MerdeVerte

World's coming to an end

I went to three different grocery stores in a futile search for sugar cubes. The places I went to are from some of the largest chain stores in Houston. When I asked a manager about it he said they no longer carry them. He also mentioned that he had to go to twelve different locations to find some for himself. I thought it was a bit odd for someone to go to such lengths. Then he admitted to drinking absinthe which I thought was pretty cool.

I wonder if their production has ceased or if both companies decided to stop carrying them for some other reason.

I'm off to find candy molds, dammit. And if you're about to reply with something like "I don't use sugar," I don't want to hear it. What else am I supposed to do with all these slotted spoons?

Makes you wonder how many people out there are discovering and drinking absinthe. Not many around here probably but you never know.

I've seen recipes for making sugar tabs on Fee Verte but I rarely sugar my absinthe and have plenty of cubes.

Use them as drip decelerators.

I have plenty of spoons. Even spoons of Silver, but I still use no sugar.

How many do you need?

Central Mkt. didn't have any in the bulk dept.?

Call these guys, they distribute the St. Louis cubes.

Bleu Foods

611 South Congress

Suite 515

Austin, Texas 78704

ph. 512-467-2851

fax 512-467-2206

These things are so cool.

post-181-1136671810.jpg

They even have a few skull and crossbones designs I wouldn't mind having.

GreenImp, central market no longer carries bulk sugar cubes. The Kroger and Randalls's locations I went to said the same.

Hiram, that link wasn't working yesterday. I'm glad to see it's up again, but I don't know about paying for shipping. If these molds don't work, then I guess I don't have a choice.

The glass above looks like my girlfriends glass. She says absinthe is "icky" and that I should drink something more normal like beer. What can I say, I love her. On the sugar side I actually found some cubes in a 7/11 here in town, so you might want to snag a look when you next get some gas. Making your own cubes is a lot more fun though, I made some with a Boba Fett mask tray and they were out of this world (punny?).

Hmmm, what was it that G&C advised me to put in my Serpis the other night?

I never said any such thing!

However,

If I did, I must have been drunk at the time.

I say, is it really that hard to find sugar cubes in the USA? Peculiar.

Here in Sweden sugar cubes can be found in almost any grocery store; sugar cubes are such a basic and common product, just like milk, butter, flour etc. Maybe it's due to our heavy consuming of coffee, I'm not sure.

But thinking of it, a friend of mine reported from one of his trips to your country that it was almost impossible to find wheat flour, when he wanted to delight his host with "lussekatter" (Lucia buns) once, not to mention plain (fresh) yeast! Even when he went to the most extreme, specialized grocery stores they had no idea what he was talking about. He ended up baking his buns with some kind of graham flour and dry yeast... Not quite the same thing, but what to do. :)

If it ain't over-processed and unrecognizable as a food

you won't find it on US grocery shelves.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

Thank you, Grey Boy!

I found this forum quite recently, and since we had no similar forum in Sweden I thought I'd give this a chance, and see what kind of people that lurk here amidst the green fog... :)

PS. Should some of you have REALLY big problems in finding sugar cubes for your rituals, just give me a note and I'd gladly send you some Swedish cubes...

Since I read this thread this morning, I've shopped in one mainstream supermarket chain, and ducked my head into another chain store, and found sugar cubes in both. In fact two brands in both, C&H, and Domino. And I know my daily grocery store carries wheat flour, in a couple of different grades for different uses.

Also there's always those folks on ebay that sell the sugar lumps in card-suit shapes. I actually really like those ( I got a big box of them last year ) because the different suits are different size pieces. This makes them kind of cool for parties, because people can pick their own. The diamonds are smaller than a normal cube, and the spades and clubs are bigger than a normal cube. The hearts are about the same size as a cube. The diamonds are actually the perfect size, period.

I might try ordering the "Dots" online to see how they are.