49 replies to this topic

#31 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

She's openly talked about making absinthe, but then she'll couch it, for YEARS.  In all honesty, she could very well have been legally making 'absinthe' in her kitchen... meaning her product is/was an oil mix.

Yes...last year at GAAF seems to be when the transformation was made. She made it very clear that she wasn't going to produce a REAL absinthe until she had all the proper legal groundwork laid so that she was not illegally distilling. As for the years of making absinthe prior to the day she distills for the first time, I'm pretty damn sure we're talking about a maceration.

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#32 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

... I'm pretty damn sure we're talking about a machination.

Fixed???

I'm kidding, of course (couldn't resist), since all this is merely speculation. While I don't disagree with some of this commentary, I think I will continue to wait and see what the facts say. Only one of the reasons I won't be contributing.

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#33 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

The main issue I have is that she keeps publicizing that she has been making absinthe in her kitchen for over 15 years or something.  It's terribly irresponsible and could cause her quite a few legal problems if anyone in the proper arenas perks up their ears about it.

I voiced my concern about it and her response was that her lawyer told her it's nothing more than 'marketing fluff'.

She won't be prosecuted for admitting to illicit distilling, they have to catch you at it.  However, the TTB takes a dim view of those with a "scofflaw" attitude, so it won't surprise me if things like labels and formula approvals take a while longer than normal to be approved.

In all honesty, she could very well have been legally making 'absinthe' in her kitchen... meaning her product is/was an oil mix.  Compounding is perfectly legal-  not terribly smart or delicious, but anyone can take a bottle of vodka, add some oils, flavorings, and mixes to it, and be perfectly right with the Feds.  That may be why she's so cryptic about her hootch-  she knows there are smarties out there (like us) that can see right through shit like that.

Again, I don't want to jump to any conclusions, or at least too many conclusions, until the product is out, we can see the label, and try the product (you go first!).

I talked to a few folks who were at GAAF last year who tried it and if I recall correctly they said it was a maceration, along with everything that implies.

I don't like to intentionally try to damage reputations, so I want to tread lightly, but maybe it would be a good idea to press her a bit more publicly about these unanswered questions.

Thoughts?

Well this is her thread here, after all.  Although she hasn't logged in since she made her second post up there. I wouldn't feel right pursuing her into other areas of the interweb for answers to our concerns, but I would hope that if she truly cares about about them, she'd address them here.

I did notice that for $2500 you get to see "the distiller in California's Central Valley".

A lot of the marketing for Mariposa does say "biodynamic", "organic", "kosher."

"Biodynamic" sounds great, but beyond the fact that it's more strict than conventional organic agriculture, it's essentially meaningless to the average modern consumer. The vast majority of people, when informed about what biodynamics are, would likely dismiss it as being superstitious. That's not particularly my opinion, although I'm far from well-read on the topic, but it basically has to do with integrating a spiritual element to one's agricultural practice, in particular working in harmony with moon phases and astrological aspects:

"Dynamic Practices influence both biological and metaphysical aspects of the farm by increasing the vital life force and adapting the farm to the natural rhythms of the cosmos."

I'm all for it, but like kosher certification, it only has meaning for those who subscribe to the philosophy behind it. In this case, New Age hippies and pagany-wagany, hikey-bikey types.*  :poke: ;)

* I have plans for a Druid whiskey, made by Druids for Druids, and ceremonially produced and sanctified. Not joking.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#34 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

And...

4.  Can we get 3-4 samples for review, pre-launch?'

Won't happen. She's made that clear. I asked to try some as a condition of giving her any feedback simply because I didn't want my name passed around as someone who helped out to any deee without knowing what I was providing feedback on.

But I also don't feel like we as a society should be soliciting samples pre-launch. It implies that we are trying to be some kind of gatekeeper. If they volunteer some, that's fine, but I wouldn't condone anyone specifically asking for any.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#35 AbsinthiaB

AbsinthiaB

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hi, WOW! Lots of comments.

I apologize for not logging back in here sooner, I will make an effort to do so more often. That said, I am a little nervous to post because this forum seems to be a harsh and unforgiving environment, but nonetheless, I will answer the four questions posed. 

1) Will it truly be distilled?
Yes!

2) What were you really making in your kitchen?
There are obvious reasons why I will not respond to this question.

3) What is your plan with the cash you have raised if you don't get enough to put your brand to market?
All the cash is going directly into the business. If we don't raise enough through the campaign, the business will still proceed as planned. The goal is $25k, and if you have any experience launching an alcohol beverage firm with a wholesaler's license, which is what our lawyers recommend, you will know that $25k is substantial but certainly not going to cover all of our start up expenses.

4.  Can we get 3-4 samples for review, pre-launch.
Absolutely. We expect to have our first batch ready by the holidays.

Lastly, I will not answer questions about the status of the business on Facebook. It is simply not the right forum for that kind of information. If you would like to be on my mailing list, please let me know.

Thank you.

#36 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Sorry to hear that you think that this forum is harsh and unforgiving. I think you'll find that most producers who have become members would completely disagree. Many of them have used the feedback given to improve their product and/or their marketing. I just think you approached the people in the forum in the wrong manner, which ruffled some feathers.

