Sign in to follow this  
absinthe360

If I don’t like Roquette 1797 might I like other vertes?

Ive only had two absinthes, La Clandestine and Roquette 1797.

I really enjoyed la Clandestine, which is a Bleue.

But I found Roquette 1797 to be absolutely undrinkable (to me, a complete novice).

It seamed a little bitterer but that wasnt my problem with it, it just had a lot of herbal planty flavors I didnt like.

I tried it with various ratios of water and sugar but nothing made it palatable to me.

Since I dont like Roquette 1797 will I dislike all vertes?

Or is Roquette kind of in its own category?

Thanks.

Edited by absinthe360

The Roquette is definitely a big undertaking for a novice palate, as Louchey said about medicinal is true because in the early days that is what absinthe was sold as, I think elixir would be the better word. But please do not give up on it, save it, as your palate will develop over time and you may come to enjoy it, it happens to be my favorite because of the large herbal profile.

Just go back to the review section, read it, ask questions here, I'm sure you'll find quite a few great vertes that you'll enjoy.

Don't be surprised if all your perceptions and preferences change over time. Even having several glasses of the absinthe you didn't enjoy, over the course of a few days, will reveal new things, and you may feel differently. Absinthe is such a unique experience, and many of us simply have never before been exposed to these flavors, aromas... After several different brands, some time, and your palate changing, you will notice, most likely, that even the Roquette will seem different than the first time you tried it! It doesn't mean you'll like it, you may and you may not... I bet many of us here had this experience, however!

Well Roquette is really an radical absinthe ... I would suggest if you can try jade edouard , jade nouvelle orléans also Butterfly from CAB , Absinthes.com sell sample via absinthe explore so it could give you an idea before you buy

Yup, what they all said.

I like Roquette very much but I only have it when I'm in just the right mood. It is very definitely not typical, and it's not a flavor I crave on a nightly basis. But it is very good, for what it is meant to be -- an extremely herbal absinthe. I find it holds up to more water than I normally use; 3:1 is my usual standard, I like Roquette better at 4:1 or even a hair more. It also needs sugar to help balance it out.

But I'm sure you will greatly enjoy the other vertes recommended in the thread. All great, all with their own style. The variety is what makes it so much fun.

Roquette is one of my favorites,however I don't find that it needs sugar.(for me anyway) Keep that bottle and revisit it from time to time.A couple of years ago,I sold/traded a couple bottles of Sauvage & kept an open bottle for myself.I really didn't like it at the time,but now I regret ever having let those two bottles go.

Might be a bad batch. Probably the majority here have older bottles still open. Has anyone here tasted the latest batch and compared it with an older bottling? Would be curious to know. Maybe TC has more recent bottle?

Edited by greytail

My current bottle of Roquette is pretty new, shipped to me in August. I don't know if there's a newer one since. But it is unquestionably distinctive and atypical so I don't think it's necessarily an off-batch. Much as I enjoy it I can see where it would not appeal to many people.

Then again, I love Fernet Branca, straight up. Most of my friends can't get past one sip. To each his own...

You were able to compare to an older bottle? If not, how can you know what is atypical and distinctive for this absinthe?

To answer your question absinthe360, like others have said, try more vertes. Don't judge them all based on this one.

Edited by greytail

Thanks, guys.

I was kind of thinking Roquette was a-typical.

When I first made my purchase I was considering getting a more mainstream verte, but "-VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE-" made me think I should try it while I could.

Then again, I love Fernet Branca, straight up. Most of my friends can't get past one sip. To each his own...

Then you'd love San Francisco, it's like the city's drink. They are so crazy about it there that they serve it from taps.

Edited by Cajun Magic

I live 8 miles from San Francisco. :)

But I actually discovered Fernet in Italy in 1968, years before I moved here. I'm a long-time addict.

I'm rather pleased that my daughter's fiancé loves Fernet. A sign of a serious gentleman.