Photo

Some glass. Any relation to absinthe or similiar?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mukor

mukor

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

I noticed an interesting glass in my friend's cupboard. I asked where he got it and the answer was "I don't know".

In my noob eyes it's surprisingly similiar to one in absinthe bourgeois poster, but yes, i can see the very differences too. patterning lines go way too high and probably smaller etc...

I'm not expecting it has anything to do with absinthe or worth much, but if anyone has any idea what it exactly is, or if there is a connection to anything interesting in it's shape, I'm quite interested 'cause it left me puzzled. I suppose it would be just too weird to see a totally random absinthe glass in finland in possession of an owner who has no idea... So maybe it's just an old glass from grandma or something. Maybe not made in finland though? I didn't check if there's a signature anywhere...

It's a heavy old glass. That's for sure.

http://koti.welho.co...0817_215838.jpg

And no. I'm not sure if posting stuff like this here is dumb or not. My experience in absinthe antiques is level 0 I suppose. I won't be posting stuff like this every day ;)

#2 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Looks to me like just a nice, heavy, decorative old glass which would have served for almost anything.

It is reminiscent of 'Pontarlier' absinthe glases but those had a 'reservoir' in the lower part which delineated a 20ml - 30ml dose of absinthe, making it easy to pour a proper amount without resorting to a shot glass or other measuring piece.

Like this:

Edited by Georges Meliès, 31 August 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#3 mukor

mukor

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Okay. So, the glass here is probably not a special absinthe only glass either?

http://2.bp.blogspot...e-bourgeois.jpg

I know it's a little different, but immediately when i saw that glas, the poster came into mind. But yeah... it seems that In many old absinthe photos and art the glass is often just an ordinary wine or some other glass.

And yeah. The glass was very small for my absinthe doses. having that reservoir in it's place, would've made it better (and more unbelievable and me so much more excited too).

Thanks for the thoughts. I just wanted to make sure that my firend didn't have a treasure sitting there, even though it wouldn't have been very likely. Not absinthe releated perhaps, but who's to know... might not be your ordinary cheap glass anyway.

#4 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Very nice antique glass just the same. I'd use the hell out of it for absinthe.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#5 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,626 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have several glasses that strongly resemble that one, and they're perfect for absinthe. :thumbup:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#6 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

Looks like a Lyonaise glass or a version of it, you can see one in the poster "Absinthe Bourgeois".

#7 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

The "bourgeois" glass is a fairly common shape in the 19th century actually, which comes in several types of glass (from blown crystal to molded glass), and several sizes (if you ever want to see what a huge ass glass is, just ask ;) ). At least in France. The nickname would be "Périgord", "Lyonnais" glasses are another thing.

The picture may be at fault, but your friend's seems molded, not blown, which is why it looks like the La Rochère pontarlier. Same thing for the proportions : they are off both for the Lyonnais and the Perigord. By default I'd say that it's not an "absinthe glass". That it has never been used for absinthe consumption is another thing altogether.

See, actually historical accounts of usage of dedicated glasses for absinthe are quite scarce. You have the catalogs, the Charles Maire chromo, and that's it. Most of the time, on photographs, caricatures, paintings, ads, etc. you will find very standard glasses. And even though at some time absinthe may have been the national French beverage, bar glassware has to be versatile, like it is today, and dedicated glasses are only used in dedicated shops.

Anyway : it's antique, enjoy the feeling

Edited by Clement Arnoux (Aggelos), 06 September 2013 - 10:19 AM.

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#8 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

I knew the pro from Paris could help out :)

#9 mukor

mukor

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

The picture may be at fault, but your friend's seems molded, not blown, which is why it looks like the La Rochère pontarlier. Same thing for the proportions : they are off both for the Lyonnais and the Perigord. By default I'd say that it's not an "absinthe glass". That it has never been used for absinthe consumption is another thing altogether.

Yes. I did use!  :hysterical2:

#10 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

I knew the pro from Paris could help out :)

Not pro, and not from Paris anymore (I am moving to Lyon, hometown of the Lyonais glass), but thank you ;)

Yes. I did use!

Aren't we all users ?

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association