Sign in to follow this  
Georges Meliès

Blending

Somewhere in the forum I read a comment about someone blending a couple of sub-standard absinthes to make a better drink. That got me thinking. Back in my wine career I did a lot of that sort of thing, tasting hundreds of wines to put together a blend where the whole was better than the sum of its parts. I would then sell it under my own label, and I did very well with them.

So it got me thinking. I've got Pernod which I very much dislike. Heavy, bitter, unbalanced. I've also got Lucid which I do like, but which is simple and on the light side. As I wrote elsewhere, uncomplex but honest. Tonight I did an experiment and carefully measured 10ml of each, then added a normal sugar/water 3:1 reduction. The result wasn't bad at all. It's not Jade by any stretch, but I really felt the combination of the two minimized their respective flaws and created a blend which was very surprisingly palatable, even if not great. Again: the sum better than the parts.

I will do one more such tasting before I proceed to pour the two together in one bottle, but I think it might give me a way to use up those two with some degree of satisfaction while I continue to reserve my better ones for other occasions. Most importantly, it could solve my Pernod problem. I seriously dislike it but I paid a lot for that bottle and hate to dump it. Blending it with a lightweight, well-made absinthe balances out.

At least that's how I felt tonight. I may change my mind tomorrow.

At least that's how I felt tonight. I may change my mind tomorrow.

Or maybe some other day. Seems like reason enough to blend it glass by glass when you feel like it. It'll be a little hard to separate once it's all together.

If you're looking for another way to get rid of the Pernod you could pick up a small bottle of Asti and make a few low rent Death in the Afternoons. I did this to get rid of a bottle of Grande Absente that lingered for years. I can't honestly say it was that good but it was better than the Grande by itself.