Sign in to follow this  
Navidson

Just Got My Hands on a Bottle of Amer Picon...

I'm living in Brussels for the summer and on my visit to the local delhaize (Food Lion) I realized they had a big stash of this in the wine section. I've never purchased any but I know it's not sold in the US so I figured I'd bring some home. Any thoughts on what I should do with it aside from the obvious Brooklyn cocktail?

Yes. You should bring me a bottle.

Aside from that, you can have a look at CocktailDB.com, where you can search classic cocktails by ingredients. CocktailDB is a collaboration between Ted "Dr. Cocktail" Haigh and Martin Doudoroff. Doc is a cocktail historian and author of Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails; Martin is a cocktail geek and technology consultant in New York. And if you haven't already, you should pick up a copy of Doc's book.

Very helpful, thanks! I got an app that was similar in concept awhile back, but I've realized over the years that the quality of many of the drinks listed are just poor. This is a much better alternative that doesn't require sifting through 1200 variations of jell-o shots to find the recipe for a Vesper.

The Mabel Tea Cocktail and Brut look quite appealing. Either of you have a favorite use of the stuff?

I haven't owned a bottle(yet) to play with, only had samples here and there and drinks at bars that stock it. I have, however, had a couple of tastes of the vintage, old formula Amer Picon from before the re-formulation and down-proofing. Different animal altogether.

Gwydion, if you want a bottle, I've still got a few from that big purchase I made a while back. Happy to send you one.

PM'ing you.

I haven't owned a bottle(yet) to play with, only had samples here and there and drinks at bars that stock it. I have, however, had a couple of tastes of the vintage, old formula Amer Picon from before the re-formulation and down-proofing. Different animal altogether.

When Amer Picon was originally made, it was only 15%abv., by 1911, it was up to 40%, then down to 16% or below for WWI, went eventually back to I don't know what, then had to drop to below 16% during WWII, and has after hovered from 21 to18%, there hasn't been an original recipe in well over 100 years. Plus it should contain calamus, which is not allowed in the USA. Just sayin...

post-49-0-86179100-1371314559.jpg 1911

Edited by pierreverte