Photo

Mr Crowley, did you think you were pure?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

It's Dumassé.

:euro:

You all seem in a way, dumbass yourselves.
Mushrooms aren't hallucinogenic.
Alcohol is a drug.
I never said absinthe produced visions.

So is the absinthe effect a real mind altercation, or are we afraid to talk about that here?

The membership here has spent collective decades, quite a bit of money, blood (yes), sweat, tears, and plenty more in their pursuit of absinthe. If there are scholars in the world of absinthe, you've just met them, and insulting them won't get you very far. Plus, it's terrible Lesser Magic.

The absinthe mind effect is, and always was, false. There is more than enough scientific data and historical sources on the main website to verify this as well as other websites out there as well. It's really no more different than being drunk on tequila versus drunk on wine. Make no mistake, you're still drunk either way. Most people, unless they have an allergy to something, trick their minds to produce whatever kind of drunk they want. Humans have incredible mental powers but are prone to suggestion, especially from themselves (as any good magician knows). If you drink with a presumption, then expect bias to fulfill that prophecy, at least mentally.

We aren't afraid to talk about it here, hell we even have papers on the subject of chemical composition and such on the main website. We are just tired of answering the same drivel over and over again. The people of the WS have grown weary of tossing those pearls of their hard earned research out there, only for those facts to be ignored by swine.

I would reconsider your approach here and maybe pursue that scholarly aspect a bit more. It is the communication style that we are most familiar with here.

Hail Satan.

P.S. A spellchecker is your friend.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#32 shady2001

shady2001

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

Have you considered that a small amount of absinthe (say, 30ml) could have a significant placebo effect towards accelerated lucidity? I drink it myself to get my thoughts moving, but this is no way implying that it is a hallucinogenic, mind-altering substance. At best, it is a delicious, refreshing natural stimulant in the way caffeine gets you out of bed and into the office. There's nothing wrong with that.

#33 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Might actually be more along the lines of Hemingway's "Write drunk, edit sober." quip.

The effects of both caffeine and alcohol on the mind are pretty well known, especially their relation to creativity.

In pursuit of creative endeavors sometimes I drink just a bit, often absinthe. I don't get Hemingway style drunk as that makes my work way too sloppy, but it could just as well be whiskey and sometimes is. I know a poet (past laureate of North Carolina no less) who swears by Scotch as his muse. To each their own.

The problem with absinthe is the false perception of thujone. Everyone thinks that it is special but in relation to other chemicals it's just not. It was the scapegoat that fueled the bans and thus it gets the attention, special regulations, and wives tales regardless of the now proven truth. There are plenty of other chemicals in absinthe both from wormwood and other botanicals. However, the main active ingredient in absinthe is still ethanol and you will feel those effects long before any others. For many chemicals, including thujone, you would die from too much ethanol before you hit the lowest discernible effect level. Thus, it is meaningless in relation to absinthe as a drink. Anethole (anise) and fenchome (fennel) share the same fate from what I have researched, although they appear to be very mild stimulants. Better off drinking pastis for lucidity. Or just eat a handful of green anise so the ethanol doesn't get in the way.

I understand that some people don't want to give up the myths. Many built up an ego around being dangerous and trying absinthe on their tourist trap filled vacation. Some people made up stories and are now caught in their lies. Others want to retain the "bad boy badge" that absinthe gave them when it was still banned.

As is often the case, the truth is much less dramatic.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#34 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

I did thoroughly enjoy the taste of Absinthe, so does ABC liquor carry it, or do I need to order Lucid online?
If anything I could make green Dragon with it too as a sanctity

Lucid is probably the easiest to find on the shelf.  As for ordering online check the vendors on the WS front page, Catskill ships to your state and I like everything they have more than Lucid.  As for the ABC store, I looked at the webpage and didn't see anything. 

#35 omera

omera

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Is so delicious though .

#36 omera

omera

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Have you considered that a small amount of absinthe (say, 30ml) could have a significant placebo effect towards accelerated lucidity? I drink it myself to get my thoughts moving, but this is no way implying that it is a hallucinogenic, mind-altering substance. At best, it is a delicious, refreshing natural stimulant in the way caffeine gets you out of bed and into the office. There's nothing wrong with that.

Yes, see, this, theres a certain sorcerous tint to it. Certainly a mild entheogen to alchemical work.
When I write I find subtle thoughts in the context. those are your daemons, perse from a sort of alchemical view

#37 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#38 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

PlanesTrainsAutomobiles2_zpsf20c70fa.jpg

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#39 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

I can't believe I missed this thread!  Fantastic!  But surely this was a lounge lizard yanking our chains….

Hiram, thanks for posting the TED talk…very thought provoking…and then Satan showed up!

Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association