would last more than 4-5 days at my house, and that is MUCH longer than average. ;)

Were typically a bottle a day for whiskey, 2-3 days for a bottle of absinthe.

#10 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Goodness Me!!!

#11 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,636 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:22 AM

:shock:  :worshippy: 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#12 Wormwoad

Wormwoad

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

Jeeze. A bottle lasts me maybe two months.

#13 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

Wow, yeah - I have some bottles (absinthe) that have been on hand for over 8 months for sure. Even taking a drink or two a day for a month - a single bottle would probably last for me. Guess I'm not nearly the irredeemable drunkard my wife pretends I am ;)

#14 Wormwoad

Wormwoad

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

Wow, yeah - I have some bottles (absinthe) that have been on hand for over 8 months for sure. Even taking a drink or two a day for a month - a single bottle would probably last for me. Guess I'm not nearly the irredeemable drunkard my wife pretends I am ;)

My lady wishes I would drink more. I am an existential and serious mess normally.

Absinthe makes me just not give a damn. Haha.

#15 ripper911

ripper911

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

At least I still function, most of my drinking comes after 5pm except on weekends. ;) The volume consumed is why I've been buying cheap whiskey lately. When I get paid I'm going on an absinthe binge for sure!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association