• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Navidson

Navidson

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

$110.99 a bottle.  Not sure if that's a decent/terrible/great price, but I just thought I'd give everyone not on their mailing list a heads up.

http://www.drinkupny...ure_p/s0232.htm

They also have Artemisia-Bugnon Distillery "Butterfly" on pre-sale at $84.99 a bottle.  

http://www.drinkupny...the_p/s0786.htm

#2 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'm already breaking out the credit card for the Butterfly!  :thumbup:

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#3 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

I noticed, yesterday, absinthes.com has Butterfly alongside Angélique and La Clandestine in a nice little set:

http://www.absinthes...products_id=912

Was very close to purchasing this along with a bottle or two of Roquette. 

Anyone in the US ever had any problems with absinthes.com? In terms of customs and such, I mean? I have only ever ordered from online retailers within the country.

#4 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Never any problems with them, customs, no issue there either.

#5 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

I don't know how they do it but none of my orders have had the slightest problem with Customs. And delivery is unbelievably fast.

Alas, they ran out of Butterly in 70cl bottles. I almost ordered one the other night. Wish I'd had. I have a little bit left of the 20cl.

#6 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,668 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Never any problems with them, customs, no issue there either.

What he said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yup. And shipping speed is uncanny.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

I noticed, yesterday, absinthes.com has Butterfly alongsideAng鬩que andLa Clandestine in a nice little set:
http://www.absinthes...products_id=912

Was very close to purchasing this along with a bottle or two ofRoquette.

Anyone in the US ever had any problems with absinthes.com? In terms of customs and such, I mean? I have only ever ordered from online retailers within the country.

My last order with them, sad to say, was actually seized, complete with letters from the Miami customs office. OTOH Absinthes.com was perfect about it, and I was fixed right up before I even missed it.

Edited by speedle, 21 September 2013 - 05:34 PM.

- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#9 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Interesting. I suppose it's inevitable that some shipments will get sussed out by Customs, but from everything I've heard (and you corroborate), absinthes.com fulfills their guarantee of assured delivery.

I was reading something in the newspaper today about USPS trying to get permission to handle alcohol. Back when I was in the wine business it was a given that shipping USPS was doomed. Yet my first shipment from absinthes.com went via DHL to the US, then was transferred to USPS, and my normal mailman brought it to my door. I was stunned. Subsequent shipments have all been Fedex but not because of anything I said. Fedex has definitely proven to be faster than DHL/USPS.

#10 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Good to know, all - sounds pretty solid!

Only "problem" I have now is making room in my cabinet before I can justify another order. 

#11 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Got my shipment in today. Thanks for the recommendation, all. Order took 2 weeks from Germany to Denver and everything arrived flawless.

EDIT: Georges Meliès - my order also came from DHL in Europe (through San Francisco customs) to USPS directly to my front door while I was at the office. I was floored that I didn't need to sign for this...

Edited by JosephLabrecque, 08 October 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#12 Carefree T

Carefree T

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

Had no problems, either, Customs wise; they were my first internet order. I got the aforementioned little triplet Butterfly-Clandestine-Artemisia set. Although the FedEx guy did need a signature, which I'm glad for.

My review of the Butterfly is simply "Hnnnng..." Must have more. NOW.

#13 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Damn, for a second I thought you guys were talking about the '01 from DUNY.

Speaking of, I see the new ETA is Nov. 5th.

I wondered if maybe they had pre-sold all they had ordered first, and the new date was for the second expected shipment?  

But I know, that's just wishful thinking.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#14 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Fedex has always required a signature from me on absinthes.com shipments, even though I'm on file with them as "indirect signature' --- this is a safe neighborhood so the risk is low. But for these shipments, they all say signature required. Most of the time Fedex just drops things off.

I just got a 1901 yesterday, along with a couple of other goodies. The 1901 is just a backup. I figured I'd grab it while I could since I enjoy it so much.

I'm just about to try the Framboise distilled by Emile Pernot, which also came in yesterday's shipment.

Edited by Georges Meliès, 08 October 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#15 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

Here is the nice thing about FedEx. Immediately after shipping you can hae your shipment held at the nearest fedex office near you like a fedex/kinkos.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#16 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

So I took advantage of this pre-order back in September when it went live.  After the aforementioned bump from October to November I was frustrated, but continued to wait patiently.  After the November release date, my order was still in "processing" - now, 10 days after that release date, my order is still in "processing" and the date on the product page has been bumped to JANUARY!  That patience is waning rapidly.   I've already contacted DUNY about it, but I'm wondering, has anyone else who pre-ordered gotten their order beyond the "processing" stage?

