preston

I'm new here...

I am about 90 minutes west of Orlando, so a trip out there isn't out of the question! I will definitely save that link, and if I find myself in Orlando, I will give them a visit.

Let me know and we can share a drink.

almost bought this tonight... I've really only had Lucid, and a sample of Mythe (which was not good at all, to me).

thoughts?post-4201-137472955633_thumb.jpg

Edited by prestonjay

Do a search on "train wreck" and you'll find plenty of thoughts (or thoughtlessness). Just kidding... someone way less worn out than I will give you an opinion. :cheers:

Some recent thoughst on Kübler click on this thread>

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/topic/8081-is-any-of-the-stuff-available-at-bevmo-good/

Some thoughts about thoughts, or thinking thoughts, or how to express your thoughts, or thinking thoughts about thinking thoughts of people who think thoughts or people who may or may not be thinking thoughts about Kübler

, click here (don't do it)

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/topic/8091-disingenuous-bitter-untouchable-snobs/

Actually, your best bet is to read the reviews, the link that Amber posted. :twitchsmile:

oops, I didn't mean to open (or re-open) a can of worms, so to speak. as I said, I'm new to forums in general and I now know I should've looked around a little more before I asked. thank you all for the links; they were very helpful. I will now read the reviews Ambear linked to.

:-)

udate: the reviews were better than I expected. I realize most of them are from a long while ago, but still not as bad as I thought they'd be.

Edited by prestonjay

Not my favorite but some appreciate its simplicity. I think I have a review up which sums up any more details that I have about it.

Along with Lucid it is one of the more readily available absinthes in the U.S. so at some point trying it becomes inevitable.

I never got the chance to make a Suissesse Cocktail with it but I imagine it would do well in cocktails that require a more subtle absinthe.

Edited by Evan Camomile

It's fine. Not great, but perfectly serviceable. The only issue is that some batches seem to come off rather tailsy. Most normal drinkers won't really notice it that much. I don't drink Kübler on its own anymore, but I still use it quite a bit in more delicate cocktails that call for cleaner anise type flavors.

@Evan, it works REALLY well in a Suissesse.

thanks guys. @Brian - tailsy.. is that some sort of unwanted flavor/aftertaste?

also, my main reasons for wanting to try it are: (1) it's available literally right down the street, and (2) I am so new to absinthe that I want to try several brands and flavors, so I can get a better understanding of what is good and what is not so good.

(I can work my way up to the top shelf!)

I now have a friend who is willing to split the bottle with me, so at half price, I might just do it. I mean, why not?

Edited by prestonjay

Why not indeed? It is definitely helpful to experience the not-so-great as well as the truly-great, and also as the merely very good. Variety is the spice, and all that.

Kübler isn't as expensive as most others either - you get more than 750ml of absinthe for an economical price. I don't regret picking up the one bottle I've had for these reasons and I feel it's good to "know" something as prevalent as a Kübler or Lucid so that you have an informed opinion on something that is so very available (and can compare to other brands, down the road).

Edited by JosephLabrecque

pj, read this and especially pay attention to the "Aroma" and "Finish" sections where they talk about tails. It just occurred to me we didn't address tails in the "Flavor And Mouthfeel" section. We should have and that's an oversight. We'll need to address that.

If someone wants to get a thread going on the subject of tails, probably in the General Absinthe Discussion section, I'd be happy to chime in. It was going to be included if I had ever done the on-line evaluation series, but so for that hasn't happened.

Maybe a good title for the thread would be Gotten any tails lately?

thank you! now I know what tails are! and, if I could be so bold, I do believe this (among other things) is what was so off-putting about the "Mythe" brand. I could be wrong, obviously.

In my hunting for Scotch I found many stores that would order anything I could find in the "tax" book. Michigan is abit weird as we have a bunch of prohibition era laws on the books still because Detroit was a major illegal importer of Canadian Whiskey at the time. I just placed an order at astor wines in NY. They list what states they can ship to.

Welcome :-), BTW I ordered a St. George Vert from California as I too was interested in a couple US editions and 2 from Delaware.

thanks guys! I am gathering knowledge and information and will apply it to my next purchase. cheers!post-4201-137490005187_thumb.jpg

Edited by prestonjay

hello Scott! I'm here because of you.. your fb group always mentions WS and their reviews, which led me to stumble into the forum, just to see if it was active. I am pleasantly surprised to find this great resource and community. so thanks! :-)

I would never have found the wonderful world of absinthe, and its great people, had I not also stumbled onto this place.

So when are you coming over for a glass or two? :drunk:

short list for my second-ever bottle of absinthe, as of right now, is:

a. Ridge Verte

b. Vieux Carre

c. St. George

it seems St. George is a "wildcard" as far as taste goes, but it sounds interesting.