18 replies to this topic

#1 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

A special edition aged verte from Emile Pernot, who else?

Review Page is here.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#2 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Is this still available? Abs.com?
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#3 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

http://www.absinthes...roducts_id=1008

Looks like it is in stock. 

Only 100L made

#4 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

Thanks. When I did a quick search of new absinthes I did not see it, so thanks.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#5 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Say, does anyone know how long Emile Pernot aged these? I can't seem to find that info anywhere, at least not on any English-speaking sites.

#6 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

From what I can tell, not long enough to make a very big deal about it. It definitely has a "woody" flavor element (much like what Ancienne has) that mimics barrel aging, and some pretty heavy cinnamon notes, but I don't think either of these flavors are from long amounts of time spend in a barrel. It's definitely not as round/smooth and "vintage" feeling as Ancienne is...more like they took a really flavorful absinthe and stuck in in a barrel for a few months.

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#7 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

I was hoping you would say something like that.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#8 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Thanks Ambear! I've been looking everywhere for that information. And I agree Songcatcher- glad to hear that they went light on the barrel-aging, although it does seem to be the hot new thing to do(VSO Barrique, that aged Valkyria, etc).

Now schnell, German DHL, schnell! 

#9 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

It's fairly heavy in wormwood flavor, so that's nice. It's pretty tasty...I'm sure we won't have any problem drinking it all, but it's not unbelievably awesome or anything.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#10 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Oh good- I prefer my absinthes to be heavy on the wormwood side. I'm excited not just because it's a tasty absinthe though, but also because I'm a sucker for anything released in limited quantities haha Although truth to tell, for only 100 liters of this being made in 2011 the stuff is available everywhere

#11 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

I prefer my absinthes to be heavy on the wormwood side. 

I think pretty much everyone does.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#12 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

I don't know about that. I've definitely been around some drinkers who liked absinthe besides the "bitterness", which they mostly were getting from the wormwood-heavy drinks. Maybe just most people on this forum do?

#13 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Being wormwood-forward, does not mean it will be bitter. There are quite a few delicious absinthes that feature an up-front wormwood, that I would not describe as bitter. It's all in the herbs, and distillation.

Edited by Scott M., 26 February 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#14 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

I agree, Scott. I think in these cases they were just searching for a word to describe the wormwood(I mean how often do people who don't drink absinthe get wormwood?) and said it was bitter. More for me  :laugh:

Edited by DanPatrick, 26 February 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#15 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

Had this night before last.. nice overall flavours, very amber feuille morte in colour ... a little lacking in some other element I cant pin down directly...agree with Scott's ? Review? That seems watery at 1:4 and doesnt louche as well. Its seems more of a recipe for Authentique that went wrong somewhere along the lines of fennel and anise not in balance with WW. Needs another revisit.

Edited by gee13, 26 February 2014 - 11:26 PM.

#16 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

So I finally had some time with it. It is very tasty- a very lovely absinthe with a slight peppermint spice to it on the nose. I did have a similar experience as Gee13 did however. It felt like it was missing something I couldn't pin down that keeps it from being a truly exceptional verte. I'll have to revisit it over time and see if my opinion changes. Which I highly doubt it will considering it's already bottle aged three years since its release in 2011.

Oh on the point of aging- it looks like the rumor I had heard of it being aged before release was false. The Emile Pernot distillery had this reply to me after I asked them about it:

Hi Daniel, actually La Belle Encorceleuse was not aged, that is probably why you did not find the information :)

So there you go. 

Edited by DanPatrick, 06 March 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#17 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Weird. After retyping this a few times there's no good way to say this, but I definitely get some woody tastes in the flavor.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#18 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

I got to try a glass, as a friend bought a bottle. I don't want to say too much before trying it again, because I may think differently after another try. The louche, however, was on the thin side, and though it had some nice elements, nothing really inspired me. Finally, there's a sea of medium-quality absinthes out there, which in a way, is a good thing; decent absinthe is gaining ground over the crap. For me though, if I'm going to pony up money, I'd rather get something that really brings it home. Still, I'm holding off on deciding about this one until I have another glass or two next week at a party. One glass is not really enough, or even fair of me for that matter, to decide if something is good or not, or even if I'll like it.

#19 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

I did too, Ambear. Maybe it was from whatever herbs they used in the final maceration to get that feuille morte color?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: emile pernot, aged, verte, special edition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association