which Jade should I try next?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

Im surprised no ones mentioned Authentique, after having preban Georges Pernod circa 1910 theres a striking similarity in flavour profile and body that I havent been able to match after trying over 30 varieties of the creme of todays CO range. Even on pouring the feuille morte is rather uncanny.

Edited by gee13, 17 January 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#32 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

@gee13 - Authentique is one of my new favorites as well. 

#33 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

+1

#34 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

I've tried a lot less than many of you, but from what I've tried Authentique is easily a favourite. Going from Taboo & Lucid to Authentique was an eye opening moment.

#35 shady2001

shady2001

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

Call me an idiot but I found authentique pretty meh. The aroma smelt promising but I found the spice and ww profile too strong in the mix for my liking, and just a bit of noticeable alcohol heat left after 1:5~ish dilution. I had a clandestine after and that was extremely mellow with almost no attack at all, it's very likable and moderately complex for how smooth it is. The 1901 hits the sweet spot in the middle; the first few sips I had were really creamy and flavourful, but as I neared the halfway mark the power started to build and the herbs really went to work on my palate, such that I could still taste them an hour after. Really in a class of its own (so far).

Maybe try the VS? Oh but since you've tried vintage PF (you lucky bugger!) I'm not sure if anything else would impress you.

#36 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,970 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

PF1901 was my favorite for many years.  Because of this damn thread ;) , I had a glass the other night.  It's still very good but no longer my favorite.  There are at least 3-to-5 US offerings I prefer.  I also prefer keeping the extra $30-$40 dollars in my pocket.

#37 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,603 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:48 AM

What the big, black bear said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#38 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:02 AM

Ironically it takes $30-50 more than Euro CO offerings for us aussies to get in US produce, spare a thought.. we can only dream of a time when a place like abs will distribute US absinthes

#39 shady2001

shady2001

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:53 AM

yeah, when you're paying 150 and up for any kind of imported absinthe that does not have a local distributor, cost ironically becomes less of a factor at that stage. eventually i do want to move onto MoL etc., but I suspect the next on my list will be un emile or roquette. in all things moderation...sante!

#40 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

Shady I just noticed youre downunder as well. We managed to succesfully get a couple of bottles of MoL in couple of months ago - thanks to the efforts of Jake Barnes via Shipito. Ive also been fortunate to have a mate from the US bring over some Walton Waters. We've also been fortunate to be able to possibly the first aussies to try Ridge and Marteau.

I guess without derailing the thread I could offer a suggestion of the Jade Blanchette. IT wasnt really my favourite at the start but I really enjoy it now along with Pernot's Maison Fontaine. Blanches are really a different cup of tea to vertes.

#41 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,970 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

They are indeed.  I was a big fan of Blanchette.  Most blanches are disappointingly one-dimensional.

My sincere empathy to our friends in Australia.  For what little solace it may be worth, the US absinthe world was painfully bleak only a very few years ago.  I know there are some of your countrymen working diligently to create high quality, traditional absinthe.  To happier times happening very soon. :cheers:

#42 tadamick

tadamick

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

I've been out of the game for awhile, but just unearthed a 7 year old Jade N.O. and it was every bit as delicious as I remembered from that long ago.  I guess I lean toward this one as it was my first real absinthe and so it will always be a sentimental favorite.

#43 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

They are indeed.  I was a big fan of Blanchette.  Most blanches are disappointingly one-dimensional.

My sincere empathy to our friends in Australia.  For what little solace it may be worth, the US absinthe world was painfully bleak only a very few years ago.  I know there are some of your countrymen working diligently to create high quality, traditional absinthe.  To happier times happening very soon. :cheers:

Understand that a lot of of it is beyond your control Joe. However if you or any other US distilleries can get Abs to distribute then its going to be much easier for us to get your absinthes down here for sure. Now speaking of our countrymen distilling I have a long awaited sample of Reverie to consume this afternoon, thanks to Jake Barnes  :cheerz:

#44 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

Until I finish my time machine (damn, I've been working on it for 50 years now!) I won't be able to know what absinthe tasted like back in the day. 
A few of us were lucky enough to taste Pernod Fils "very green", a number of years ago, and it was so well preserved that it â€‹must​ have closely approximated what fresh pre-ban top marque absinthe tasted like. While all the Jades exhibit some striking similarities to the above, the marc base that Ted uses exhibits a noticeable muskiness (some have called it "funk", others a "burnt" characteristic) that is completely absent from the PF "very green", and, I suspect, from any other quality marque of the Belle Epoque.  

Just on the strength of this statement, I had to get out and finish the rest of my sample bottle of that stuff. My opinion is, no not the case at all. In fact, if nothing else, it reminds me *of* a cross between PF1901 and Edouard, maybe because it has sat in a sample bottle for the past 5 years. Which says what, I don't know. Just my two pfennig.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#45 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

I hear that, Speedle, but I've experienced (and heard of) far too many sample bottle contents which have not continue to age nearly as well as the same contents allowed to remain in their original bottles. I suspect the stuff I sampled (back when) and yours today would have tasted significantly different, although, there's no way to verify that, obviously.

Good to see you, btw. :cheers: 

Edited by Absomphe, 25 January 2014 - 04:46 PM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#46 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

I had the good fortune to have both circa 1900 PF and 2013 Jade 1901 at the same sitting. Prepared the exact same way. Yesterday.

Was pretty amazed at the similarities between the two. Some aspects were spot on. Others; not as much.

Much respect for Jade (and Ted) - but yeah... who knows what the stuff actually tasted exactly like freshly bottled. 

#47 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

I hear that, Speedle, but I've experienced (and heard of) far too many sample bottle contents which have not continue to age nearly as well as the same contents allowed to remain in their original bottles. I suspect the stuff I sampled (back when) and yours today would have tasted significantly different, although, there's no way to verify that, obviously.

Good to see you, btw. :cheers: 

Thanks! It's good to stop by once and a while.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#48 Wormwoad

Wormwoad

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Jade's 'L'esprit d'edouard' is probably my favorite absinthe.

So that most certainly has my vote, although I have not yet tasted all of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association