Sign in to follow this  
Aaronjw

Please welcome a total newcomer

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to the WS (just been looking around on the forums for the last couple of days), as well as to absinthe itself. I've been wanting to try it for a long time, but only recently have I (sort of) gotten the chance.

Unfortunately, I'm currently living in Batesville, AR, in the middle of a dry county. The nearest liquor store is 45 minutes away. So, the last time I made a trip there, I looked at the very small selection of absinthe; they were located with the whiskeys for some reason, and they only offered two brands: Lucid and Absente. I had heard only mediocre things at best about both of these brands, and the Lucid was WAY over-priced at 70 dollars per 750 ml bottle. The Absente was 50 a bottle. So I went to the counter and asked for a small bottle, and got a bottle of Grande Absente with about four oz for 10 dollars. Got home, looked at the WS reviews for it, and was regretting my decision; luckily I wasn't out too much money for it. I obviously tried it anyway; not awful, but pretty much just tasted like anise and sugar. It had a nice louche, if nothing else.

I'm planning on making a trip down to Little Rock in the next few days (about an hour and a half away), so I'm gonna try to find a higher quality liquor store than I usually have access to, and maybe find something decent. If anyone reading this is from the LR area, I'd love to hear about any liquor stores that carry a good absinthe.

If that doesn't pan out, I've been looking at the Catskill Cellars selection for bottles priced at around 60 and checking reviews, and I'm thinking I'll order either the "Vieux Carre Absinthe Superieur" or the "Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieur." Anyone prefer one to the other, or suggest something else as a first absinthe?

Anyway, that's my situation. Also ordered a couple of absinthe glasses the other day cause it bugs me to drink something in the wrong kind of glass. Hopefully I'll get them before I find some absinthe.

Welcome!

Both brands you mentioned from Catskill are fantastic. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of them. But, IMHO, I'd probably go with Pacifique. It's a wonderfully crafted brand that stays true to historic absinthes. VC is a bit more divisive, but still very good.

Welcome. I would go with both as well. If you get a third, you probably will qualify for free shipping. Another place where you do get free shipping for your first time order if $99 is Astorwines.com

You can add a glass or a spoon.

Looks like they CAN ship to where you are.

Edited by greytail

While I would LOVE to buy two or three different varieties, I'm afraid I've just graduated college, and am still just scraping by with my parents paying for my food. Don't really have a steady job yet, just playing organ at a couple of churches, and whatever other music gigs I can get. So I think I'll just have to stick with a single bottle to start off with.

Hello and welcome!

Pacifique will get you in tune with historically accurate absinthe and Vieux Carre will show you how a true absinthe can range in flavor profile. Both are absinthes I'd buy again without a second thought. Pacifique in particular was a quick favorite of mine.

Welcome, Aaron. :cheers:

I'll echo the sentiments above, except that I'd also humbly recommend my own offering.

I lived in Batesville for a while in the mid-70s and I recall that the nearest liquor store was in Jonesboro. The memories! We were way back up about 13 miles of dirt road, NW of town. I tore up more than one or two oil pans on those roads, running from Sheriff Taylor (Duncan, not Andy). I also remember that if you came into town at just the right time, the smells from the Rainbow bakery on one side of the highway, and the Banquet chicken plant on the other side, were exquisite.

I don't want to talk about Magness, Oil Trough, or Newark.

These days we have a liquor store in Newport, about 45 minutes away. It's not a bad store, and has almost everything you'd want: good wine selection, decent number of whiskeys and brandies and things; it's only absinthe that is sorely lacking. Not that that really surprises me; I don't imagine there's much of a market for such a niche product around here, unless you count the people who just want to try for some hallucinations who know actually nothing about the drink.

Perhaps I'll give yours a try at some point down the line. I think for the moment though, I'll go with the Pacifique; seems like a pretty safe choice for a first absinthe, from what I'm hearing.

I remember experiencing the frustrations of your area (2X graduate of ASU). I think G~ forgot, Craighead county was dry, too.

