Photo

Topette with half doses? ...or did I buy an olive oil decanter?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tingjunkie

tingjunkie

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

I purchased a topette on etsy recently (see below). The glass seems old and hand-blown, with no seams, and small bubbles within the glass. Also, the individual "dose" bubbles remain a constant volume across the board. The only thing that has me thinking it may not be an absinthe topette is that each dose bubble is only 15ml instead of the standard 30ml.

So, is this the work of cheap cafe owners trying to swindle their customers? Was 15ml an actual dose that we just don't hear about nowadays? Or, did I pick up an antique olive oil decanter? Thanks for any info you might provide folks!

9157240672_29599f443c.jpg

#2 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,172 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Do you like?
I had one very similar.
As far as half doses go, I like them.

It's very nice looking!

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#3 tingjunkie

tingjunkie

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yes, ultimately I do like it. Adds another level of class and fun to the ritual! I guess I'm just curious if there is a history behind the half doses, or if it's meant for another liquid or spirit all together?

#4 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

20ml is a standard modern bar-dose for 45% pastis in France, so 15ml for 65 - 72% absinthe is an not unlikely dose (except for us).  Some of the topettes we attribute to absinthe were actually for vermouth, which would have been doled out in higher quantities.

Attached File  topette for vermouth 289.jpg   11.11KB   0 downloadsAttached File  topette for vermouth price.jpg   16.61KB   0 downloads

Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#5 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Congrats! 15 ml is not uncommon, I have a couple like this also. It's a great way to have smaller tastings. There are quite a few antique bistro glasses with reservoirs or dose lines around 15ml, so it works out!

#6 tingjunkie

tingjunkie

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Good to know, thanks guys!

I'm rather preoccupied with louching my absinthe as cold as possible, so this topette is great for filling with absinthe, and sticking it in the freezer about a half hour before consuming. Since I don't use sugar cubes, I then put an ice cube on my antique spoons (also from etsy, LOVE that place) and drip ice cold water over that. I used to chill the glasses in the freezer too, but the frosted outside takes away from viewing the swirly cloud show inside. :)

#7 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:08 AM

Hi, for what t's worth, I'd be careful about that!  Antique

glass being placed in a freezer could crack!  Though thick and heavy,

fast, extreme thermal changes can be dangerous for such pieces.  

I'd suggest that if cold is your goal, making the water as cold as you can get it

might suffice.  If you HAVE to put your absinthe in the freezer to obtain the results you enjoy,

I'd put it in something else, perhaps stainless steel, which will get colder faster anyway!

Edited by Scott M., 03 July 2013 - 05:09 AM.

#8 tingjunkie

tingjunkie

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the advice Scott. Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

#9 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

I seem to remember a thread about not freezing absinthe because of crystallization of the oils or something like that.  :g: 

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#10 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Since you like your drink as cold as possible, what you can do, if you use a glass brouilleur, is drip or pour (depending whether you use a marble or not) your absinthe through it into the glass. Once the absinthe has drained through the brouilleur (with ice in it of course) just add water.

Tried it yesterday after reading this thread.  Worked great. 

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#11 tingjunkie

tingjunkie

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

Sounds like a great idea! Sadly, I don't own a brouilleur though. I either use a fountain, or a small glass teapot filled with ice water if I'm feeling lazy. Maybe I'll try running the absinthe through the ice in the teapot first before adding water. Did it "pre-louche" the absinthe a bit after coming in contact with the ice?

#12 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'd highly recommend a brouilleur for when you are feeling lazy. I rarely use my fountain since i got one. A balancier would also be the ticket!
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#13 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

. Did it "pre-louche" the absinthe a bit after coming in contact with the ice?

Not that I noticed.

I'd highly recommend a brouilleur. I rarely use my fountain since i got one. A balancier would also be the ticket!

Brouilleur, balancier, trebuchet, whatever gets the job done.  :drunk:  :euro:

I also, rarely use the fountain, unless I'm trying to show off for company. My first brouilleur was a small french glass dish/bowl I drilled a small hole in. Still have and use it.   

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#14 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

I still use my home made brouilleur which is simply a party cup with a hole in the bottom center, works great.

I might try a trebuchet sometime though. Like how you think SC.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#15 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Ah yes, the trebuchet, only for the ultimate Power Louche! Well played SC. :clap:

Edited by Cajun Magic, 06 July 2013 - 09:28 AM.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association