Sign in to follow this  
gee13

Sipping Absinthe with Food

Apologies if this has been covered - if so please point me to the thread. If not Id like to start a new one..

Be interested to know what one likes to have with absinthe accompaniment, like certain wines go with certain foods I guess we can extrapolate different absinthes go with different foods?

I 'll start with a bitter absinthe w/ herbacious accents would go well with a good swiss smoked cheese or edam.

At the same time I could think of a saffron paella with chicken and chorizo...

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I used to cook in a trattoria. I got in the habit of having an al burro for a quick lunch: cooked pasta (preferably radiatore) drenched in melted butter and tossed with freshly-chopped parsley, garnished with a light touch of fresh parm. So simple, but so delightful. It's the principle reason I grow parsley.

I suggested in another thread that La Grenouille might be a good match with Indian curries.I get cardamom (which I wouldn't know if Stefano actually used or not) and maybe coriander in the finish.Anyway,It's pretty spicy stuff that could cut right through a vindaloo and I think compliment many Indian foods very nicely.

Strangely enough different lines of absinthe with their individual complexities.. I enjoyed a Duplais Verte which is quite a mellower smooth flavour - with stronger spicier foods yes spicy northern indian curry perhaps, thats where I really enjoyed saffron chicken and chorizo paella with it from the spices. But the Libertine 72 , which I believe is very underrated goes really well with smoked trout whcih we had the other night.

Cheese is usually my favorite food to pair with absinthe, something medium aged, nothing too strong or sharp.

I also enjoy absinthe with bread sticks wrapped with Prosciutto di Parma and in general with other kinds of Italian affettati (bresaola, culatello, etc).

Whether the Libertine 72 tastes good or not, that's a matter of personal taste, if you like it good for you. Just keep in mind that you might like your absinthe bitter, but absinthe is not supposed to be noticeably bitter, so that is technically a flaw and not a matter of taste.

Hope this doesn't come off as rude, just trying to help.

Speaking of cheese, quite a few folks who post here had some St. Essence with Absinthe a couple weeks ago at a get-together in France. It was the best cheese I've ever had with absinthe; it is soft, similar to brie, but with more power and complexity. When aged nicely, it develops a thick, dark grey crust. Yum.

Edited by Scott M.

Awesome! Cheeses indeed - a variety of with variety of vertes..blanches! So many combinations to try - and of course acompanied good peppered salami, olives and dried fruit.

Stefano no worries Im just getting acquainted with the acquired tastes being relatively new so much more to explore of course. Let alone to wrap my head around why being bitter is not supposed to be absinthe.

And Gwidion those oh so simple pasta dishes with the essential base of olive oil, butter, garlic, parsley drizzled with parm is inspiring me to do some for dinner... Well the other day I did a herbed ribeye roast with garlic buttered brocollini, asparagus and carrots which worked well too. I usually have a Grenache Shiraz Mouverde half bodied Maclaren Vale with this dish but found it to go well with the Duplais Verte for a change.