Sign in to follow this  
Marty_4

Few starter questions

Hi guys and girls.

As my welcome message says I'm new to absinthe and have a few question that I've searched the answers for with no luck.

Firstly is their anything, food etc or another liquid that compliments or exacerbates the, lets say effects of absinthe?

Secondly. How much does or can the taste of absinthe differ between brands/type etc. I have a home study that I spend a lot of time in and like the idea of a personnel absinthe bar :-)

And lastly...

In relation to the use of absinthe to help with a creative mind etc; could

if used right absinthe help with study? I'm doing a masters degree as I'm sick of actual work offshore, so fancy a office job engineering.

Cheers in advance

Marty

Also.

In relation to my second question above, could someone tel me the names and info of 4-5 absinthe s to start off my collection. Ones that differ quite a lot in taste etc.

I'll be shopping at absinthe online/liqueurs de France.

I take it this is a reputable store?

I was told it was.

Welcome!!! The "effects" from absinthe come mainly from the alcohol .... really. There are a number of fine European and domestic absinthes, take a look at the reviews to get some ideas. Yes, Liqueurs de France is quite reputable. Enjoy the journey! :arrr:

Other "effects" come from many of the holistic herbs many reputable distillers use in the manufacturing process; keep in mind that absinthe was originally a medicinal elixir. Some of those roots and herbs have stimulating affects which impart a lucidity on the patient... err... drinker :)

Ultimately, you experience a wide-awake drunk.

As for taste differences between various brands of absinthe - absolutely. There is a very wide array of differences and though some are similar - many are quite different and no two and exactly the same (at least from my explorations).

Cheers lads.

Great replies.

Fingers crossed my first proper bottle is coming tomorrow, I asked them to move the shipping to next day instead of 48h.

I'm intrigued about the wide awake drunk.

Will be an experience anyway ha.

There's more ethanol (alcohol) in a bottle of absinthe than anything else. So eat whatever you like when you get drunk or what you think might pair well with the flavor (seafood for me). Absinthe is no more of a different kind of drunk than wine is to tequila for me.

Absinthes should all have an anise and wormwood taste. Other than that foundation there are many other herbs that were used historically and even more in some modern absinthes so each brand can taste very different or some brands might taste similar. It all depends on the recipe and distillation techniques.

As far as creativity, that might just be the ethanol as well. Creativity and focus are two very different mental processes. What helps with one will most likely inhibit the other, which brings up...

Absinthe will probably not help you study. The PRIMARY effect is getting drunk. Any secondaries are subject to that, if they exist at all. Keep in mind the effect of state dependent memory. Try to make your environment and physiological "state" as close as possible to what it will be when you take the test. Study in empty classrooms that are quiet just like they will be when you take the test. If you study inebriated with a movie on while talking to your girlfriend then you might not have the best of luck recalling information while sober in a quiet classroom.

Nice info. Yeah study is different to creating. Had to ask? Thought I may have come across magic fairy juice that makes me brainier ha ha. I didn't really think that Luscious Oily Lesbians!.

Lequeurs de France let me down at the last minute and I had to cancel my order so went somewhere else and decided on a dropper, nice spoon and a bottle of Paul Devoille, Enigma Verte! The reviews read well.

On a different note I'll be making my own fountain at work, using sawgelok and stainless steel. I'll when I get back in 4 weeks I'll be posting pictures :-)

Thanks for all the help

Marty

I typed L O O and it came up luscious oily lesbians! is that my girlfriends ipad auto correct or the site.

Should I not be using L O L? is it counted as text talk?

Some text talk is automatically converted to weird phrases here. Absinthe forum admins can be tricksters at times. You typed it correctly and it wasn't an auto-correct mistake.

Enigma should be a nice one for you. Had it 7 years ago under a different name.

Edited by greytail

If you want to expand the variety in a limited number of bottles, Obsello and Corsair Red are two that strike out a bit from the more traditional to be sure and are both worth picking up.

I was in the same boat recently and asked the same questions, then I had my first absinthe.. I know some will cringe here but it seems a correlate that a lot of first time absinthe drinkers get some type of czech variety. I did - it was KOS standard, not the gold. The bottle had remnants of what was bits of wormwood plant? Or something else? I had this sitting in my collection for at least a year before I opened it. The bottle said 10mg thujone content. From studies this is meant to be a low content. However the remnants of the plant must have some maceration effect over time. So does the thujone content increase over time? Well when I did drink it 1 did a 1:3 mix with water which pitted 150ml per glass at 23% from 70% neat. I must say the taste was extremely bitter, just like the other reviews I have read. To pitch the setting I was in it was a pleasant cool evening I had some woozy electronic kosmiche music playing. After the first 2 drinks I had a strong numbness in mouth and wave of elation and euphoria and energy take over. Yes the alcohol content was strong and usually Im mellow after a few drinks. . so this was my normal reaction to the alcohol. As the 3rd drink came through I had a heightened sense of smell and taste. I also had a heightened sense of sound and started to play louder music as the afternoon went on. I ended up preparing a pasta meal of agnelotti and bolognaise sauce and thoroughly enjoyed it even more than usual. The next morning I swam a time trial PB!

