39 replies to this topic

#31 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,679 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Congrats! :cheers: 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#32 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

'BFT

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#33 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Well, I just received a bottle in the mail today, and am currently enjoying my first glass of the evening.  First impression: this is not PF 1901; I would not say the recipe is radically different, but it's not the same absinthe.  That said, I am enjoying it so far; I find it quite bracing and intensely herbal, like a more refined version of the old VdF.

Add to that, the green sealing wax did not turn to powder, and the cork did not crumble…I think we have a winner!!!

Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#34 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

Excellent news! You're making me want to try some again.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#35 Mork

Mork

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

Regarding the potential change in either recipe or method, will this go for PF1910 as a whole, or just the bottling for the American market?

#36 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

First impression: this is not PF 1901

When was the last time you tried it? The reason I ask is because they implemented the 'solera' style system after the first few batches were bottled. If you had tried a bottle from the non-solera batch, it would more than likely be quite different from the newer bottlings. According to Ted, the recipes themselves were not changed for the U.S. market.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#37 ripper911

ripper911

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

This is great news, I'll have to order some now! I've been wanting to try the jades.

#38 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

I have a bottle from Europe (2013) and it is just so very good. I assume it is basically the same except that the U.S. bottles get an extra 50ml ;)

#39 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

First impression: this is not PF 1901

When was the last time you tried it? The reason I ask is because they implemented the 'solera' style system after the first few batches were bottled. If you had tried a bottle from the non-solera batch, it would more than likely be quite different from the newer bottlings. According to Ted, the recipes themselves were not changed for the U.S. market.

Good question…I want to say the last bottle of PF 1901 I bought was no more than two years ago.  The bottle I currently have is the first I've purchased under the new JL 1901 label.  

The differences I have noticed are as follows:

1. Color: Every bottle of PF 1901 I ever bought was bright peridot green.  The current bottle is darker in color, with a more olive tone.

2. Aroma: The JL 1901 is very herbal and bracing.  It reminds me a little of the Roquette, though it does not have the medicinal character of that absinthe.

3. Flavor: More intense that what I recall from the PF 1901.  Again, it makes me think of VdF, although JL 1901 is more subtle and refined.

If Ted Breaux says the recipe is unchanged, I'm not sure what is going on.  Could the herbal ingredients have changed this much from year to year?

Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#40 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,990 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Yes. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users