Sign in to follow this  
Brynjolfr

Zufanek's "Mead Base"

I see that there's an http://www.zufanek.cz/en/products/mead-base-absinthe'>absinthe by Zufanek made with a honey alcohol base (i.e. distilled mead), called "Mead Base". Sounds extremely interesting in my opinion. I mean, why not? There's absinthe based on alcohol from wine, so why not one based on alcohol from "honey wine"?

I've never tried any of Zufanek's absinthes, but I know they're good at making them, so this one could be good as well.

REVIEW PAGE UP

Edited by Brian Robinson
edited to add review page link

I agree, Brynjolfr. I have made mead for years and played with the idea of a mead base only fleetingly but found the idea intriguing.

If Martin made it, I have tremendous confidence it will be first rate. :thumbup:

Wait. Thought that was a secret...hehe.. The queen is out the hive now as they say.

Edited by greytail

Mead makes quite an interesting base for beer, and I imagine it would be very suitable for absinthe, as well.

And I agree with Joe...if Martin made it, it's probably a winner.

Thank you guys for such a kind words! I really appreciate it.

Mead Base was an experiment with using non-classic (traditional) base. As Scott mentioned, we got quite large fruit orchards, quite lots of bees and of course honey. So in 2009 I took our 3 yrs old Mead (honey wine), redistilled it and used it as a base for absinthe maceration. Result was quite interesting and seemed like people enjoyed it. I've added it into regular assortment and kept the prototype name, Mead Base.

As you can imagine, it is all about mead spirit. I have used less anise and fennel to not-overpower sweetnes and aroma of distilled mead. What is sweet by nature (like honey) must be also combined with some bitterness. Jing Jang. And bitterness was achieved by almost double amount of pontica in coloration in compare with our other absinthes.

Absinthe itself is a very basic Pontarlier style. So 4 distilled and 2 macerated herbs. Once again, becouse of this (very expensive) base which I didn't want to hide by adding more herbs.

If anyone would be interested, Antoine from absinthes.com wrote an review which got the point.

I'm really excited to try this one...I wish we had more of the "fruits" (or should I say fruit boozes) of Martin's labor available in the states. Definitely going to grab a bottle of this in the next month or two.

Excuse se me, I really don't want to make any business related stuff here on WS, not even get money off your pocket. But on the other hand, there might be some of you who want to try our stuff which is impossible to buy in USA and this could be your chance to properly taste it.

What if I prepare some packages with selection of our bottles, like "explore Zufanek's" and offer it here for very friendly price?

First package could include 0,5l bottle of slivovitz, pear brandy, apricot brandy, beer schnapps, second: oak-barrel aged slivovitz, oak-barrel aged pear brandy, oak-barrel aged wine brandy, mead base, third: juniper spirit, kontusovka, walnut liqueur and honey liqueur. I'd like to stick with maximum 4 bottles in one package becouse of safety and maybe troubles with your Customs.

But it is just my thought. Brian, feel free to delete or move this post to more related market thread. Or maybe I could create some in The Market thread with more detailed info.

Edited by Martin Zufanek

that sounds like a good time indeed.

I'm almost halfway through a bottle of the Mead Base, courtesy of a client who was in Prague a month ago. Pretty simple stuff, definitely a prominent base aroma when neat. I'd gladly buy another one of my own volition, probably next year when I do the L'Ancienne thing again.