Photo

Can I just add table sugar to louched absinthe?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 absinthe360

absinthe360

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

I've got a couple of little 50ml vials coming (La Clandestine, and Roquette 1797).
And I've got a couple of questions about sugar.

Since I don't know how much sugar to add for my taste yet.
Can I just louche it without sugar and then add table sugar to taste, Instead of dripping water over sugar while louching?

I don't see why not, but I'm a newblet.

Also can excessive stirring do any harm?

Thanks.

#2 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Yes, add sugar to suit you.

No, you can't harm it.

Cheers!

B

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#3 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

I have done it, back in the day when I used sugar, and it really is fine, no worries. :cheers:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#4 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

The only rule for absinthe is

:no-czechs3:

anything else is good.  Have fun experimenting, trying different ways.  :euro:

#5 absinthe360

absinthe360

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Thanks guys for the info. Don't worry I won't set it on fire.

#6 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

The only rule for absinthe is

:no-czechs3:

anything else is good.    

I'm sure one should douche with it, but I've tried a few that made me feel like one for not immediately sinking them. :paperbag3: 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#7 50p

50p

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

I have used table sugar before, the drink comes out nicely but I do feel some of the beauty in the ritual is lost.

#8 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

I recommend making up some simple sugar (equal parts sugar and water heated to dissolve then brought back to room temp). You'll be able to add it at your discretion, and you won't have to worry about problems with it dissolving.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#9 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

What Brian said. I keep some in a bottle that has an eyedropper for easy portion control. 

Gomme syrup is also really yummy. I wish there was some in the house.  :no:

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#10 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Gomme syrup may improve mouthfeel in some absinthes. :)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#11 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Also, it is important to know that sugar has nother (whatsoever) to do with the louching process-  It louches the same, with or without sugar.  Any neutral sweetener, like gomme, table sugar, cubes, or even light agave syrup works.

And... a good many of us don't use any sugar at all.  I might use sugar in 1 out of every 8-10 glasses.

Welcome to our wonderful world.  Your wallet will never feel the same!

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#12 Wormwoad

Wormwoad

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

What some people do is just make sugar water, and THEN drip it in, like mentioned above.
I really haven't seen why this would be a bad idea, unless you are using a fountain or carafe that might be damaged by passing sugar through.

If you are just using a carafe and it is easily cleaned, this wouldn't be a bad idea. About one crushed sugar cube ought to do the trick. But sometimes if you have a very small or thin carafe, it can be very difficult to clean afterward if you leave it sit overnight.

I will say, though, I have used a brown sugar cube before and it definitely changes the taste. As with any ingredient, it's all up to your personal preferences. I can't even justify using city tap water, even if purified, for personal consumption. Haha.

#13 Emerald

Emerald

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

I've tried using the sugar water method when I've run out of sugar cubes (measured out to the exact packed cube to loose sugar ratio, according to comparative charts) and just personally I do notice a difference in taste. I've even tried making the sugar water slightly sweeter in case the ratio I was using was a little on the conservative side for the size of the sugar cubes I typically use, but although there was an improvement, again I got the same slight difference in the quality of the taste - I can't quite put my finger on it. I use white sugar by the same manufacturer whether in cubes or loose, but I'm wondering if there's something to do with the size of the individual granules, or a slightly different manufacturing process, or...hmm, yeah, I'm not sure, something to look into perhaps. I'm thinking I should do a side by side comparison with the same Absinthe, and then maybe experiment a bit more with different ratios. Sugar cubes per pack can be expensive, so an alternative would be nice for when we've run out. I'm wondering how much of the taste difference is psychological as well, being so used to the ritual of dissolving the sugar cubes rather than just dripping in sugar water. 

#14 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,751 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

F*** the idiotic ritual, the French of the Belle Epoque had ridiculous sweet teeth.

Try not using sugar at all, as most true absinthes don't require any, and your palate will thank you for allowing the true taste of the herbs to shine through.

#15 Emerald

Emerald

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

F*** the idiotic ritual, the French of the Belle Epoque had ridiculous sweet teeth.

Try not using sugar at all, as most true absinthes don't require any, and your palate will thank you for allowing the true taste of the herbs to shine through.

I have a ridiculous sweet tooth as well  :laugh:. I have tried different Absinthes with sugar, and without, and I do prefer with sugar - each to their own, and all that.  :cheers:

(I must admit I actually find the sugar brings out more of the flavour in an Absinthe, like I can taste more depth, and layers, and nuances with sugar than I can without - fascinating how different palates respond in different ways)

Edited by Emerald, 28 October 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#16 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

I almost always use sugar.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#17 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:07 AM

And yet Pacifique is so delightfully complex and delicious, all on its own.

To each his or her own, indeed. :) 

#18 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

It's like using sugar in tea of coffee, up to each person. I rarely use sugar and if I do it's usually for demonstration.

Plenty of people love sugar in their absinthe and there's nothing wrong with that either.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association