Sign in to follow this  
Navidson

Looking to Get All Educated on the Good Stuff

Hello to my fellow absinthe-drinkers,

I've been a fan of the site for a couple years now (I think I actually made my account a year ago but forgot about it...) but haven't gotten around to getting involved until today. Better late than never, right?

Anyways, I'm relatively familiar with the basics of absinthe (preparation, terminology), have the basic equipment (spoon, glass, but no fountain), and have had a few various bottles of decent quality (Kübler, Obsello, Vieux Carre). My true love in life is cocktails and I'd like to supplant that with a better knowledge of absinthe (what makes the best Sazerac?!?!) as well as a better appreciation for the Green Fairy, itself. I figure this is a good place to start!

As for myself, I'm a second year law student who copes with that fact by making lots of fancy cocktails and cooking all sorts of things I can't pronounce correctly.

Glad to finally be saying hello!

I just had a quick look through your blog. It's always a pleasure to welcome another serious cocktailian! :cheers:

In case you didn't know already, we have assembled all of the cocktails which call for absinthe from The Savoy Cocktail Book, The Gentleman's Companion, The Old Waldorf-Astoria Bar Book, and a few others, over here.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Nice blog, I enjoyed the peek I just took at it. For old cocktails try to source high ABV versions of the ingredients. Watering down to 80 proof is a bit of a post-prohibition thing from what I hear. I've tried a few old versions of things with higher proof spirits and they sang.

For the absinthe rinse to the Saz I'd go with Jade Nouvelle Orleans for the rinse. It is a bit spendy and some people may say it's too complex for cocktail use but from what I've noticed it's worth it. I'm also a heretic and substitute Peychauds for The Bitter Truth's Creole Bitters.

Cheers! :cheers:

Thanks for the warm welcome, advice, and love for the blog!

Those recipes you mentioned are what got me here in the first place, actually. A brilliant collection from some amazing books!

From what I've heard, Jade is the next step for me in my Absinthe career. I'll be sure to try Jade Nouvelle Orleans! I'm of the opinion that complexity is never wasted on a good cocktail so I'm sure I'll love what it does to a Sazerac. High ABV ingredients are also fantastic. Though my use of them has been mroe limited than I would like, everything I've put to use has not let me down (particularly Rittenhouse 100 Rye).

Anyways, thanks again for the pleasant welcome!

I'm with you. The Sazerac is all about subtle complexity. I don't know about everyone else here, but I can rinse a rocks or a cocktail glass easily with about a half teaspoon of absinthe (or whatever other liquor). That's 1/12 of an ounce. At that volume, the difference in cost between an average priced absinthe and a Jade is about 15 cents. So I say use whatever absinthe floats your boat. Lately my "go to" for a Saz rinse has been Jade VS.

That sounds about right. And if you're less talented/lazy/making drinks en masse, like myself, you can use an atomizer or mister for the same effect. But I do love tossing the glass in the air to coat it; at least when no one is looking in case I mess up :euro:

At that volume, the difference in cost between an average priced absinthe and a Jade is about 15 cents. So I say use whatever absinthe floats your boat.

Precisely the reasoning behind the c.1900 Pernod Fils that I keep in a bitters bottle behind my bar, for the occasional special sazerac.

Welcome Navidson! :cheers: And FPB, I'll have another one of your Sazeracs next time I'm over! :worshippy:

Edited by redwun