11 replies to this topic

#1 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hey all,

Trying to see if this recent find is worth anything, or not.  Any ideas on authenticity/value here?  If the answer is 'zero, dude', I'm not bothered.  :)

Attached Files

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#2 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

And if you can't read the maker, it says "Kermann's Absinthe".  The patina looks real enough, but one never knows.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#3 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

I found a thread at FV , Oxy says the vintage Kermann was not an absinthe.

http://www.feeverte....wtopic=5825&hl=

So it is most likely someone took a modern Pere Kermann promo spoon and made it look old. 

I guess it is possible someone took an old spoon, then stamped it.

#4 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Does it actually use an apostrophe?  I can't see, in the photo.  Some other drinks did use spoons and sugar. Picon, for example.  

If it's French however, "Kermann's" would never have been stamped.  They don't use apostrophes in this manner.  Some distilleries DID make spoons for export, however, to English/American markets.  I have such a spoon from Pernod.

Edited by Scott M., 21 January 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#5 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

The only pic I found of the modern Kermann spoon, at Betty's , It has a star pattern

http://www.allthings...s/PereKere.html

So I don't think it is a modern promo spoon 

and as Scott said, language wise it does not make sense. 

It is a very strange choice for fakery.  

Edited by TheLoucheyMonster!, 21 January 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#6 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, it's an odd piece I picked up a (long) while back for next to nothing, and I wanted to get a value on it/perhaps sell.  Looks better (real or fake?) than a lot of pre-bans I see either way.  :)

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#7 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Here's your answer.  Crapsinthe.  Modern spoon... it looks intentionally aged to fool people.

http://www.absinthe....rmanns-absinthe

Edited by Scott M., 21 January 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#8 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Not sure how a modern crapsin' makes the spoon fake without a mention in the link of a fake spoon coming with it.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#9 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Hmm, Betina did or does have a silver plated spoon with that hole pattern. 

without a stamp:

http://allthingsabsi...echesRepro.html

or with an EP stanp

http://allthingsabsi...hops/emile.html

maybe at one time, perhaps late -90's or early 00's she offered this spoon for the P. Kermann's ?

and since it is silver plate, that can tarnish and look old quickly.

#10 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

It simply doesn't make sense that it would be old. The "Père Kermann" liqueur on Oxy's site is not absinthe, and has an entirely different name. The modern crapsinthe "Kerman's Absinthe" is all over the internet. If there was never a vintage "Kermann's Absinthe" it seems logical that there's no antique spoon for it either. I can't see a scenario where an antique spoon would have a modern fake absinthe's name stamped into it. It is most likely a promotional repro spoon from when this first came out. That's my best guess. People falsely age spoons all the time to sell them as old; they pop up on Ebay regularly, as do Frenchman glasses, being sold as antiques. Some of the vendors are likely decent folks, who simply don't know any better, and some are crooks.

#11 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

I knew I'd seen it before somewhere... "All things absinthe" has this listed, with a photo when you click the link.  If you scroll down, it's the last spoon listed above t-shirts. It's a different spoon, with stars, but also a vintage repro.  They've likely had a couple designs through the years.

http://www.allthings...tiqueshop.html#

Edited by Scott M., 21 January 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#12 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, Scott! Good sleuthing!

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association