Sign in to follow this  
MerdeVerte

CrypticKit

Hiram deleted his post before I could respond with this:

CrypticKits, your post gave me an idea. I contacted ebay about all those kits that pop up when searching for absinthe antiques or whatever.

I told them something along the lines of:

"There are a few sellers claiming that their product can be used to make absinthe by only macerating herbs, but this is not true. By definition absinthe must be distilled in some manner. Otherwise the buyer ends up with something vile and undrinkable. People who buy these products are being severely misled into thinking their infusion is a true alcoholic drink. Please put an end to this blatant fraud."

Everyone, your homework assignment is to send the same message to ebay. Maybe I will finally be able to search through their acutions without having to filter the word "kit."

Just recieved an email back from that link. Enjoy.

I suggest that you do your homework before making these uneducated remarks, maybe learn how to use google, or take a trip to your local library and do some research on the history of absinthe.

To quote from a highly respected book:Simon and Schulter's Guide to Herbs and Spices :

Henri-Louis Pernod used aniseed, fennel, hyssop, and lemonbalm along with lesser amounts of angelica, star anise, dittany, juniper, nutmeg, and veronica. These ingredients were mascerated together with wormwood plants. After leaving the mixture to sit, water was added and the mixture was distilled. Dried herbs, including more wormwood, were added to the distillate, which was then diluted with alcohol to give a concentration of about 75% alcohol by volume (8). Different absinthe manufacturers used slightly different ingredients, sometimes using calamus, which has been purported to have psychoactive effects.

I am sure that someone such as yourself recognises the name Henri-Louis Pernod? Sound familiar? Did you know that he also had an absinthe factory in France in early 1800.Pernod developed from his absinthe where he substituted wormwood with increased amounts of aniseed.

Once again, please get your facts right before making sweeping statements. Accusing someone of fraud with such a limited amount of knowlege of the facts is rather silly. Don't you think?

Have a good day,

Jamie

Hmm, is it even worth the effort to argue this with him?

That is a silly comparison. So you know better than pernod himself then? Just do a search on the history of absinthe and look at the early and original recipe's for absinthe. They did not distil. Maceration was the original method of making absinthe.

Just got another reply rebutting the corn/whiskey example.

I might if he replies one more time. I directed him to read the FAQ at feeverte.net. I'll wager he has lurked there a bit before. Tis sad, knowing that so many people are introduced into the world of absinthe via this crud. I am sure glad I found feeverte.net before I took the plunger (no pun intended to "plunger")

Meh, this one is getting fiesty :devil:

No prob....I know next to nothing about that book he mentions, however there are three things wrong here...the process mentioned, the fact that the process explicitly says distilled, and the fact he uses only one source for reference. I'm sure his response is given to anyone who will challange him and is written on a note card along with his name and parent's address. Idiot.

Hope that makes sense; I've had to drink a tonight little.

I love the condescending attitude, priceless.

You may want to mention that there are multiple plants that are called "wormwood" (sometimes to modifier infront of them is ignored) and if he thinks A.A. was added to the colouration step he must be Dr. O (or crazy since I doubt he would get a Dr. O reference).

I doubt he will listen, he already thinks he is right and anyone who disagrees with him is wrong and since he probably uses this information to justify his kits as being legit I doubt his brain will give it up willingly (many frauds and shills don't see themselves as a fraud or shill).

Why bother indeed? It is obvious from the exchange that this CrypticKits person is an imbecile. No I'm wrong. I apologize to any imbeciles that I may have offended. This person is just...an imbecile. I guess I was right.

It just shows, that once someone has something in their head, especially once they sell and endorse it, nothing is going to change their view, not even absolute truth. He claims his product is the real thing, and while I am sure he does not commit fraud in the sense of not delivering goods paid for, he is peddling an errant product disguised in the form of dried herbs.

His partial knowledge of absinthe and its history is also very bad, as waving around names and herbs like he does will no doubt only add to his psuedo credibility among his clientele. Well, I guess on the other hand it only means one thing for us.

MORE in stock Quality CO's to choose from. :cheers:

I wonder if they did it because of complaints or the recent press on the dangers of absinthe. I should say wormwood as these kits are not absinthe kits.

Just recieved an email back from that link.  Enjoy.

I suggest that you do your homework before making these uneducated remarks, maybe learn how to use google, or take a trip to your local library and do some research on the history of absinthe.

To quote from a highly respected book:Simon and Schulter's Guide to Herbs and Spices :

Henri-Louis Pernod used aniseed, fennel, hyssop, and lemonbalm along with lesser amounts of angelica, star anise, dittany, juniper, nutmeg, and veronica. These ingredients were mascerated together with wormwood plants. After leaving the mixture to sit, water was added and the mixture was distilled. Dried herbs, including more wormwood, were added to the distillate, which was then diluted with alcohol to give a concentration of about 75% alcohol by volume (8). Different absinthe manufacturers used slightly different ingredients, sometimes using calamus, which has been purported to have psychoactive effects.

I am sure that someone such as yourself recognises the name Henri-Louis Pernod? Sound familiar? Did you know that he also had an absinthe factory in France in early 1800.Pernod developed from his absinthe where he substituted wormwood with increased amounts of aniseed.

Once again, please get your facts right before making sweeping statements. Accusing someone of fraud with such a limited amount of knowlege of the facts is rather silly. Don't you think?

Have a good day,

Jamie

Hmm, is it even worth the effort to argue this with him?

Yes, it is always worth the effort to combat stupidity. Especially someone as ignorant as this CrypticKits person.

The Wormwood Society is a private organization founded to help promote accurate, current information about absinthe; to aid in reforming laws and regulations impacting absinthe in the US and to encourage the healthy enjoyment of a safe, rewarding and historically interesting beverage.

That's why we're here. The vast majority of the world perceives absinthe dimly, the truth of her is embellished outside the myth. Don't think of our forum as a drunk's hovel, and don't be afraid to consume -- the devil likes his laity unposed. Do feel compelled to offer insight, lend honest critique and never slight an opportunity to set the record straight.

Enjoy absinthe.

Have a good day,

Jamie

Hmmm.... Jamie...JM...?

Although I doubted it was JMF I just had to check so I took a look at his site's whois information. Doesn't match the pattern of JMF, however one odd coincidence, the person who registered it lives on Frances st.

I think I've mentioned this before but the guy has stolen a majority of his information and pictures on his site from other sources.

Do a search for "wormwood" on ebay. You'll see a couple of his "kits" trying to hide as something else. I turned him in, and I encourage you to also. It's been prescribed.