Marteau, Pacifique and VC are all excellent choices. It seems Catskill and Astor carry another absinthe with pretty good reviews, too but the name seems to have slipped my mind. ;)

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't understand the reasoning behind "dry counties" - actually only first heard of such a thing last year. We had "Blue Laws" when I was growing up in MA - but it was mostly just a Sunday restriction.

Anyhow - big welcome!

The joys of local option. Just as some states and counties never got on board with prohibition back in the 20s (very similar to states now relaxing marijuana laws, in spite of federal prohibition), not all areas got on board with repeal, either. Ironically, more than half of Kentucky is dry.

I remember experiencing the frustrations of your area (2X graduate of ASU). I think G~ forgot, Craighead county was dry, too.

You may be right, but I thought Craighead was mixed. I guess it must have been Newport. My CRS is getting worse.

Finally ordered a bottle of Pacifique! Along with a bottle of Clear Creek apple brandy to get up to the 100 for free shipping (anyone tried Clear Creek, by the way?). So, as this will be my first try of real absinthe, and not the pre-sweetened Grande Absente, would you recommend I first try it with, or without sugar?

Do you drink your coffee or tea with or without sugar? It's all about personal preference. You chose well with Pacifique. It is a personal favorite of mine, complex as hell and well crafted. I'm always happy to have a glass with or without sugar. Heck, why not try it both ways tonight? :thumbup:

Drink your coffee or tea with sugar do you? Chose well did you with Pacifique, young padawan, yes. A personal favorite of mine it is, yes. Complex as hell and well crafted. Happy always am I to have a glass. Heck yes. :thumbup:

Yeah...um...sorry bout that. I couldn't help myself.

Welcome! My family lived in Searcy Arkansas for a number of years and actually got in trouble a couple of times for having alcohol in the county. My brother also has had some trouble there, but he moved to Sheerwood AR and isn't having trouble anymore. I'll check to see if he's found any good local distributors. I just used Astor Wines in NY that ships to your door.

Welcome! My family lived in Searcy Arkansas for a number of years and actually got in trouble a couple of times for having alcohol in the county. My brother also has had some trouble there, but he moved to Sheerwood AR and isn't having trouble anymore. I'll check to see if he's found any good local distributors. I just used Astor Wines in NY that ships to your door.

Really? That's very odd; I didn't know you could get in trouble for even owning it. I don't think you can here; maybe that's an older law. I think we're on the way to being a wet county; a lot of restaurants here can serve alcohol by using a loophole saying that "private clubs" can serve alcohol. So they just let anyone (of age, of course) join their "club" for free, and can serve it. So hopefully we'll get rid of our dry county status soon, and bid goodbye to 45 minute drives to Newport.

Hi Aaron! I lived in Newport for few years when I was in elementary school (also lived on a farm outside of the town for a year, but cant remember the name)-small world! I had a lot of fun back then in Arkansas coming up from Texas. Wow.

Hope the Pacifique was delicious. I made a similar error and purchased a bottle of Absente before I did my homework here. My second bottle was Vieux Carre. It is.....different. I'm getting used to the flavor profile slowly (only 3 glasses in). It is very dynamic. I think my next purchase will be Pacifique.

Cheers to you and good luck down there!

All of these Arkansas references are bring back too many memories of Jonesboro, Mountain Home, Little Rock, West Memphis and everything in between. Nice but I think I'll stay up here in the mountains. :cheers:

Drink your coffee or tea with sugar do you? Chose well did you with Pacifique, young padawan, yes. A personal favorite of mine it is, yes. Complex as hell and well crafted. Happy always am I to have a glass. Heck yes. :thumbup:

Yeah...um...sorry bout that. I couldn't help myself.

I must be busy. I missed the Jo-dah tribute until now. :biggrin:

Welcome. Along with this Pacifique, the CC Apple Brandy is outstanding. I love making my Jack Rose with exactly that.