Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

Martini vermouth tour

It will be interesting to see Camper's comment!

According to Wikipedia the Italian for Aa is the very logical "Assenzio maggiore."

Edited by Alan Moss

I had this discussion years ago with an Italian herb supplier. I found that they do in fact refer to absinthium as Roman wormwood. Petite wormwood is "assenzio gentile". Common names vary from place to place, which is why it's always usually better to refer to the latin names.

What Gwydion said. I've heard Assenzio Romano and Assenzio Maggiore used interchangeably not to mention the names in the local dialects that are totally different. Within the Italian absinthe community we usually use the botanical name Artemisia Absinthium, sometimes Assenzio Maggiore and never Assenzio Romano which we consider imprecise.

In Italian (as in French) the name of plant is the same as the name of the spirit (Assenzio) which is why we prefer to use the botanical name to avoid confusion.

Pontica is usually called Assenzio Gentile (even though from a certain farmer in Piemonte I also heard it called "Assenzio Pontico"), but again in the absinthe community we just use the botanical name.