Balancier

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

I decided to buy a reproduction balancier to use when I'm not sharing an absinthe with my wife and don't need to set up the fountain. After checking around I found that the best price (by far) was from eBay seller "rueverte". Shipping was also reasonable, only €6.

I ordered it Monday and just received it today -- Friday. Germany to California in 4 days, over a Holiday no less. I didn't expect to see it for at least another week.

Incredibly, he sent it Fedex. How can he do that for only €6? And in such heavy packaging?

Anyway, it's a terrific little device and it worked beautifully in my quick test. I'm looking forward to tonight's "heure verte" to give it a real try.

Edited by Georges Meliès, 05 July 2013 - 01:16 PM.

"A glass of absinthe is as poetical as anything in the world. What difference is there between a glass of absinthe and a sunset?" -- (attributed to Oscar Wilde)

#2 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,172 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

My green hour is usually anytime I'm awake and desire a pleasant drink.

Enjoy yours! :cheerz:

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#3 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

They are fun little toys, aren't they?  :thumbup:

#4 Janusz

Janusz

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

I've been thinking about getting one, though the ones I've seen are generally priced more than €6 :g:

I've checked ebay and sites like Absinthes.com, so they're readily available. Do they work well? I currently just use a dripper, which does nothing to slow the stream of water unless you stick a toothpick in the hole...not the most aesthetically-pleasing solution :thumbdown:

In fact, a carafe would be better than the dripper, and just as historically accurate.  But I would imagine for the ritualistic aspect, a balancier must be a fun accessory...

Absinthe, je t'adore, certes! Raoul Ponchon, 1886

#5 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

I have one or two but rarely use them.
They are noisy to me.

But they are pretty neat to watch.......sort of mesmerizing. Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#6 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

I confess I really like the balancier a lot. The clicking noise doesn't bother me. It works very well, giving a slow, steady drip, and as noted it's really a kick to watch in action. Guests who have seen it are flabbergasted. A friend last night whipped out her smartphone and shot video which I think she put on Facebook minutes later.

The instructions, and some videos I've seen on Youtube, say to put the sugar cube into the top and fill it. I assumed that the dissolving sugar might clog the small hole, and sure enough one Youtube video does show that happening. I also figure it would make it a bit harder to clean. So I simply putl a spoon underneath it and let the water drip through conventionally.

It doesn't fit wider glasses as well as narrower ones. I like the heavy molded 'museum' glasses in general but the balancier doesn't fit securely to that particular design.

The €6 cost was shipping, but that's dirt cheap considering it went Fedex from Germany to the US. 'Rueverte' on eBay has the lowest price I've seen anywhere -- €39, about $50. (Item #151074731931.)

It's well worth it, in my humble and still novice opinion.

"A glass of absinthe is as poetical as anything in the world. What difference is there between a glass of absinthe and a sunset?" -- (attributed to Oscar Wilde)

#7 Janusz

Janusz

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

As I re-read your post, I do see you had said that it was the shipping cost :)

Funny, I believe rueverte is actually Absinthes.com; I just bought one of their bubble glasses as I liked the nice clean lines ( I generally use a Pontarlier-style glass).  The bubble reservoir is intriguing and I'm curious to see how it affects the louche.  I don't use sugar, so that wouldn't be an issue for either the balancier or the bubble glass.  Let's see if the glass makes it to me in one piece...I should have it in a couple of days.

Absinthe, je t'adore, certes! Raoul Ponchon, 1886

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association