• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone can point me to a site or vendor that can ship pre ban vertes internationally? Im keen to have the privilege to try some and dont mind paying the fair sum for it.

Thanks

#2 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:53 AM

try here     " absintheoriginals.com"    everything vintage absinthe

#3 Mork

Mork

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:14 AM

I haven't tried ordering samples from them, but every single bottle I've bought from absinthes.com has arrived safely through customs here:)

That's pretty impressive, at least in Norway:)

And those are affiliated with absintheoriginals.com, as far as I know?

#4 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Yeah cool I managed to locate them earlier and have an email from Marc

#5 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

Ironically enough, just last night I ordered two 50ml samples from Marc. He has already confirmed they've been shipped. I'll be holding my breath awaiting safe arrival. Certainly a major investment, but I figure I'll get four 25ml pours, allowing two opportunities to try each of two different centenarian absinthes.

I will await a suitably significant occasion to open the first, however.

#6 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,172 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Upon its arrival, make sure your day is complete and no one is there to disrupt your drink.

Some are truly extraordinary.

I miss them. Be well.

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#7 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

What did you get Georges?

#8 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Georges Pernod and Junod.

Be sure to check out the story on where the bottles were uncovered. Fun reading: http://www.absintheo...d_PF_cache.html

#9 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

That part of history is amazing - I shudder how many times a cache was discoverd and oxygenee wasnt advised and got just polished off by some teenagers thinking it was old wine (like grandmas grandson)  ..

Let me know how they turn out please George. Can I politely ask how much they were?

#10 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

I've decided that I won't be tasting the first until October. I'm still in the learning phase, I want to have a broad experience before I savor either of these.

Prices and details are available on their website: http://www.absintheo...m/vintages.html

Back many years ago when I was in the wine business I had vast experience with great cellar troves of rare wine. Fun times. Today such finds are incredlibly rare, and prices have soared to unimaginable levels. I was lucky. I've tasted wines back to 1797, and had several actually very good ones from 1806, 1811, 1832, 1841, 1865 and many more 19th century vintages. That said, the vast majority of old wines were dismissed as "good for its age." Which meant they weren't disgusting, but if they didn't have history to give emotional appeal they would have simply been over-the-hill or even undrinkable. We gave a lot of leeway when history was involved. But on rare occasion ancient wines were truly mindblowing.

I did drink several ancient liquors at the time, including a few absintnes, but I was not knowledgeable enough about absinthe to properly appreicate them. That's one reason I plan to take my time before tasting the pre-bans. I want to spend a few months drinking a wide range of modern absinthes to have a solid frame of reference.

#11 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

I couldnt find exact price on the Junod or Pernot. Im curious as to how long one has to consume these after they have left the sealed bottle?

Fascinating backround Georges. My background in wine as well but never had any south of 1900!

#12 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

Click on "vintage absinthes" and scroll down the page to "samples". The Georges Pernod is 150 euros & the Junod is 140 euros.

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#13 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

Many thanks redwun!

#14 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Im curious as to how long one has to consume these after they have left the sealed bottle?

Since most samples are sold with very little air in the bottle, they should last indefinitely. I've got some sample bottles from close to 10 years ago that still taste perfect.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#15 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Curious. How much did the cheapest of those samples cost 10 years ago?
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#16 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

The PF samples haven't changed much in price. The others typically only see a bottle or two every couple of years come to market, so they are always expensive. It's only really the Tarragonas that have skyrocketed in price. Crazy.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#17 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

I agree, the Tarragonas demonstrate the power of supply and demand.

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#18 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Surprisingly, I'd say the opposite.  Supply has risen dramatically in the past 6 years, with the number of bottles coming to market each year seeming to rise exponentially instead of linearly.  But price has surged just as much.  That's the reason I stopped buying them.  The last bottle I bought cost me somewhere around $300.  Not sample; bottle. :)

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#19 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

That was my intended point. They are selling more and as long as it's going well, the price will continue to rise.

If the stuff were to stop selling, they'd have little choice but to lower prices. Or, hang on to it. We all know it will cellar well. :)

Fortunately, there are more and more interested folks, so I don't see the demand dropping.

That's the reason I stopped buying it. I prefer most pre-ban absinthes to Tarragona. Just my gentle opinion.

The Tarragona is decent enough, but not my kind of decent. *shrug*

#20 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,599 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

What the discerning paisley manatee said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#21 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Decisions, decisions.............

Which one to sample first? And when? What an embarrassment of riches awaits.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association