Sign in to follow this  
mukor

Hello from Finland!

More than 10 years ago I had heard stories of this "magical" alcohol beverage called absinthe. By reading more I unfortunately ran into the typcal internet trap of fauxinthes. I was surprised to find "absinthe" in Finland. Pere Kermann's, but of course i wasn't aware that something with a name "absinthe", actually had little to do with the actual stuff. not to mention that I didn't know anything about rituals or history of absinthe. Yes, my interest was short lived.

But later on i read and discussed more about absinthes, only to learn even more false truths! But it made me want to try other brands that i was able to get my hads on from what friends brought from Rhodos, some local bars in Helsinki and neighbour country Estonia; such as Schultz, Teichenne, Sebor etc. not really going that far from where I started after all.

After one trip to Estonia I found an absinthe that i thought, must be the real stuff, having an actual wormwood twig in the bottle and a name like Vincent van Gogh Premium. I don't know what it was but probably nothing like a real thing. I still didn't apply any rituals drinking it and after trying it I had the worst hangover of my entire life. So, once again, I gave up on this absinthe thing.

Until this spring. I visited Absinth Bar in Hamburg and probably compeletly made a fool of myself. I ordered King of Spirits and asked them to set the sugar on fire, and i didn't even understand why they gave me a carafe of water with it. I drank the water straight off the carafe and then the fauxinthe with sugar burned in... after that i asked what they would recommend me, so they gave me Roquette, which i wasted by drinking it without water. None of this is Absinth Bar's fault though, it actually seemed like a great place. Well, this was my best experience so far, even if an epic fail. My interest didn't die this time. Better luck next time there too.

Once i got back home I did a search on if this Roquette finally was at least an actual absinthe. I ended up browsing WWS reviews and forums. Differences of fauxinthe and the actual stuff and the necessity of the water ritual. Yes, all this time i had _known_ of the ritual, but only now i realized the importance of it all, and that it's so much more than a way to make strong alcohol milder. Also learned that there are many and many more brands available these days only an order away off the internet.

I decided to get myself a reservoir glass, a spoon, a pack of sugar and a bottle of Jade PF 1901. I absolutely fell in love, not exaggerating, could be the best alochol beverage that I have ever tasted!. I also found out that I couldn't see Pere Kermann's in the local booze store, last time I visited (man, i wish it's gone for good too) but instead a bottle of Lucid. Lucid is drinkable but didn't really impress either. I can't say that i find 39 euros a 0,5l bottle justified. So, now there's more interesting brands on their way from the internet. Now things really are different. I'm extremely excited (over any of my earlier interests in whisky, cognac, wine etc) in anything absinthe, absinthiana, history of absinthe, antiques, vintage, everything. I was not wrong even in the beginning, there absolutely is a lot of "magic" if not a whole lot more than I ever imagined, and I feel that finally my long and on too many times misguided journey has paid off.

I suppose this shall be _enough_ for confessions for now! But yes, i know I'm not the only one who has been stumbling through not always so glorious moments, as the amount of misinformation on the net is incredible.

Many thanks to this site. I'm going to be a more or less active forum member from now on, with all you people who share this great hobby/habit/way of life ;)

Now, if only i could find fellow finnish absintheurs or be a some kind of community starter in Finland myself. I'm having hard time finding friends who are interested for the least bit and even harder time educating them even to s level above what i used to be years ago...

Santé! :cheerz:

Thank you.

An order of more just came in this morning :)

Edouard, Berthe de Joux, Roquette and La Ptite (blanche), Also a not so highend fountain.

I will share my experiences and photos once i have more to say or show or worth it anyways.

I suppose I have the right direction.

Welcome!

It's an all too common story to be mislead by the fauxsinthe route. It happened to many of us.

Thankfully you found the real deal, imagine those poor souls who never do.

Now, if only i could find fellow finnish absintheurs or be a some kind of community starter in Finland myself. I'm having hard time finding friends who are interested for the least bit and even harder time educating them even to s level above what i used to be years ago...
I know a Finn or three who are well up to speed.

https://www.facebook.com/Absinttikirja

Welcome and cheers! :cheers: Love the avatar.

I absolutely fell in love, not exaggerating, could be the best alochol beverage that I have ever tasted!

I hear ya! Good luck finding a tastier spirit. I have a love of sundry spirits but can't find an equal to absinthe! :cheerz: Edited by Cajun Magic

I absolutely fell in love, not exaggerating, could be the best alochol beverage that I have ever tasted!

I hear ya! Good luck finding a tastier spirit. I have a love of sundry spirits but can't find an equal to absinthe! :cheerz:

Well... Maybe an equal to this jade. But even that, i suppose, is a maybe :P Going to try this La Ptite in a minute or two. Going to be my first blanche and first swiss also :)

I hear ya! Good luck finding a tastier spirit. I have a love of sundry spirits but can't find an equal to absinthe! :cheerz:

Well... Maybe an equal to this jade. But even that, i suppose, is a maybe :P Going to try this La Ptite in a minute or two. Going to be my first blanche and first swiss also :)

wow.. i wonder if anything is this easy to drink. rather scary how easy a 56% alcohol can be with water. not strong in taste but i could compare this to a mix of milk and water. i need to be careful. maybe actually stop for today ;)

I know a Finn or three who are well up to speed.

https://www.facebook.com/Absinttikirja

yeah, all i know of them is that fb page. i missed the opportunity to go to their event at museum but maybe there will be more. to consider what equipement they have in those photos, they seem to be on a way higher level than i, heh. they suggested bar haven in helsinki, as a place to find some ok quality absinthe. i suppose that place could be one to find absintheurs, or at least worth a try...

I don't know them personally, but I discuss poetry translation with one of them from time to time on another forum. He's writing a book on absinthe in Finnish (The Muse of the Damned). He writes in English very well (as do you). Don't sweat the equipment; I don't have most of that stuff and I've been into it for 15 years or so. All you need is quality absinthe and clean water.

Edited by Artemis