Sign in to follow this  
gee13

Absinthe in warm tropical climates

Very good to know, its just that I ll be needing to store mine bottle in a bag rom in bali hai for a week before collecting, I read somewhere that they should be stored in cool dark places, and also read somewhere from a US retailer that if the temps are hot they wont ship until it cools, I was wondering if it may go off in the heat or something happens to the cork..

I'll also clarify further - the bottle will be an unopened one ..any difference between the T corks and the traditional corks? Also are all the US absinthe range T corks or do some use the traditional ones.

No. Not all US. Absinthes have T corks. Most do, but not all. I do find though that T corks are more easily pushed out when the bottle's contents are warmer.

I'll be needing to store mine bottle in a bag rom in bali hai for a week before collecting...

Seriously? On Ambae? Or did you mean just plain Bali?

I'll also clarify further - the bottle will be an unopened one ..any difference between the T corks and the traditional corks? Also are all the US absinthe range T corks or do some use the traditional ones.

I always use traditional corks, I can't think of any other US brands that do, off-hand. The traditional cork has more gripping area with the inside of the neck than the shorter t-corks, but it shouldn't make much difference.

Haha yeah I meant Bali.. the land of the gods. I must admit I prefer the trad corks - they seal better and less likely to pop out unlike the t-corks. Now the Delaware Phoenix range they are t-corks? I might get some masking tape and try to insure the seal by taping it shut over the actual factory seals? As you know Gwydion Im trying to get one of yours here as well..I should think that some places in US like New Orleans can get pretty hot and humid? Im not looking to open the bottle until I get home.

I read somewhere that they should be stored in cool dark places, and also read somewhere from a US retailer that if the temps are hot they wont ship until it cools, I was wondering if it may go off in the heat or something happens to the cork..

If it can be avoided, it's never a good idea to ship beverages when it's excessively hot. Wines are particularly sensitive. If your absinthe were exposed to only the ambient temperature you'd probably be fine in all but the highest range of temperatures we experience here in the US. The thing is, however, that a number of conditions can expose it to temperatures much higher than the ambient temperature. Ever sit in a non-running car on a sunny 90 degree day? Imagine what it would be like being in a box on a sunny loading dock for just one hour on that day. I can remember being at an event that included a wine auction on a cool October day some years back. All the wines were in tents, but as the sun moved, a couple grabbed some exposure. In a matter of just 30 minutes or so, one was bubbling wine up through the top.

A couple things to remember:

Alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water.

The unfilled space in a beverage bottle (called ullage) is there for a reason, one of which is to allow for some temperature change without overflowing. This works because in elevated temperatures the air space can compress, whereas the liquid can not appreciably compress, but it does expand. At the most recent wine importer where I worked, I remember an entire shipment of a wine with which we had a problem with corks popping because the bottles were overfilled, and this was in just moderately high temperature conditions. Of course, most producer's fill levels are correct, but I'm just making the point that it can make a difference.

As far as the "cool dark places" thing goes, that is ideal storage, especially for the long term. It's my belief that an episodic elevation in temperature (within reason) of your absinthe won't hurt it. However if the temperature were pushed to a high point for an extended period of time, or actually to the boiling point, it certainly could do some damage.

The Delaware Phoenix products are finished with T corks.

THanks fingerpicking, I totally understand about the wines factor, Ive been involved with fine wines for a while. However Im not as familiar with transporting absinthe it has its simlarities bottle wise, but there are all the significant differences - like ABV, and the actual molecular composition of fermented vs distilled. I imagine as some say, an unopened bottle in a warm humid environment without dastic change in temperature change is not going to affect the absinthe that much? btw its going to be coming via CA to Bali via luggage check-in.Im hoping more about keeping the bottle/s intact all through shipment. Have ordered bottle armours (thanks brian)

Sounds like you're doing everything right if you are transporting it in luggage. If you were shipping, just take all the precautions you can. Those styro lined shippers certainly give some resistance to temperature change. And if it's possible to make the call, a white box or as light a color as possible will help in the case of sun exposure. All you can do is the best you can do, and I'm sure you already knew that.

Those twist tighten wire cork stoppers are a good bet too. They keep the cork seated which will stop any leaking from the heat and alcohol combo.

gee 13,the Delaware Phoenix products have a thick wax seal over the T cork & top section of the bottle's neck.I wouldn't worry about taping up the cork with those or any other brands that use a wax seal,unless you're transporting a previously opened bottle.

Edited by redwun

I don't know because I've never been, but isn't NOLA kind of warm and kind of humid on occasion?

Yeah, they even made some...

Greenopal_zps1cc3d88b.jpg

Considering the real absinthe 'rage' in France began when soldiers returned from Algeria (as in the Sahara), and it took off in the US in the hottest bloody city we have.... yeah. It's good in hot climes.

All the more reason for cold, cold water in your fountain.

Also, the human body deals with heat in all sorts of unintuitive ways. The cultures that drink the most coffee and hot tea? The hottest places on Earth.

I guess being a high ABV distill its not going to be affected that much. Its not like Im going to leave it out in the elements and hot sun 24/7. And nice to know those hard wax seals on the cork - theyre damn tough cut through unless you have a hot knife. But once cut they tend to crack off pretty easily! (Who likes little red specks in their green juice?) :no:

Jack Sparrow seemed to enjoy the rum which was on the Island he and Ms.Swan were marooned on. It was a tropical island if you recall. That green stuff will fare just as well if not better.

Hangon.. isnt that in the movies??? hehehh

I'll be also cruising Komodo Islands .. I wonder if I will be the first in that neck of the woods to be sipping a nice verte..

The wax seal won't help much if the bottles are left in a car in a hot sunny day. I've personally seen Jade bottles with the wax cracked and the cork pushed more than half of its lenght out of the bottle neck as a result of this. This was in 2006-7. They were a friend's bottles and he shared some of the absinthe. It might have lost a little bit of flavors but it was still very enjoyable.

Just don't leave the bottles under the sun and you will be fine. Absinthe is a tough spirit and while it can suffer some (mostly temporary) damage as a result of extreme heat, cold, shipping, etc, it will never become undrinkable or totally ruined the way lower proof beverages do.

Thanks for this, Stefano. I had never thought of absinthe as a tough spirit, but it must be, given the delicious pre-ban that is available. Those bottles must have occasionally been subjected to extremes sometime during the last hundred-plus years. :cheers: