Sign in to follow this  
drewwwy

Hello Forum

I signed up here a bit ago. Somebody said to introduce myself so I finally decided to. I'm a writer from Las Vegas. Last couple of nights I've been sipping away on Absinthe. Before this week, I was waking up and drinking Gin in the mornings. I have lots of writing to finish in the following months. So, about two nights ago I was bored. I've been extremely moody and stunned with boredom (self diagnosed myself with Borderline Personality Disorder!) This explains it. So I cracked open my bottle of Absinthe. Opened my $12 Absinthe spoon that I had ordered and began to pour myself a glass.

I have to say I am now addicted. The cloudiness, the scent of black licorice and the cool sensation and numbness that grows with every sip. *Takes another sip before continuing* I might have found my new passion, and only way to get through life now. If I don't have a glass each night, something is not right.

I originally tried Absinthe before, I believe it was late last year with my current girlfriend. We prepared two glasses using forks, we had a bottle of Mansinthe. If I recall correctly, we had smoked Saliva earlier. We were bored, sniffing pills wasn't thrilling enough. My experience was that I had made it too strong, and I didn't finish my glass. The scent of licorice lingered in the air a long while afterwards. Since trying it alone, with a better perpetration and understanding, I wanted to climb right into the glass and take a swim. That is the only way to describe the beauty of it.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to getting to know some of you.

I'm Drew, by the way.

Thanks everyone!

Quick Question: Anyway to make Absinthe less sweet? I usually use one sugar cube. Last night on my second glass, I decided to use none. It was still very sweet tasting in my opinion. Am I just tasting too much of the licorice/alcohol? If I add two sugar cubes will this actually make it less sweet. I don't want to over sweeten it. :o

La Blanche, I assume there are different variations of this Absinthe. Maybe I am wrong though, with no sugar I felt like there was something missing to be honest. The overwhelming black licorice taste is very drinkable, just a tab bit on the sweeter side for my liking. Maybe I should add more water, though watering it down tends to ruin its overall flavor.

You just need to experiment a bit with different brands, sugar and water levels.

Read the comments in the brand reviews.

Brands that use a lot of star anise tend to taste more licorice-y than ones that use green anise only.

Welcome to the forum.

La Blanche, I assume there are different variations of this Absinthe. Maybe I am wrong though, with no sugar I felt like there was something missing to be honest. The overwhelming black licorice taste is very drinkable, just a tab bit on the sweeter side for my liking. Maybe I should add more water, though watering it down tends to ruin its overall flavor.

Sugar is a question of personal preference whether you are drinking verte or blanche. It is easier to over-water a blanche but it's just as damaging to a verte. I recommend sipping your blanche at 3-to-1 and carefully adding water after that. Many blanches are very simple and need extra care. There are only a very few blanches that qualify as complex.