JakeBarnes

Hi from Sydney

Four chapter on your first night? Well done! I know what you mean.the good news is a lot of the places he mentions - the cafes etc are still around so if you make it there at any point in the future you can sit and drink in some of his regular haunts

welcome evan! i'm a sydney newb too, and also a big fan of the salon. gavin (gee13) and i were saying it would be great if we great if we could get enough aussies together to have a tasting night where everyone brings a bottle, and we trade doses to all experience some that we haven't previously tried. i've just got my first overseas order (from verte d'absinthe in paris). i originally was just going to get some bottles from there as my friend was visiting paris, but she rocked up on a day they were closed, and was heading to london that night, so i had the order mailed, and it worked out fine. i'll order more from them in the future, but only bottles that the salon doesn't already stock, as i feel it's important to support gaye and joop, since those cool cats are the ones that introduced me (and many other sydneysiders) to great absinthe in the first place. but seb from verte d'absinthe is a champ as well, and i can definitely recommend ordering from him if you're in the market for something unavailable here.

cheers!

Nymphadora - thanks very much

Preston - I hear you! If I could I'd love to live there for a year.

Simon - I agree, a tasting night would be great. I'm glad to hear about your experience with verte d'absinthe, I'm toying with the idea of buying some stuff from them at some point. Do you mind if I ask how much the shipping cost came to and whether or not you had to had to pay taxes? I think I'm going to place an order with absinthes.com as well, they have a great range and the free shipping offer is a huge incentive. I've got the same moral code as you on this though - I'm only going to buy from overseas if I can't get it from the Salon. We've got to support those guys. By the way, have you been along there in the last week or so? They've got a new one in - Reverie, which comes from the NSW central coast. I found it to be very different - the distillers advice is to be careful not to overwater and not to use sugar. Personally I like a little bit of sugar so it made it hard for me to properly evaluate it. It was very smooth and subtle though and I'm looking forward to trying some more this weekend. I'll submit a review on it once I've tried it a few more times.

cheers

Do you mind if I ask how much the shipping cost came to and whether or not you had to had to pay taxes? I think I'm going to place an order with absinthes.com as well, they have a great range and the free shipping offer is a huge incentive.

shipping was €160, didn't have to pay customs, luckily, although that's possibly just down to luck. i wouldn't mind placing an order with absinthes.com as i'd like to try the roquette 1797. not sure what else i'd get to get me over the $250 mark for free shipping tho...

Hmmm If I was a distiller I would gladly name my 1st edition Nymphette Verte

Whoopsey this was meant to be on another thread... sorry one too many vertes last night

160 euros is a lot, though it probably works out to be able the same you'd pay if you were buying to locally. I just placed another order with absinthes.com. I'm getting the Roquette 1797, Berthe De Joux, La Grenouille and Zufanek's new Mead Base. Came to $US260 all up with no shipping - can't complain about that

Wow, Evan! A glass of absinthe at La Closerie Des Lilas-sounds amazing. Equally amazing is your pre-ban Pernod purchase-I thought of doing the same in a month. Can't wait to hear about the taste, smell and experience. Cheers to you, sir.

Cheers CB, it certainly was a great experience. Though I think if I went back now I'd be a little disappointed they didn't have anything better than the pernod. I won't be cracking open the pre-ban until November but I'll be sure to post some thoughts when I do. I've got a couple of samples of the Pernod Fils Taragona to try in the meantime though