Sign in to follow this  
Massakre8492nd

From what I should stay away?

Basicaly, the worst you ever had, i still have 350ml of Dr Jekyll that i need to endure before i'm gonna change that bottle into a lamp, so give me your thoughts on what is in your definition the absolutely worst (if You can could you personaly rate them (and if You have any experience with Dr Jekyll, rate it too) using 0 to 10 scale, 10 being apocalypse an 0 being Not as bad)

In advance, I apologise for my grammar

Stay away from anything with a misspelling of absinthe, it's not a typo (absent etc..). I also stay away from websites and descriptions that highlight the many myths about the drink, usually those companies are trying to lure you in using misinformation.

,, what a terrible start i had XD

Hey, you are not alone! here is an old 'bad absinth(e) thread. You will see Absinthion and Jekyll mentioned. :wacko:

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/topic/1068-worst-absinthe-ever/

What should you stay away from? A good rule is that if it was not reviewed in the reviews page,

or mentioned in the Brand Discussion, ....It is probably bad.

I think the worst I had was next to the purple one I tried at a green hour a few years back. I think it had a large woody, wormwood stem in the bottle. I don't remember which one it was, but it was Czech. Batch 3 of "Brimstone Absinthe Liqueur" was up there as well. It had a wonderful louche but was cloyingly sweet and then insanely bitter, like a czechsinthe.

There are small patches of earth on my property that will never grow grass again. At past Green Hours, we dedicated a small chunk of time to electing the most despicable excuse for absinthe being sold. Most samples of fauxsinthe were spit on the ground in abject horror. The competition is found on the fauxsinthe list Evan posted. :puke:

Hills. My first (at a Canadian friends place) "absinthe" ever, is still the worst I've had. I smuggled a bottle of Green Tree that came a very close second. LTV was the last fauxsinthe I've had, and while it wasn't properly absinthe, I've definitely had worse liquor.

The worst thing that called itself absinthe that I've had was King of Spirits Gold. Le Tourment Verte was also bad-bad.

The worst all-the-parts-are-there oil mix absinthe I've had was Montana 68, and that's just a stumble up from LTV.

The worst legitimate, distilled with loving care absinthe I've had was Angelique. It tasted like toothpaste and was awful in a sad but hilarious way. And yet still very drinkable compared to the other things I've listed.

Regarding Angelique, that must have been quite awhile ago, when CAB was coloring heavily with the wormwood. It seems nobody liked it. I never tried the older versions. The more recent batches are actually pretty decent.

I remember he told me when I was there in Oct 2011 that they were modifying the recipe a bit.

It wasn't even the AA that bugged me so much, although that was a bit annoying. It was the fact that it was like a Colgate absinthe.