#1 MaxThrusters

MaxThrusters

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:35 AM

Hello fellow absinthe fans!

I'm in Ottawa, Canada, and have been a fan of absinthe for quite a few years. My current favourite brand is La Clandestine, a swiss 'bleue', which is available here at the government shop (L.C.B.O.) for the ridiculous price of $99. It's also available over the nearby provincial border in Quebec for $88 which isn't much better, since in Europe it's $65! I'm not a particularily frugal person, but our taxes on liquor are quite onerous.

My current favourite 'verte' is not available locally: Esprit Edouard 72'. I recently imported a bottle from Europe, along with a bottle each of Roquette 1797, and La Berthe de Joux (both from Pernot et Fils in Pontarlier and neither available locally either, boo!). 

Previous brands I have tried included Un Emile 68, Un Emile Sapin, Absente (yuck), Taboo (yay Canada!), Lucide (funk smell, ugh), my goodness so many others I can't remember.

I've collected some silver plated spoons from Frenchman (why did he switch to boring stainless? Sigh), a few carafes that never worked as well as hoped, and one czech fountain which is way too short for my glassware: french Pontarlier and Torsade glasses.

I do enjoy turning people onto absinthe for the first time, with the ritual and history thereto..although I hate having to counter the false views re thujone and the so-called 'bohemian method' with fire.

I'm on twitter too. Say hey sometime! (Bilingue, anglais/francais)

Max

#2 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Welcome, Max! :cheers:

#3 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yes, welcome to you!

#4 JakeBarnes

JakeBarnes

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Welcome Max,  I empathise with you on the prices. You can't get a bottle of true absinthe for under $100 here in Australia ($A and $C are worth almost exactly the same at present) and I've seen one website that sells Jade VS for $300 (http://www.nicks.com...-absinthe-750ml). The taxes are outrageous. Though if there's a silver lining I suppose its that it helps keep the drink out of the hands of 19 year olds who want to set it on fire and drink it in shots. Anyway, welcome to the forum  :cheers:​ 

Isn't it pretty to think so?

#5 AndrewMTO

AndrewMTO

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

I'm in Ottawa, Canada, and have been a fan of absinthe for quite a few years. My current favourite brand is La Clandestine, a swiss 'bleue', which is available here at the government shop (L.C.B.O.) for the ridiculous price of $99. It's also available over the nearby provincial border in Quebec for $88 which isn't much better, since in Europe it's $65! I'm not a particularily frugal person, but our taxes on liquor are quite onerous.

My current favourite 'verte' is not available locally: Esprit Edouard 72'. I recently imported a bottle from Europe, along with a bottle each of Roquette 1797, and La Berthe de Joux (both from Pernot et Fils in Pontarlier and neither available locally either, boo!). 

Previous brands I have tried included Un Emile 68, Un Emile Sapin, Absente (yuck), Taboo (yay Canada!), Lucide (funk smell, ugh), my goodness so many others I can't remember.

I've collected some silver plated spoons from Frenchman (why did he switch to boring stainless? Sigh), a few carafes that never worked as well as hoped, and one czech fountain which is way too short for my glassware: french Pontarlier and Torsade glasses.

I do enjoy turning people onto absinthe for the first time, with the ritual and history thereto..although I hate having to counter the false views re thujone and the so-called 'bohemian method' with fire.

Max

Bonjour/Hello Max from another Canadian in Ontario. :cheers:

#6 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hey there! I'm glad that you're able to get a better selection than the LCBO can. ;)

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#7 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Welcome.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#8 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Welcome to the Forum!  :cheers:

#9 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hola.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#10 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Welcome and cheers Max! :cheers:
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#11 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Welcome to the WS! :cheers:

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#12 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

Max

Hi Max and welcome. J'ai deja dit "Bonjour" sur Twitter.

I was in Ottawa in May at the Absinthe Restaurant. They are doing a good job.

As far as prices (and availability) in Canada are concerned, that's a long story. The price for La Clandestine has been higher in the LCBO than in Quebec because the LCBO order was very small and there are a lot of transport costs across just a few cases. I believe that the SAQ price is even lower: their website shows $80.75 which isn't very different from some US prices for La Clandestine.

In fact there is a bigger selection and broader availability in the Quebec, helped by the fact that there was a lot of consumer pressure (including from at least two members here) on the SAQ to improve their range. Food for thought?

www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#13 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:25 AM

Hey Max, welcome. I love the OC area, been there many times. :cheers:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#14 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,678 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Greetings, Max!

:cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#15 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Accueil!

#16 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hello Max! I'm on the other side of Canada in BC, home of Taboo. Pemberton distillery in BC also puts out an absinthe but I haven't had a chance to try theirs. And some of the notes they had about it made it seem questionable.

#17 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Greetings and Welcome Max!  Most of the stuff I drink is not available locally.

I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#18 MaxThrusters

MaxThrusters

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hey, thanks for all the friendly greetings! 

With respect to some comments, here are my replies:

Taboo Absinthe: It's not 'bad' at all. It's "different": a different take on traditional absinthe. It's not as super delicious as La Clandestine, Jade Edouard, & others but it's certainly good for a change. I'm glad I tried it. I would try it again. It's just not as fantastic as other brands, while certainly MUCH better than many many awful brands.

Clandestine Absinthe pricing; We go to Gatineau to get ours. I might import three bottles from Europe to get the better price and free shipping deal in the spring, but it's not a huge deal.

Absinthe Restaurant: Whoa, how cool is it you know of this place? I am quite overdue for a return visit. Last time I went they had a choice of Hills, Taboo, and Versinthe. Not the best :/

Australia: I have heard this high pricing problem before about buying certain foreign goods down under in shops or importing directly. Taxes, fees, shipping, markups..they sure add up..

Anyway, I'm enjoying some Berthe de Joux this evening. It certainly fills the room with a lovely aroma!

Cheers

#19 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

Absinthe Restaurant: Whoa, how cool is it you know of this place? I am quite overdue for a return visit. Last time I went they had a choice of Hills, Taboo, and Versinthe. Not the best :/

In May 2013, they also had La Clandestine, Vieux Pontarlier and Lucid. They serve absinthe correctly (also in some good cocktails), so they deserve all the support that Canadians can give them.

www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#20 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

Im curious does Canada produce any good absinthes or have a history associated with it seeing the French onced domained over a sizable part of that country.. and still do culturally.. Can you share with us Max?

#21 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

As for modern Canadian absinthe, I know of three:

Taboo, (not to be confused with fauxinth Tabu) rated on the front page:

http://wormwoodsocie...:6/order:alpha/

also from Penberton

http://wormwoodsocie...itish-columbia/

and from Fils du Roy

http://wormwoodsocie...da-fils-du-roy/

As for any historic absinthe,  according to Wikipedia Taboo might actually be the first in 2007.

#22 MaxThrusters

MaxThrusters

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:12 AM

Im curious does Canada produce any good absinthes or have a history associated with it seeing the French onced domained over a sizable part of that country.. and still do culturally.. Can you share with us Max?

Well, one must remember that that New France was separated from France in every sense following the conquest by the British a long long time before Absinthe was even invented. The wealthy and noble French all went home just in time to be guillotined in the Revolution. Those who remained were the poor and uneducated, as well as the priests. Perhaps two noble families remained as well. 

#23 Cognaco

Cognaco

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

Just new myself, very interested to find out how other fellow ontarians are sourcing their absinthe. LCBO offerings seem limited.

#24 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Interested in where you guys source alternatives to Taboo.

#25 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

http://www.absinthes.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association