Surprisingly fast reply from DUNY - "The initial shipment has been delayed to early January."

Boo.

Edited by brennivin, 15 November 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#17 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

I would bite the bullet and order from abs.com.

What do you think the odds are now that there will be yet another delay.

#18 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

The odds of another delay are apparently 1:1 ... after a two week delay for some mandatory inventory at the distributor, I've just now been told there'll be another 4-5 week delay.   Part of me wants my money back just due to frustration and principle, another part of me wants to forget about it and wait because mail order is really the only way to get it, the money's spent and not missed at this point, and it's already been 5 months, whats another.   But UGH regardless.  Just UGH.

#19 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

At this point I would really be concerned with this product being Americanized. My guess is that the hold up is due to Combier not wanting to change the amount of pont. WW used to comply with us regs. Unfortunately, this may have to happen. Now, what are the odds of still another delay?

#20 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

I canceled my order weeks ago, after being hem hawed around and realizing they had no idea when they would get it either.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#21 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

At this point I would really be concerned with this product being Americanized. My guess is that the hold up is due to Combier not wanting to change the amount of pont. WW used to comply with us regs. Unfortunately, this may have to happen. Now, what are the odds of still another delay?

While I can't speak for Combier, I can tell you that many absinthe makers, Pacific Distillery included, don't have to "Americanize" anything. You can make an absinthe using traditional amounts (i.e., per Duplais, Fritsch, DeBrevans, etc.) without having to compromise the amount of either absinthium or pontica.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#22 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Exactly right.  It's not the amount of Grand Wormwood but the technique of the distiller.  I doubt Combier changes their herb bill one gram.

#23 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Do you know if Edouard still uses pontarlier WW or not? I get what you guys are saying, but if Jade Eddie is still using pont. WW, then I would think it would be hard for them not to tweak the herb bill and pass the US allowance on thujone.

If they are using a different variety then that is another story. This is what I mean when I say Americanized. As you say though, techniques of the distiller may indeed allow them to use the same amount of pont. Aa and have it pass us limits.

Maybe the delay is just with label approval?

Edited by greytail, 14 February 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#24 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Very likely labels but the snafu could be anywhere along the line.  With so many different gubmint agencies and companies involved, it's hard to point a finger at the one most likely...  I don't know squat about other countries but I know several  of our agencies are still overwhelmed since the shutdown last year.

My understanding is, several brands might find Pontarlier A.a. difficult to come by.  Apparently, there has been one company buying up every last twig from last year's crop.  That's just scuttlebutt.  I can't confirm such rumors.

#25 shady2001

shady2001

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

Any particular reason as to why pontarlian Aa is superior to those grown in any other part of France, or temperate country for that matter? Just asking, because it seems that self-cultivation would obviously obviate such nasty market practices as rumored above...

#26 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

There really isn't, it just happens to be the historical region for growing Aa so people make a big deal out of it. People producing in the Pontarlier and Jura regions will fight tooth and nail over their terroir as they use it to market how 'authentic' their brand is to any other.

In my not humble at all opinion, the best wormwood in the world isn't even grown in Europe. I've sampled it raw, dry-cured, as a tea, and distilled individually from many areas including the historical franco-swiss regions.

Wormwood grows easily in most climates so I would love to see more distillers embrace an idea of local terroir expression with as many herbs as possible. Some already do and it is amazing to notice the subtle differences that occur.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#27 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

Obviously, I agree with Evan.  I think Artemisia absinthium montana is pretty damn rockin' and I've sampled some varieties from Washington state that are damn good, too.  As Evan says, European producers are compelled to embrace what they have ultimately because it is what they have.  Marteau, Pacifique, Leopold and other US producers have access to some excellent wormwood.  You can taste it in every sip.

Personally, I'm very excited to see what our friends in Australia will soon be producing.  Montana seed stock + Australia terroir = ???  Very exciting!

#28 shady2001

shady2001

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:41 AM

thank you for your expert opinion. i wish i had something apropos to add to the discussion, but i don't, so i'll go pour myself a drink now :)

#29 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

My order apparently shipped yesterday.  So while that last 4-5 weeks was just 2, the initial month was 5.  Still - happy to finally be getting the bottle. 

#30 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Sweet!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association