French Man Ltd spoons

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

Gents.. Are these quite decent quality repros for someone not quite up to the rationale of splashing on vintages? Ive been finding Im starting to like a bit a variety and looking to extend a little. Is chrome better than s/s or vice versa..or doesnt it matter. Thanks in advance.

#2 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

I prefer my chrome reproductions.  Why?  They're easy to clean and they don't tarnish.  I have a large collection of vintage silver spoons but they tarnish and I'm old and lazy so they just stay put away.

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#3 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Take the stainless steel over the chrome. The chrome can wear down ( too much cleaning/ polishing) and who know what the base material is, if you're lucky, brass, if not so lucky some cheap ass zinc die cast.

#4 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

Or... Buy one vintage instead of three repros. If it did not move through time, then you know it will not move at all :)

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#5 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

And of course what Clement says is the best answer, I also hear he is very good at finding antique spoons.

#6 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

I love using original spoons. There's just something so appropriate about using antiques. I also love using original glassware. I've bought a few original spoons for little more than repros, and even less than I (over)paid for the repros I bought in France before I knew any better.

"A glass of absinthe is as poetical as anything in the world. What difference is there between a glass of absinthe and a sunset?" -- (attributed to Oscar Wilde)

#7 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Dont get me wrong, Id love to own and use some vintage stuff but atm all I can afford is the repros to start my variety..unless anyone can convince me that they make your drink taste better! At least starting with the repros I can get a feel of which ones I actually prefer to find the antiques later, they all have their visual appeal..currently I do like the Etoile #5 and Muse de france #14.

No ones actually addressed my original question yet but I guess since I hear a lot of references to french man repros it cant be that bad..

#8 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

Frenchman Spoons are pretty good. I have one but it's main function now is to look nice, I haven't used sugar in years, but that's just me. My advice would be get them if they strike your fancy. They serve their purpose as good spoons and good decorations. But collecting vintage does have it's benefits. Nothing beats owning a piece of history. Yeah history is cool B)

Edited by Cajun Magic, 10 August 2013 - 10:53 PM.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#9 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

Is chrome better than stainless steel?

Chrome won't wear as much as it may chip. Stainless is a wonderful material. Silver/sterling silver makes me smile and can grow a certain patina that some folks think is absolutely gorgeous.

BUTT, my opinion is, when it comes to an absinthe spoon, use the product that seems right for you. As your experience grows and your fascination with the history expands, you will search out specific items that you can't seem to live with out.

I have a number of reproductions that serve me well and also make wonderful parting gifts.

I'm not a metallurgist(sp?). So, my opinion may be worth exactly the amount you paid. :cheerz:

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#10 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

Cheers gents, I do appreciate antiques as my father was a collector. At this stage it's about good quality, looks and functionality. And besides in 100 years what I have will sell as antiques perhaps Luscious Oily Lesbians!

#11 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,549 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

I do appreciate antiques

Why, thank you.

Thank you very much! :wheelchair: :laugh:  

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#12 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

I do appreciate antiques

Why, thank you.

Thank you very much! :wheelchair: :laugh:  

Well you are indeed an antique yes ...

And sorry all my l o l (without the spaces) still spells Luscious Oily Lesbians!

Edited by gee13, 11 August 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#13 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Ok, let me rephrase then.

Indeed modern or antique won't make much of a difference as to usage... Most of the time.

What we now about Frenchman reproductions is that they are up to par for a few years as for usage.

Now for the rest of my argument, I must disclaim beforehand that I am in open conflict with Frenchman himself. Take it as you want, I will just try to be as objective as possible.

As for quality : no modern spoon has a stamping worth a vintage's one. Period. Wise as he was when he decided it Frenchman made spoons that would not fool the trained eye, and it's particularly true for the most detailed ones. They are nice, functional, but for a given model, the antique is always nicer. Don't let anyone tell you the contrary.

Now they indeed work nicely. But what you may want, for example as I do, is a spoon with small holes. It has been supposed that sugar used to melt differently back then. With basic sugar, too large a hole, and you won't melt it, most of it will fall in the glass. The smaller the holes, the dirtier the stamping.

As for metals, well... None of the moderns have crappy metal, that's a given, so go ahead to what you want. But I rest my case : the best way to know how a spoon will resist to usage and time is to have one which have resisted a century of usage and oblivion. And for pete's sake, buying a modern silver-plated spoon is just asking to silver coat a school restaurant fork. Now modern sterling silver are another thing already, but they are far above your budget.

