• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Massakre8492nd

Massakre8492nd

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

Happy New Year People! But back to the topic, I just finished that dreadful Dr Jekyll (Oh my... The sugar... THE SUGAR is EVERYWHERE!) and i do not know what to do. I want to start again, so i come here to You to ask: What would be a good middle-shelf (and by that i mean cheap, but not  too cheap, reasonable!) Absinthe? I heard Lucid is good, any othe suggestions?

#2 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,722 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

The WS Absinthe Buyer's Guide/Brand Reviews.

There should be more than enough reviews there to set you on a steady course. :cheers: 

Edited by Absomphe, 30 December 2013 - 04:15 PM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#3 Dollburger

Dollburger

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

I've been drinking absinthe for maybe 5 years now, and the first thing I do prior to purchasing anything new is check the reviews on WS. If it's under a 3 - 3.5 or so I stay away, and haven't been disappointed yet.

#4 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

I would agree with Dollbuger. Anything over 3.5 stars is a safe buy. 

Don't go bellow 3 stars no matter how cheep. I just scrolled all the reviews and I think that is a very good rule.

As for Lucid, many absinthes rate higher for the same price.

#5 Phoney

Phoney

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

I haven't seen absinthe so far in Europe that was middle shelf quality for a middle shelf price. That category of absinthe doesn't really exist yet (or, rather, not for the right price). I wouldn't even buy Kübler, since Turkish rakis are almost as good for third (!) the money (here in Middle Europe, at least, but Poland cannot be much different).

There are very good absinthes from 30-35€ a bottle. You should order St. Antione, some of the Eichelbergers, Akveld's, François Guy, or anything that received more than just 3 starrs in that price range. Go cheaper and you'll have another bottle of Jekyll-like crap that doesn't worth any more than the cheapest ouzo.

#6 Massakre8492nd

Massakre8492nd

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:17 AM

Thank you People, problem is that guy who is supplying me with party juice needs to know brand first (trying to get any quality Absinthe in so called "specialty" shop, which i might translated badly, is a miracle, they really do not have an idea what quality absinthe is. One guy recommended me King of Spirits Gold... I ran away and might have set a world record in 100 meters run)

#7 Massakre8492nd

Massakre8492nd

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:01 AM

So i checked out the reviews and offer so this is the list of what I found:

-Belle Amie

-Duplais Balance

-Duplais Verte

-François Guy (has been recommended by Phoney)

-Jade PF 1901

-Kübler 53

-Sauvage

Price on each one is pretty damn attractive and ratings are pretty high, BUT if you have somebad experience with any of these, please tell me.

#8 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

That's not a bad list to start with.

You can move up from there.

Cheers!

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#9 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Sauvage is not one you're going to find (it was a limited run)...Kulber's pretty average, but it's also very, very cheap.

The Duplais right now...based on the bottlings I have are NOT great. A handful of people are finding that there's a dip in the quality in flavor after a few years of some products...usually it improves again later, but I've tried all three Duplais in the last year and they're not great at the moment (but I'm hopeful for the future). Would party-goers notice this problem? Probably not.

If you're able to get either Absinthe Valkyria or Absinthe Wolf, they're both pretty good.

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#10 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Meadow of Love from Delaware Phoenix Distillery is really nice.

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#11 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

The Duplais right now...based on the bottlings I have are NOT great. A handful of people are finding that there's a dip in the quality in flavor after a few years of some products...usually it improves again later, but I've tried all three Duplais in the last year and they're not great at the moment (but I'm hopeful for the future). Would party-goers notice this problem? Probably not.

That's too bad. Balance was fantastic when it was new. Of course those were the days before the US brands came about and raised the bar a bit, and its prototype was better than the finished product. But I still found it excellent.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#12 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

Yeah...we just got a bottle of both the Blanche and Balance in the last few months...we rated them around a 3 with how they're currently doing. Hopefully in a year or so we can revisit them and give them a higher score.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#13 Massakre8492nd

Massakre8492nd

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:56 AM

ok, Is Marteau really that good? i've seen it got 5/5 from NYTrekkie but that also raised my warning flag because of previous experience with max rated items.

