Hi everyone, My name's Wiktor and I'm looking for a good drink for special occasions, my adventure with Absinthe, if you could even say it was Absinthe, didn't started very well (first was Polish Apsinthion, then German Dr Jekyll... yeah, not the best stuff but it was avaible and i kinda liked them) and i'm looking for something that is actualy good, actualy i'm looking for two things:

1. The very best absinthe around, something for special occasions.

2. An affordable middle-shelf absinthe that could give me good absinthe experience (and by that i mean color, good and strong taste without too much sweetness, you add sugar for that after all :D)

So yeah, i'm very new to the Absinthe and i would be very grateful for help.

Hi Wiktor. There are a couple of threads that will help you answer your questions. Look for "Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes" and "What ya drinking tonight." both threads are easily located in The Bistro. So much of your questions are really a matter of personal tastes. Check out those two threads and you'll get a wealth of opinions.

Please notice, I took the liberty of correcting your spelling of absinthE. We like the "e" on authentic absinthe. Absinth (sans "e") is often a word choice made by producers of crapsinth. Just sayin'. Also, some of us are pretty persnickety when it comes to punctuation and grammar so for your own peace of mind, use spell-check, find that shift-key and capitalize those proper nouns and pronouns, please. We don't really have too many rules here but several of us would appreciate a little clarity in communication. ;)

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy yourself. :cheers:

Welcome and cheers Wiktor! :cheers: What Joe said, also look at the brand reviews section on the main website. Tasting notes are something I look into before buying something I've never tried before.

Edited by Cajun Magic

Quoting Joe Legate: "Please notice, I took the liberty of correcting your spelling of absinthE. We like the "e" on authentic absinthe. Absinth (sans "e") is often a word choice made by producers of crapsinth. Just sayin'. Also, some of us are pretty persnickety when it comes to punctuation and grammar so for your own peace of mind, use spell-check, find that shift-key and capitalize those proper nouns and pronouns, please. We don't really have too many rules here but several of us would appreciate a little clarity in communication. ;)"

Yeah, I'm sorry about that, I learned English mostly from video games so grammar is tricky to me (even in Polish, which is my main language, but it's because i'm lazy, i'm not proud of it :( that's also from where i got "absinth" because of polish word "Absynt", there is no E at the end. Thank you Joe!

Edited by Massakre8492nd

Welcome Wiktor! There are a lot of Absinthe brands out there some great and others not so great! - You should read the reviews that are posted here for a good starting point and see what is available in your area. I found I have to ship mine in from NY State as nothing in my area appeals to me. Look me up and you can see where I have been and where I am now with my Absinthe adventures. Cheers :cheers: and Happy Drinking!

Edited by NYTrekkie

Welcome!

Check some of the recently posted brands in the Top Ten thread for the answer to both of your questions.

Due to the lack of knowledge most consumers have, you can buy really nice absinthe and also terrible absinthe for about the same price. The market has yet to stratify itself towards top, middle, and bottom shelf.