Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Is any of the stuff available at Bevmo good?

Well, here's some more... little to do with Kübler.

Some producers are perfectly happy selling a bottom self-er and selling it at bottom shelf prices.

Some will try to fool you. I don't think I would get much argument if I said 'La Fee is a bottom shelf-er at a mid to premium price"

Now look at the most extreme example: KoS gold is garbage, below bottom shelf sold at a luxury price

This (the "shelf range" of pricing) holds true for just about every kind of booze but absinthe, and by your two examples you show that this theory doesn't necessarily hold true with absinthe. Unfortunately, I would say 80% of authentic absinthes are sold in the retail range of about $55.00 to $75.00. Now please... before all you nit-pickers get your dripper jammed up, these are admittedly "there abouts" numbers for the sake of argument. One of the problems with absinthe is this reality. And there are those consumers that because the spread of pricing is so tight for this category, feel that they should always buy the best quality for the price that they can. I can't necessarily argue with that. Then there are others of us that want to learn about the range of authentic offerings available, and if you want to do that the sad fact of the matter is that you are likely to pay 70% (or even more) of the money for some of the hum-ho offerings as you will for the very best. That's just the way it is right now. Perhaps some day pricing may be some indicator of the quality of the absinthe that is being offered. But right now it seems most producers are fishing in the same price range, and I'm betting that has something to do with production costs, whether the absinthe is superior or not. And then I've also heard of producers who think their product is actually better than it really is.

By the rest of your post I'm not sure if you're sort of admitting to being an absinthe snob or not. If you are and that's how you approach this place, that's fine.

Because I know this guy too (and he's a nice guy... believe me, his bark is worse than his bite), I'd chalk that up to a poor choice of words. In my experience here I would say most of us are not snobs. I certainly don't advocate that. Condescension is always unbecoming.

I just think that there's nothing at all wrong with describing what are considered middle-of-the-road brands that are readily available in a better light. Is a brand "boring" or "bland" simply because we tried it years ago and have moved on? Or is it "simple and refreshing", as it might have been when we first tasted it? Is simple necessarily bad?

There's nothing wrong with simple. Here's my last crack at Kübler:

Simple and refreshing, if you get a good bottle. If you don't, academically worth the expense since you may learn how to identify tails.

Simple and refreshing, if you get a good bottle. If you don't, academically worth the expense since you may learn how to identify tails.

Well, so far so good for my record on Kübler. I'll keep hoping to avoid "tails roulette". :)

And FYI I don't take anyone's opinions personally. I do like discussions such as this, too, where the views are forceful but still pretty respectful. It would be a pretty boring place if we all agreed on everything. ;)

Edited by King_Stannis

If we are asked for our opinions, why fault us for giving them? Also, I don't remember the job description for being a WS member, is there one? ;)

Well, I think that begs a larger question, Evan. What is this place for? Are we ambassadors for the drink of absinthe who try to give at least information with our opinions? Are we simply here to peddle a dozen or so top shelf brands? When a newcomer arrives do we proverbially shove a bottle of Jade Nouvelle Orleans in their hands and just say "drink it, you'll love it"? Could it not be a mistake to push a newcomer into an incredibly complex tasting brand when maybe their palate has nothing to compare it to? The author of this thread admits to trying Jade NO and not liking it. What then? What do you honestly think of someone like that yourself? I also wonder if that had something to do with Daniel's long absence from the drink...

In response to the highlighted text - no, it wasn't. In a nutshell (and not to open any cans of worms) in Dec of 2008 I converted to Islam. I got rid of all my alcohol and my absinthe paraphernalia - gave it away to my very appreciative boss - and tried to be a Good Boy. I've since relaxed a bit on some things. Although I do still identify as Muslim - and as this is the month of Ramadan I am fasting - I've decided to temper my experience with some of my own beliefs. I took counsel with some of my closest friends - almost all of whom are also Muslim - they told me they felt I went too far too fast and instead of totally becoming burned out, I should allow myself to go back to some of the things I did before... and absinthe is one of them. So I decided to...so that's that, as they say.

If we are asked for our opinions, why fault us for giving them? Also, I don't remember the job description for being a WS member, is there one? ;)

Well, I think that begs a larger question, Evan. What is this place for? Are we ambassadors for the drink of absinthe who try to give at least information with our opinions? Are we simply here to peddle a dozen or so top shelf brands? When a newcomer arrives do we proverbially shove a bottle of Jade Nouvelle Orleans in their hands and just say "drink it, you'll love it"? Could it not be a mistake to push a newcomer into an incredibly complex tasting brand when maybe their palate has nothing to compare it to? The author of this thread admits to trying Jade NO and not liking it. What then? What do you honestly think of someone like that yourself? I also wonder if that had something to do with Daniel's long absence from the drink...

In response to the highlighted text - no, it wasn't. In a nutshell (and not to open any cans of worms) in Dec of 2008 I converted to Islam. I got rid of all my alcohol and my absinthe paraphernalia - gave it away to my very appreciative boss - and tried to be a Good Boy. I've since relaxed a bit on some things. Although I do still identify as Muslim - and as this is the month of Ramadan I am fasting - I've decided to temper my experience with some of my own beliefs. I took counsel with some of my closest friends - almost all of whom are also Muslim - they told me they felt I went too far too fast and instead of totally becoming burned out, I should allow myself to go back to some of the things I did before... and absinthe is one of them. So I decided to...so that's that, as they say.

Thanks for opening up Daniel. I'm sure everyone here wishes you luck on your journey and hopes you can continue to find a way to balance spiritual happiness and absinthe together. :D

Edited by King_Stannis

This is all very simple for me: if I'm spending all this money on absinthe - I'm going to purchase the best commercial absinthe that I can get my hands on. Not only do I want to get the best absinthes available from the best distillery-artists out there... but I also want to enjoy something made from quality ingredients as well. In the spirit of sharing and informing others - I'm going to recommend to anyone who has an interest in the spirit that they strive for the same :)

Yeah, in this neck of the woods, do you want Lucid or Leopolds for the same price? That's a no-fucking-brainer. :laugh:

Thanks for opening up Daniel. I'm sure everyone here wishes you luck on your journey and hopes you can continue to find a way to balance spiritual happiness and absinthe together. :D

No problem, thank you for noticing! I thought it would kinda get lost in the hissing and spitting going on around me.

One thing about the Kübler that I find, is that it makes the best trail water. By that I mean one or two ounces in the bottom of a trail bottle, fill the rest with cold water to a ratio of around 10 to 12/1 or so. I don't know exactly cause I never measure. But even that light, all the flavors come across and make a most refreshing sippin' jug. I can see how the French soldiers could easily learn to like their water this way. I also notice this method works best with the lighter profile absinthes as opposed to heartier, wormwood heavy? absinthes. And believe me I've tried a lot. To the cringe of some, the L'Ancienne works great for this, while the Jade VS does not. Pacifique is another good one. Vieux Pontarlier... not so much. Leopold's... yes. And while I have tried, I can't make that Obsello II taste good in anything at any ratio. I forget where I was going with this other than suggest you try it for yourself. Out walking the woods, riding your bike, whatever you do outdoors where a cold bottle of water is desired, liven it up with a little absinthe.

And be fucking happy! :cheers: