Cusenier Balancier - Orignal vs. Repro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm delighted to have gotten my hands on an original Cusenier Oxygenée balancier. I've been comparing it to TheFrenchman's reproduction and it's very interesting. The replica is very close indeed, but it isn't absolutely identical.

Here's a side-by-side of the repro and the original. The diameter of the top opening is absolutely identical, but as you can see the height of the funnel is taller in the reproduction. The lower section is more rounded, with the decorative ring above the stamping much less distinct in the repro.

DSCN5011.jpg

The bottom of the funnel is considerably longer in the reproduction, which makes the distance between the dripping water and the see-saw much shorter. Also, the divider separating the two sides of the see-saw is much taller in the reproduction, and the overall width of the see-saw is narrower:

DSCN5014.jpg

This close-up shows the difference in width more clearly:

DSCN5016.jpg

The hole through which the water drips is larger in the original, making it operate more rapidly than the reproduction. You can see this in the Vert d'Absinthe video that i posted recently in another thread.

Overall, the detail of the reproduction is impressive, but there's nothing quite like an original. That said, despite the fact the the original operates flawlessly, I will reserve that for only very special occasions.

Though of course since I'm excited to have it I did use it tonight to prepare my Esprit Edouard before dinner. It worked flawlessly, but I spent a lot more time cleaning and drying it than I do with the repro.

(Edit for my usual bad spelling.)

Edited by Georges Meliès, 05 August 2013 - 07:32 PM.

"A glass of absinthe is as poetical as anything in the world. What difference is there between a glass of absinthe and a sunset?" -- (attributed to Oscar Wilde)

#2 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

Great Review!! Its just a fine piece of apparatus ...But I'll stick to my fountain for now... :shifty:

#3 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

Great photos.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#4 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

What they said!

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#5 Mork

Mork

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

I agree, this was good reading. Seems you have knack for reviews, keep them coming:)

#6 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hey ! I just read that on the French forum, good topic in either place.

#7 ilovesharinfoo

ilovesharinfoo

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Great photos and excellent information! It helps a lot to see them side by side, rather than just reading of the comparison. This thread makes me even more anxious to have my own original balancier in hand in a week or so  :heart: They just look so cool. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association