So what really happened that night?

Did plant matter in the bottle led to more maceration and higher thujone content from the wormwood leaves?

Hi Joseph, I actually did read that article already. And thats what confused me a little.. the article mentions about czech varieties that boast thujone levels but did not actually register any.. I know KOS has been rumoured as such, esp with Gold boasting 100mg. But what I had was not the Gold but the standard. So my main question is how do I know how much % of thujone was in my drink that evening.. was it the extra maceration from plant matter or was it something else causing the 'secondary effects'. It certainly wasnt the alcohol. Im a seasoned drinker of wine and other spirits so I know exactly where the alcohol sits. I dont mean to hijack the thread by the OP if so im happy to start a new one. My curiosity was drawn on by the question by the OP and Im keen to be more educated by anyone else here who are seasoned absintheurs, or anyone who has had any KOS experiences as well. (apologies to anyone here who enjoy quality louches)

My first experience with "absinth" was with a terrible variety of Czech stuff that indeed boasted astronomical amounts of thujone. I fell for their trap :) SO I totaly get where you are coming from with your research.

A lot of people on this forum (and elsewhere) would probably say that they notice no secondary effects whatsoever. I'm in the camp where absinthe does effect me differently than other alcohol... though more of a heightened awareness when having imbibed a few than I would have after a few glasses of wine or whatnot. It tends to not dull the senses and can be misleading because of that. If you are really intoxicated from the absinthe but you don't realize it and then go operate heavy machinery... no good, right? I doubt, however, that this difference is based upon thujone at all and attribute it simply to the medicinal botanicals used and their effect upon the body alongside the normal effects of alcohol consumption.

As for how much of anything KoS has in it - I have no clue how much or how to find out. I'll defer to others for that :)

Well if this is the case that Thujone is suppposedly not the cause of the psychoactive change and that it is due to other medicinal herbs then this would start an interesting line of debate as to the validity of any factual evidence on thujone and in former studies yes? The null (Ho) Hypothesis would be that Thujone does not cause significant psychoactive changes in the mind. I guess the previous studies are not valid and cannot be extrapolated to effects on humans as a convulsive since only lab rats were used? Then in playing devils advocate - How then can anyone claim to have the real 'facts' about Thujone? Id like to know what Im missing otherwise..

Im sorry if this has been discussed before I dont know as Im new to the forum.

It's been discussed to death. (not literally)

Some of the more seasoned members have developed a nervous tick or something like that when the thujone subject is mentioned.

It's a simple matter. The search thingy on here does a wonderful job of finding those threads.

As for me.......meh.

Cheers!

I think all your questions are fairly well covered here in the FAQ found here.

http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php/frequent-questions-education-235

in particular 6,7, and 10

If thujone was such a psychoactive, why are secondaries never mentioned after people consume oregano, tarragon or sage?

You can ingest a lot more thujone in some common herbs, than you can in a glass of absinthe. Most thujone is removed in distillation. you can get more thujone from you spice rack.

As Bill said, the subject has been discussed many, many times before.over many many years. Just search around some.

No worries didnt want to drag out any dirty laundry, Im just a newbie trying to understand some new concepts thats all. No offence intended to those seasoned nervous tickers :wheelchair: :shifty:

So what really happened that night?

In these parts, it's this thing we like to call "getting drunk". :harhar:

Heheh fair enough since theres no clarification on "secondaries", or whatever one calls it and it all vaguely blurred in and out into the evening I must have imagined it because I was too drunk then :twitchsmile:

Well I must have been because I looked back at an email I sent a friend and I said "well this afternoon I had big night out drinking absinthe..." :cheerz:

Nice info. Yeah study is different to creating. Had to ask? Thought I may have come across magic fairy juice that makes me brainier ha ha. I didn't really think that Luscious Oily Lesbians!.

Lequeurs de France let me down at the last minute and I had to cancel my order so went somewhere else and decided on a dropper, nice spoon and a bottle of Paul Devoille, Enigma Verte! The reviews read well.

On a different note I'll be making my own fountain at work, using sawgelok and stainless steel. I'll when I get back in 4 weeks I'll be posting pictures :-)

Thanks for all the help

Marty

Wondering if you ever finished your fountain and where the pics are?

thanks

joe