mukor

Usage of the absinthe spoon and absinthe without sugar

Hello.

My first non-introduction post. A newbie question, and yes, i already feel a little ashamed.

Sorry if this is some very easy to find information but i did indeed spend some annoying amount of time searching.

I have noticed that every absinthe i have tasted so far, was better with no sugar at all (except lucid, which needs one or half a cube, maybe).

Should i use the spoon at all if there is no sugar to put on it? or do i drip the water directly in the glass, from a fountain or a carafe, not through an empty absinthe spoon? Is using the spoon considered allowed/recommended/right or terribly wrong in this case?

An another question. I have seen videos where one puts the spoon and sugar cube on the spoon before absinthe, and then pours the absinthe thorugh the sugar and spoon and only after that adds the water through sugar and spoon.

I do it in following order myself: Absinthe (not touching anything but the glass) first. After that spoon and sugar and finally the water thorugh them into the glass. I'm not sure 'cause I have seen teaching videos of both methods.

(And never a teaching video with no sugar at all!)

And a final small one: How necessary are the saucers under the absinthe glasses?

Thanks in advance. I really find it important to get these right, before I buy and lay shame on antiques.

I never add sugar to absinthe anymore. I also don't add sugar to tea or (good) coffee. It's a personal preference really. There are those in the WS who add multiple sugar cubes.

By all means experiment. If a brand does better with sugar, then why not? The way you add sugar is the traditional way. Soaking the cube in absinthe is a leftover from when people learned to burn fauxsinthe, then stopped. Some people do "prep" the sugar cube first by adding a few drops of water to soak it, which allows the sugar to dissolve easier.

The saucers and other accessories are cool but by no means necessary. I've louched absinthe in a champagne glass, mason jar, clay mug, and back in my sugar days I used a fork instead of a slotted spoon sometimes. Search a bit and I'm pretty sure there is a thread about making fountains out of sports bottles, spare plumbing tubes, and duct tape.

Whatever works really.

I still don't own any saucers, the only one in the house is one my girlfriend made.

The important parts to preparing absinthe are to add water and avoid fire. The rest is a bunch of (cool and interesting) details really.

The most important rule about drinking absinthe is: It is YOUR drink and enjoy it any way you like! :euro:

Dripping water though an empty spoon?

I have read a post or two , that the person said that they like the way the spoon breaks up the water...Not a common thing to do at all,very uncommon, but, if you like it go ahead.

Pouring absinthe onto a sugar cube?

Sugar does not dissolve ready in high proof spirits. And as Evan said above, usually done out of ignorance. I read at least on person say that the high proof actually gives the sugar a 'cooked' taste, even without the being lit on fire. Not recommended.

Sugar use in pictures and videos

Well, If you are going to instruct, than it should be shown. It seems from polls that more than half of modern drinkers use sugar at least sometimes. Back in the day, they did have sweeter tastes, and more drinkers than not used sugar. but not everyone. that is why all the better brands did not add any in the bottle.

Here is an antique add, showing a fellow NOT using sugar or spoon.:

Gempp-Pernod-40KB.jpg

saucers?

only needed to keep a used spoon off the table, or maybe drip spills, or condensation rings. Optional, and use as needed. But, very 'proper' if you want to have an antique presentation.

Always feel free to to experiment and have fun! :cheerz:

Alright!

I just wanted to make my experience authentic and not something that would've been laughed at (or even just considered my own very special thing) back then :)

This made it much clearer. Cool and Interesting, yes. Thanks!

I also find it good to know that this for example:

is not the right way. Not that putting a dirty spoon on the tablecloth would've implied anything else.

Hey man Authentic is just relative.. AS others said its personal choice.. Personally I like a slow drip from a traditional fountain, usually only have 1/6 of sugarcube ...

Ive heard some like splashing a bit, some with power hoses (like Joe Legate)

Perhaps its almost like how men prefer to release the 'hose' in the toilet.. Its personal..

Edited by gee13

I wouldn't be concerned about authentic, unless you are trying to recreate a vintage scenario. Just prep it in a way you enjoy, that's the whole point. I used to sugar almost everything, but these days, only the ones that taste better with it. You might be surprised to find how a bit of sugar can open up some of the herbs and flowers a bit with some absinthe, while with others, it will be overpoweringly sweet. That's why experimenting with each absinthe brand is important. I've seen one or two avid sugar avoiders raise an eyebrow in surprise with an absinthe they thought only so-so, with as little as half a cube. It's personal, as Evan said. The only wrong, is fire, or poodles.

Well. authentic vintage scene is a good new start, after being clueless for years.

Now that I have the coerrect information, I can experiment and break the rules all I wish best. But I don't want to do so unentionally or spread false historical information :)

Now I suppose I know what I'm doing. This is even more fun than starting with whiskys.

And no, i would not set the cube on fire. I find it rather disturbing that everyone seems to expect that to happen when I offer to show them how absinthe is supposed to be served and the way it doesn't taste like horror and hurt them. but no, after all I've been through myself, I'm not surprised.

But once It's done, many seem to think that it's dangerously easy to drink and aside from the usual alcohol effect, the taste also makes one want another glass of it :)

I'm not surprised about this happening either.

They were just as creative back in the day, as we are now, probably more so. Think of all the millions of absinthe drinkers, and all the possibilities. So any way you do it now was probably done over a hundred years ago.

http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe/journals1.html

You are on the right track. I like having the knowledge of the traditions and customs. That makes it more enjoyable for me.

Edited by TheLoucheyMonster!

I sometimes drip the water over an ice cube on a spoon.

Yep, same. I don't always want sugar, but I like my water very cold, and the spoons are just so nifty-looking.