I know it's easy for me to ditch reproductions when originals are found for cheaper in France but well... When I throw a few bucks away, I only shoot for quality, whatever the domain, and seldom regret it.

I would advise to look for variety in holes size for starters, and then quickly move to vintage with your prefered size.

Don't create a variety in shapes "because they are pretty", because in the end, you will only use the most practical ones. Believe someone with dozens of spoons on that. And don't buy "because they are pretty", because the day you have a good vintage one, they will look like crap.

Therefore, if you don't want to go vintage, my advice would be to try :

- http://www.absinthes...products_id=144

- http://www.absinthes...products_id=706

- http://www.absinthes...products_id=141

- http://www.absinthes...products_id=145

- http://www.absinthes...products_id=143

all of them differ widely in how they are used and have a specific "bonus".

Glasses are another matter already : few modern glasses are up to par with vintage ones. IMHO none of them are available on the US market anymore.

There, do I answer you correctly this time ?

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#14 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

I understand perfectly, thanks for taking the time to explain Clement. And I do have some nice repos with small holes - my favourite is the Wormwood II and Etoile II (with stars) Unfortunately one of my defective  personality traits as a collector is that I like to keep antiques or limited ed music as ornaments in a display cabinet. I still have unopened rare Coloured Vinyl of artists which I just ended up listening to on CD as I cant bear to scratch the records! 

So if I get any absinthania antiques thats where they would live - so being older and more practical, without having the disposable income I would like to I think the replicas will do for functionality now - and if they get damaged or otherwise theres no problem.

#15 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

As for the spoons, for me, go ahead and use the antique ones, you will never wear it out or break it and if you clean it carefully (gently hand wash) you will not lose the finish. The small holes you have on the repros, are not the same because the older materials cut different (blanc, tin or nickel ) when stamped as compared to the steel and stainless steel of today's repros. Today we enjoy better de burring techniques, better tooling all around, so when a repro is made, how does one compare ? The antiques are thicker on some which  allows the water to pass through more slowly, the surface finish itself plays a part on how the water sits on the spoon as some cast spoons are very textured so if you are slowly dripping from a fountain you will see it puddle up on the surface before it makes its way through the hole

So maybe the original question should not be which is better, chrome or stainless steel ? but what are the advantages of antiques over repros ?

#16 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Indeed Rob, your post does make sense. Yes my initial enquiry also involves comparing advantages. I have noticed in some cases, some puddling around the smaller holes on the wormwood 2.its not a big deal so far as I only use 1/4 cube. Im also waiting on Etoile 2 and a couple more repros to try. I will have a close look at getting one or two antiques to try out in future and compare as well.

#17 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Or... Buy one vintage instead of three repros. If it did not move through time, then you know it will not move at all :)

As soon as the post arrives with it, this will be my first ancient spoon.  Don't know a thing about it. But it sure looks cool, to me, over a lot of the others I have seen and could possibly afford.    

Attached File  $(KGrHqZHJC4E-+m2ELR4BP+,HDl-6!~~60_58.JPG   16.95KB   7 downloads

"But it's not for eatin,  it's just for lookin' through."

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#18 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

Good choice! That's a "Les Feuilles #1". That was my first original spoon as well, and it remains a favorite. It works extremely well for dissolving sugar with a minimum of undissolved grains left in the bottom of the glass. Plus it has a pleasing weight to it.

"A glass of absinthe is as poetical as anything in the world. What difference is there between a glass of absinthe and a sunset?" -- (attributed to Oscar Wilde)

#19 MaxThrusters

MaxThrusters

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

I bought one of each Frenchman spoons years ago, when he was doing them in silver-plate. I've been quite happy with them, and when they tarnish enough to look "dirty" rather than "vintage", I remove the tarnish with the boiling water/baking soda/aluminium foil bath method.

I was surprised to learn he stopped doing the silver-plate spoons, and now it's all chrome or stainless steel. I like all the models I bought, and I like to mix it up using different ones each time we do an absinthe evening. If I had to pick a favourite, it would be the one that looks like wormwood leaves. Or perhaps the Lautrec one. Or the Eiffel Tower one.I can't decide Luscious Oily Lesbians!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association