Dollburger

Cold weather and shipping

I never really considered this but I saw an asterisk on a website that made me think, so I thought I'd ask you all. Is there any issue with shipping absinthe to my place during the winter months? It's going to be well below freezing for quite some time now. I'm not worried about the booze freezing obviously, but just wondered if sub feeling temps alter it at all.

I've been wondering about the same previously, but I think I now can say it doesn't really matter, after getting several bottles delivered during winter here. Here the temp often drops below -15, -20 celsius, and my shipments must have been stored in this temperature several times (customs, rerouting at the border etc).

But others might have different experiences.

Edit: It could also be that the couriers avoid storing packages in unheated environments for all I know. Would be logic.

Edited by Mork

That is the general consensus: do not store absinthe in the refrigerator or freezer. However, we have seen bottles left outside for weeks in the dead of our Montana winters (low of -18f today. Whee!) without ill effect. That said, I would not hesitate to place an order.

Maybe it's due to a higher alcohol content?

I've experienced some pastis (of a brand I don't really wanna mention) left in the cold for just one or two nights. There the anethole (I guess?) had separated and these "bubbles" wouldn't even dissolve again back in room temperature for about a week. Adding cold water just made a mess floating in the glass.

Ok good, because waiting for warm weather here is waiting way too long for a refill! It's -3 F currently (-19c) but I won't be ordering till around Christmas time so hopefully I get a few weeks a bit warmer...relatively speaking of course!

I just got a shipment delivered two days ago and can imagine it was in the cold for some time = customs holding, local sort facility, delivery truck, doorstep...

We were -12 degrees the other day and all of my bottles seem to be just fine!

That said... I wouldn't willingly subject the faerie to such extremes :fork:

You can occasionally see the little globs of herbal candies form when making an absinthe frappe'. The separation becomes even more noticable with arak and raki (like pastis) but I haven't seen it happen in a bottle of absinthe left out in the cold. Perhaps the higher abv of absinthe is the reason.

Many...many years ago I left some Simple Pernod (anisette?) out in the cold for a few hours and when I brought it in it looked partially cloudy. Once it warmed up to room temperature though it looked fine, and tasted "fine" or as well as it could, being what it was. It was before I was into absinthe, and I don't remember what the temperature was outside, maybe around freezing, maybe around 20 degrees.

I've gotten some very cold deliveries and everything was fine.

If I were to ship booze, I would wrap it well with bubble wrap or lots of newspaper.

Not only will it keep it from breaking but will insulate and slow the temperature changes.

That's why some folks have cellars, to stabilize/minimize temp changes.

Just one drunks opinion. ;)

Cheers!