25 replies to this topic

#1 50p

50p

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hi, my name is Tom and I've been lurking around here for a month or so and finally decided that I would like to get involved in this community. I hope to learn more about this great drink, as this site has helped me to do already.

So how did I discover Absinthe? well I had it on holiday in Croatia a few years ago, and didn't think much of it, I'm not sure what it was but I'm pretty sure looking back that is was some form of Czechsinth (judging from the neon green colour). Anyway I drinking it not knowing how much better real absinthe could be. About a month ago I bought a bottle of Apsinthion Absinthe in my local Supermarket, and it was not great, but knowing that Supermarkets do not always stock the best in the way of Spirits I went online to see how it compared, I could only find one review and it was very negative, So seeing how as i hadn't found it too bad I thought lets see what I can find out. after a short search i found Alandia, and looked at the site, looked at the bottles they sold, and fell for their marketing (yes i know it was a bad move). So I bought a bottle of what they said was their "best seller" Strong68. whilst waiting for that to be delivered I started looking for reviews form other places about what I was going to get and came across this site. Since then i have read this site a lot and I have decided to try a third time, this time with a bottle of Jade PF1901. I decided on that by looking at this site and taking the highest reviewed bottle and just going for it. Anyway, that bottle is now on my shelf and as of this point unopened, I hope that it will be a step up form what I have experienced before, although I have enjoyed them, I do not feel they are a good representation of absinthe. I hope to continue to improve my experiences and share in the community here.

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

Welcome!

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

If you knew what was waiting for you in that unopened bottle.....

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#4 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Welcome. You are in for a delightful surprise with that 1901.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#5 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hi and Welcome! :cheers:

#6 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,552 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Greetings! :cheers: 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#7 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Welcome to the WS! :cheers:

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#8 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

Welcome to the Forum!

#9 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:41 AM

Welcome and cheers Tom! :cheers: You can't go wrong with Jade! :thumbup:
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#10 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:44 AM

Welcome. I'm sure a follow-up post with how the Jade compares to your fauxsinthe experiences with be a nice read :)

#11 50p

50p

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

I'm thinking I will open this tonight, I want to do this properly so does anyone have and advice on ratios to use? And I have always used sugar, but from my reading I may not need to with this, am I correct?

#12 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

Read this and this. But ultimately, let your taste buds be your guide.

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#13 50p

50p

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

Thanks, that is quite informative :) I guess I shall do some experimenting then post my results

#14 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,024 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

Welcome to the forum Tom!  :cheers:

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#15 50p

50p

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

So, as I type this, I have a glass of PF1901 sitting beside me ready to be drunk. This will be my first taste ot "real" Absinthe. Lets have a taste!

#16 50p

50p

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

OH MY GOD! that is nothing like what i've had before... so much deeper, and more complex. it feels very different in my mouth, I don't know how to describe it well but I'm sure people know what i'm talking about. Just wow! *takes another sip* Now i think i can begin to understand all the hype about good Absinthe, and why you look so poorly on the bad stuff. Thank you wormwoodsociety. :worshippy:  Cheers to you all :cheerz:

#17 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

Glad you enjoy the 1901, and welcome! :cheers:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#18 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

I'm late to the party but welcome here! I enjoyed reading your reaction to the 1901. It really is eye-opening when you first move up from either poor or mediocre absinthe and suddenly understand what all the excitement is about. You picked a great one for your first "real" experience. You're hooked now, there's no turning back. :thumbup:

"A glass of absinthe is as poetical as anything in the world. What difference is there between a glass of absinthe and a sunset?" -- (attributed to Oscar Wilde)

#19 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

OH MY GOD! that is nothing like what i've had before... 

There we go!   :cheerz:

#20 Carefree T

Carefree T

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

Wow, what a jump you made! Welcome  :drunk:

#21 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Welcome! :cheerz:

"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#22 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Now that's what I like to see. :cheers:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#23 JakeBarnes

JakeBarnes

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Welcome! Well done on choosing the PF1901, its a fantastic absinthe.

Isn't it pretty to think so?

#24 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Welcome, 1901 is my favourite of the Jade line.. I usually have sans sucre about 3:1 with this. A little sugar at first does not hurt.. tip is to consume approximately 100 ml and in a month of sitting, the oxygenation will further enhance whats in the bottle. If you're patient enough to try this.

#25 50p

50p

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the advice, I think that following some experimentation sugar is unneeded. I'm not sure I can wait a month :P maybe I should have bought two bottles!

Also thank you all for all your welcomes! Nice to know your such an active and welcoming group of people. :)

#26 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

I was in the similar boat as you not long ago, I started with bad then moved on to couple of mid range absinthes then went on to try all the Jades - 1901, Eduoard, VS 1898 and New Orleans. When you start at the top though..the disadvantage is this is your benchmark and most others will fall short of it! 

My advice would be to try a few ultra premiums to compare and contrast. Absinthe in a bottle is a very dynamic drink and ones palate can vary as the drink complexity can also vary across bottle stages. If the first taste is good, then further sitting will make the next taste even better with time, to an extent of course. Then you try other varieties and your palate changes with that!

In order to compare with the Jades I would suggest some of the lines from Claude Alain Bugnon - Butterfly, Angelique, Sade. Then on to Pernot range of  Roquette 1797, Berthe De Joux, Authentique. These are usually available now but can dissapear anytime I guess. (Well I missed out on Sauvage) If you are patient then you can really reap the rewards of different flavours coming through varying bottle stages.    

I havent really had a lot of experience with the US absinthes, apart from Walton Waters which I really enjoyed but its of a different class to the top French or Swiss. This is one which is set apart from the more 'traditional style' lines I listed  - its more a blend of nouveau flavours with traditional methods which I really enjoy as something different, like La Grenuoille!

Then theres Blanches and Bleues!! But thats another story I guess.. :twitchsmile:

Nonetheless welcome to the new adventure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association