#14 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Being that I haven't tried the Master's Reserve, I probably should just shut my trap. But WTF... I can remember back to when we had a member here who regularly opined on things about which he had no real experience or knowledge and I'm feeling just a little extra insouciant today.

Having tasted the other incarnations of Marteau, the MMR is one I can't wait to try. These days I'm not inclined, like I used to be, to try every new absinthe that comes down the pike. I'd love to, if it weren't for the fact that it is a pricey undertaking. But believe me, when I have some expendable ching lying around, I'll order a bottle of MMR in a heartbeat. Of the 53 reviews I have posted here, the previous versions of Marteau enjoy the #1 and #17 spot in my personal rankings, and the version at the #17 spot is scored by all three editors and several users to be in the second echelon of rankings we define in our scoring system. So unless the guy who makes these just woke up one day and forgot how to make absinthe, I'd say it's a very safe bet.

The only thing that puzzles me about this question is that MMR is not exactly a "middle shelf" price. I'm assuming you can be shipped by some of our recommended vendors, and most that carry MMR also carry Pacifique. If it were me, I'd throw a bottle of that into the order as well since it is truly top echelon, and at a truly middle shelf price. I can tell you I've had far worse days than the one when a box containing Marteau and Pacifique showed up at my door. :twitchsmile:

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#15 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

The Master's Reserve is good. Like, really good. If I have to buy some Marteau, I'm going to be saving the extra bucks for the Master's Reserve (luckily I just stocked up).

Thought I'd pour a glass for scientific purposes. It's definitely tasty.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#16 Massakre8492nd

Massakre8492nd

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

@fingerpickinblue actually, i know it's not middle shelf, my friend owes me a favour so i decided that he could buy me something good >:D

#17 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

I just want to note that getting an American absinthe shipped from a vendor to Poland can be very expensive.  If you find a way to do it cheaply let us know.  

I did a little internet search and found a shop in Warsaw

http://absyntsklep.pl/

I know nothing about this place.  And half of what they have is Bainsfather fake sinthe.  But they do have a few very good French and Swiss brands. Anything by Fils d'Emile Pernot, Oliver Matter, and C-A Bugnon is good.

Do check our online recomend vendors, sometimes they can be cheaper than a local shop.

#18 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

A glass of this was the first drink I've had since feeling better. The wormwood profile is amazing. It's among one of the best brands in the world as far as I am concerned. If I lived overseas I'd try to import it somehow.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#19 Massakre8492nd

Massakre8492nd

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

@TheLoucheyMonster! Thanks for that link!

#20 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:29 AM

As per Loucheys link, and for a reasonable price comparatively, I would go with the Blanchette, Kübler, or Duplais. In that order. If price isn't a factor, I personally would go with the Vieux Pontarlier, Berthe De Joux,, or a Bugnon. As to the Duplais verte, the first bottle I had seemed kinda tame and dainty. Nothing to fall head over heels for, more in the delicate swiss style. This latest bottling though, seems to have progressed  to a more robust, rugged and masculine profile. Maybe leaning towards those that like a slight bitterness in their absinthe. I don't think all absinthes should be silky and luxurious, I like variety. And they all don't have to be stellar either. Sometimes I want a drink that I can sit and mull over the flavors and aromas, and sometimes I want something with a bite to it. And sometimes I want something that works good in a trail bottle. I guess it's all about personal preference, mood and all that.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#21 Massakre8492nd

Massakre8492nd

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:40 AM

I don't mind if it's delicate, I just want something good so i can say "yes, i drink absinthe" and not some fake, sugared thing that poses as one, and in Poland they are very common.

#22 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Having tasted the other incarnations of Marteau, the MMR is one I can't wait to try...unless the guy who makes these just woke up one day and forgot how to make absinthe, I'd say it's a very safe bet.

No need to worry; the MMR is very good.  I will say that I sensed a bit of a change from the previous version of Marteau…at a guess, I would say that one of the finishing herbs has been dialed up in the mix, very slightly.  Maybe a. pontica?  It reminded me a bit of the Leopold, though the flavor was not quite so intense.

Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#23 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

I liked the sample I had of the MMR.

I just have so many things lying around that I need to do some serious drinking before I can justify adding to my reserve.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association