bentleye

New to Absinthe

Hi. My name is David. I live in San Diego, CA. For me, absinthe mythology was the initial draw. It was associated in my mind with creative minds of the 19th century, and drug effects beyond alcohol. This was a passive impression, nothing I ever thought about or talked about until this past March, when I was in France. I was looking at spirits in a grocery store, and I spotted a bottle of absinthe that just clicked right in with what I "knew" about absinthe. The bottle was black and it had a skull on the label. I bought thinking it was really cool and I'd have to smuggle it back to the US because it had to be illegal. What a conversation piece.

That absinthe was Pandor. Unfortunately it was not confiscated by customs. It is basically just strong vodka with a bitter after taste. It is garbage:no louche, no anise, no fennel. Its only value is that it caused me to research absinthe. That is how I came across this site with all the detailed reviews, informative discussions, and links to articles. I ended up trying Kübler locally at a bar and enjoying it. After that, I ordered a bottle of Berthe de Joux and a bottle of Blanchette, based on the reviews, from Absinthe Classics. These are even better than the Kübler. Right now I'm thinking that the Blanchette is the best one, but I'm not feeling any pressure to decide.

My thanks to everyone here who contributed here to absinthe education. Best wishes.

Welcome!

Blanchette is good and works well for making cocktails.

BdJ can be quirky but is very enjoyable. Try experimenting with different dilution ratios.

Cheers! :cheers:

Hi....

That absinthe was Pandor. Unfortunately it was not confiscated by customs. .

That was worth the price of admission! Welcome to the Forum, David. :cheers:

Welcome and cheers David! It'll be smooth sailing from now on that you got your bearings! :arrr:

Edited by Cajun Magic

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I do need to experiment with different water ratios. I've kind of been going between 3 and 4 to 1. I did about 5 to 1 on Blanchette the other day. I mixed up three ounces of Blanchette, about a half teaspoon of sugar, 12 ounces of very cold water and some ice in a thermos. I took it to the beach and had a most pleasant afternoon sitting in the warm sunshine and sipping absinthe. Best wishes to all.

I mixed up Blanchette, , 12 ounces of very cold water and some ice in a thermos.

Yes sir. Travelin' absinthe. Do that alot myself.

Experimenting with amounts of sugar and different water ratios is all part of the fun :)

This is true. I've even drunk both of them straight and they are good. I could see sipping them like cognac or calvados. I also found I was using less and less sugar until just the last few days I have used no sugar. Both my absinthes are surprisingly sweet. It is not like sugar sweetness. It seems like something else. Maybe the anise oil has a kind of sweetness. That would be interesting as I've drunk other anise beverages like raki, ouzo, sambuca, and pastis. They have sugar, which masks any other sweetness. But presumably the absinthe has no sugar. It lets the other sweetness shine through. It is a nice mild sweetness that is a counterpoint to the bitterness without obscuring the bitterness.

. But presumably the absinthe has no sugar.

Correct! A true absinthe does not have sugar in it.

How much, if any, should always be up to your tastes. Me, I am a 90% of the time no sugar. Once in a while, a good amount like when I want a liquid dessert.