Sign in to follow this  
baer2cub

Newb

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

My name is Daina, and I'm a new absinthe enthusiast and excited to get started. My husband and I just recently discovered Absinthe and I am itching to try and make some for myself. I always like a good challenge and this seemed like a good one as any. I've spent the last couple days glued to the computer learning as much as I can from other more experienced people, when I came across this website.

I've never taken part in forums so I hope I'm not doing anything worng. I didn't realize that there were rules invloved, but I will do my best to comply.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone, and learning how I can get my hands on hese elusive herbs!

Daina

Welcome Daina! :cheers:

Like all communities, online and offline, rule well-thought-out rules can go a long way toward keeping the peace.

Regarding making absinthe yourself, I'm afraid there's no legal way to do it as a hobbyist since it requires distilling alcohol, which is prohibited in the US without a permit. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but we do have a policy against discussing illegal distilling activity. Aside from placing the practitioner's freedom in jeopardy for committing a federal offense, it exposes us to possible issues as well.

For your academic explorations, however, we've published the complete text from two influential 19th-century French distilling manuals from the 1850s, each with detailed chapters on absinthe. You'll find them in the historic articles section.

Cheers!

Luscious Oily Lesbians!!

I had to try it. I happened to see that things are not always as they seem.

Of course, I would never consider brewing anything if it was illegal, but seeing as I don't reside in the US of A, I should be OK. ;)

As long as you abide by the laws of your country, you're free to talk about anything you wish. If I lived in New Zealand, I wouldn't have pursued a permit to distill but since I don't, I have to play by my country's rules. :cheers:

If I lived in New Zealand, I wouldn't have pursued a permit to distill but since I don't, I have to play by my country's rules. :cheers:

The important thing is that you keep distilling!!! (formal request)