Regarding question #2, I understand your reticence. But what would you tell a representative of the TTB if they asked that question? If you really can't answer the question for legal reasons, then you probably shouldn't be publicizing it because it WILL raise some eyebrows when you start going through the approval process. Is your legal rep in the beverage law business, or marketing? That isn't a sarcastic or rude question, I'd sincerely like to know. I just want to make sure you're getting prudent advice. I know that it surprised many producers here that you kept talking about it.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#37 AbsinthiaB

AbsinthiaB

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

I apologize if I have ruffled any feathers. Certainly not my intention. 

Actually, I would love feedback on the law firm I plan to use - Strike & Techel in San Francisco. If anyone has any experience with them, I would love to hear it before I sign the engagement letter, which I am about to do. http://strikeandtechel.com/

#38 AbsinthiaB

AbsinthiaB

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'd also love to know if there is a way to get notifications from this forum. I had no idea my post had so many responses!!!

#39 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

You can click on the top right which will allow you to follow the thread itself.

Also, when you log in, you can click the 'view new posts' button and if your thread shows up with a little orange box next to it, you can click on said orange box and be taken right to the newest comments. :)

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#40 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

[...] I am a little nervous to post because this forum seems to be a harsh and unforgiving environment, but nonetheless, I will answer the four questions posed.

If you'd been around in the absinthe world long enough or deep enough to remember the Louched Lounge, you wouldn't think this place was harsh. A Clockwork Orange comes to mind.

First, you should recognize this isn't just an absinthe fan site, we're an educational organization populated with some of the most knowledgeable absintheurs in the world.  A number of us have been around a while, and a few of us know exactly what the state of the absinthe world was 15 years ago, what information came to light when, and who the real players have been at each stage of the game.  We've seen a lot of bullshit and dealt with many brand owners, marketers, and producers, good and bad.  

Sometimes we come across as harsh, but try to think of it more as being firm and frank.  Although new facts do surface from time to time, and we integrate them into our views, we've earned the confidence we have in our convictions.

As far as unforgiving, well, that's simply not true.  We've had some real miscreants come through here who, once they understood their errors and/or mended their ways, have been welcomed as valuable participants in our discussions.  In fact, sometimes we're forgiving to a fault and have been known to give the benefit of the doubt, even when it seemed (and often turned out to be) totally unwarranted.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#41 AbsinthiaB

AbsinthiaB

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thank you, Gwydion. I appreciate that.

#42 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:07 AM

In fact, sometimes we're forgiving to a fault and have been known to give the benefit of the doubt, even when it seemed (and often turned out to be) totally unwarranted.

Oh the stories we could tell. :)

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#43 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

"That said, I am a little nervous to post because this forum seems to be a harsh and unforgiving environment, but nonetheless, I will answer the four questions posed"

Think of it like this. If all the members of this forum were to gather in the same place, some will find common bonds and some will go on to become good friends. others will not. How much more is this true of a forum full of strangers to some and acquaintances to others.

This forum is not unforgiving. Some members might be, but still it usually is never personnal. Just a difference in online personalities which tends to bring out the worst in all of us at times. For better or worse. It really is quite easy to get carried away with an opinion when anonymity and a screen veil you.

I for one would be happy to try your product if and when it becomes available in my neck of the woods.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#44 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

Indeed.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#45 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

It really is quite easy to get carried away with an opinion when anonymity and a screen veil you.

Attached File  dickwad-theory.jpg   20.25KB   7 downloads

Another reason I urge people to use their real names here rather than screen names; it's easy to dis a fictitious character. 

But did they listen?  Nah, they didn't listen.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#46 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

I agree, but when you're Batman....well.....
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#47 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,724 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

"it's easy to dis a fictitious character".

True, but then, most clowns love abuse. :fork: 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#48 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I agree, but when you're Batman....well.....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

:laugh:

Edited by redwun, 22 August 2013 - 02:47 PM.

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#49 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

I've seen this posted on the Google+ Absinthe group as well... [ https://plus.google....536327360709589

I think some more personal communication would go a long way to establishing trust in either community. I try to be supportive of any new brand coming to market. Just grabbed some bottles from Atelier Vie [green and red] today, in fact. Sadly, I haven't seen anything around this absinthe which interests me since the effort seems so very heavily focused on marketing. I'm not saying this to be mean or dismissive - but there are a great number of premium absinthe distillers here who are approachable and personable; Marteau, Pacifique, Leopold Bros., Vilya, and others... just from conversations here I KNOW they are the real deal and care deeply about absinthe.

You may be confusing expressions of passion and love in this forum for harshness. I'd suggest introducing yourself in the recommended way and contributing to the overall discussion. The members here all adore absinthe - so really; you are truly amoung friends if your inclination is the same! If not... yeah - with passion comes fire... just not in my absinthe, please :)   :puke:

#50 preston

preston

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

wait, I can make absinthe in my kitchen? I'll be right back.. :-)

...teach me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association