Sign in to follow this  
Carefree T

Leopold and Butterfly; Commonalities?

So as I venture out and try new bottles as I am able to afford now and then, I am able to pick out unique flavors in each more and more. But I cannot be very precise still; I am still trying to pick out fennel from the trinity, for example. What I have found is that there is something profoundly unique in aroma between Leopold and Butterfly, and they are my absolute favorites for it; it is a citrusy-sweet aroma that flows forth during and after the louche, and I am nearly as content to smell in the aroma of the drink as actually drink it. But I have no idea what herb it is so I can shop by that characteristic.

So my question is thus: can some of you seasoned palates perhaps theorize what Leopold and Butterfly share, which herbs are somewhat forward in those two alike? I know it is a really subjective question and almost certainly unanswerable, so perhaps I can instead ask for suggestions about what I probably would enjoy if I love the ever-loving out of those two? I have enjoyed all I have tried so far, but there is just *some* specific aroma/flavor common to these two that make me feel like a brain scan upon a smell and sip would light up all different colors!

Thanks a bunch in advance :cheerz:

[EDIT] Thought I put this in General; if it needs moving, please do.

Edited by Carefree T

it is a citrusy-sweet aroma that flows forth during and after the louche, and I am nearly as content to smell in the aroma of the drink as actually drink it.

Is it only in the aroma, or does it carry over into the taste? Would you consider it 'juicy fruitish'? :)

I just louched up a glass of Butterfly (and can ID Leopolds with my taste buds tied behind my back at this point).

Yes, yes - many similarities here. Not exact but aromas and taste are quite similar. Absolutely delicious.

I have not tried Butterfly, but I've always found Leopold's to have a nice sweet, fruit, or nectar like flavor to it. I've usually attributed this to the grape base, but with all honesty, I don't think I could differentiate between bases. I've found I like flavors in Leopold's, VdF (Now Enigma), and a few others. For a while I thought this was a tea-like flavor usually attributed to veronica, but I'm just not sure anymore. There was a batch of Leopold's that seemed more orange-y to me than the others. I think it was in the late 30's or early 40's, but I don't remember which one. It was not bad, but not a flavor I like in absinthe.

Very glad you guys are pickin' up what I'm puttin' down here!

@Brian Robinson + baubel

"Juicy fruitish" and "nectar-like" are both ways I would totally describe it, and it seems more pronounced in the aroma, but it is definitely in the taste as well.

The others hit on it..... imho, what you are tasting is the Pisco base. My suggestion would be to hit your local fine liquor store and grab a bottle of Pisco and judge for yourself.

Worst thing that could happen is that you'd enjoy a few Pisco sours.

Thank you for your interest!

Really happy to hear from the mouth of the horse! I will take that advice and run with it. I will get some pisco itself and see if that is indeed the intoxicating, fruity part of that absinthe I am so addicted to. Or more properly, can not get enough of :euro: