Photo

Is this cendrier likely to be authentically antique?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

http://www.ebay.ca/i...E:B:WNA:CA:3160

I understand there's a lot of replica pyrogenes so I'm wondering if this is also likely to be a replica. The price makes me suspect it's not an antique.

#2 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

Ah never mind. Found the right section to translate which states it's a "copy".

#3 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

You dodged the bullet on this one. Careful with the vocabulary too, a match striker is not an ash tray ;)

Absinthe pyrogènes are at the crossroads of three worlds of collectors : barware collectors, pyrogène specialized collectors, and absinthe collectors.

You can be damn sure that if a real vintage absinthe pyrogène appears, at least someone will strike hard to deter some of the competition. Count 100€ in the first day.

And that's in the case of an auction. Where the seller refused any direct offer in a message.

In the other case... Let me tell you a story. A few years back, in the middle of the day, I get a message from a collector friend : "a set of three spoon including a Croix suisse was listed for 30€ a few minutes ago". Yup, 30mn top between the moment it appeared as listed and the moment I payed the bill.

To think that a real absinthe pyrogène would last till the end with a 25€ price tag, when you expect it to be tenfold...

The other issue, which is actually quite the same as with the St Clément pitchers, is that these false pyros plague the French flea markets and antique shops also. To the point that there was a day I was in a shop and saw one of these craps with a 90€ price tag, and pointed it to the seller. She answered with as much disdain as possible "yes, I know I've been had, but I have to get my money back somehow".

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association