82 replies to this topic

#61 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Does anyone own an Old Boy pipe lighter. I'm wondering if it's any good.

#62 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:40 AM

Corona, yes very nice. I had a Prometheus XR which is built around the same style. They (both) last forever.

If not dropped. :thumbdown:
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#63 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:57 PM

Ouch, I hate it when toys break. But thanks for the info, I'm prolly gonna buy one tonight.

#64 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:04 AM

What price did you find?

#65 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

$70.00 for a chrome one. Seems to be the best deal I can find.

#66 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

link?

#67 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

Here ya go.

#68 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:09 AM

Thanks.

I did some searching last year and never came up with that price.

Jump on it!

#69 Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

I've had a Savinelli churchwarden for about 2 years. I typically smoke what I believe is a mild Virginia available at my local shop, Stogies on Grand. It is just called Stogies Blend. Unfortunately, the stem broke off inside the bowl and I have been unable to smoke since. It is a gorgeous pipe and I don't want to throw it out. Can such a thing be repaired? Can I just get a new stem for the bowl I already have?

#70 dantodd

dantodd

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

churchwardens can be a bit tough. Most decent pipe shops will have a number of stems on hand but probably not for a churchwarden and almost certainly not acrylic which I believe your Savinelli is. That being said your local shop can probably order a replacement from Savinelli so all is not lost.
TripBalz?? How short ARE your legs?!?!

#71 Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:11 AM

Depending on how much they want for it I may be better off just buying a more reasonable pipe.

#72 WhyteKnight

WhyteKnight

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:21 AM

Well it might be a smidge late in coming by now, but I had the same problem with a pipe of mine, Pete. Depending on the dimensions of your stem, you might be able to get a replacement from the J. H. Lowe Smoking Pipe Repair Parts co., barring a replacement being available from the manufacturer. Unfortunately for me, I misplaced the damn pipe bowl before I could get the stem ordered.

#73 Wamplet

Wamplet

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:23 PM

I don't smoke nor do i plan to, but i must say I love the smell of tobacco from pipes.

My dad used to smoke them and I can still remember the sound of him clamping down on the pipe and the sweet smell.

Totally different from my average second-hand smoking experience of cigarettes and cigars.

#74 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

Real (not drug store) cigars are not like pipe tobacco, but they're definitely closer to that than to the bland, stale smell of cigarettes.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#75 Lycaon

Lycaon

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

I found a great tobacconist in Tucson that is the main supplier for all of my pipe tobacco.
It's called 'Tinder Box'. They have a fine selection of pipe tobaccos. My favorites are;
cherry almond and pistachio. Simply divine for a pipeful, nice and sweet aroma too. Though
I can't smoke inside the house, my wife loves the smell of pipe tobacco. And the pistachio
tobacco really compliments the taste of a nice glass of absinthe...
"Lycaon himself fled in terror, and when he reached the silence of the country he howled as in vain he tried
to speak. His mouth acquired a mad ferocity arising from his basic nature, and he turned his accustomed
lust for slaughter against the flocks and now took joy in their blood."
-Ovid, Metamorphoses, (1, 211-252)

#76 hyperlunch

hyperlunch

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:23 PM

Wow... pistachio! I've never come across that in a pipe tobacco. I have a strong predilection for black cherry liqueur tobacco. As with so many of the comments I've read on here, it reminds me of my dad. What is it with dads and pipes?
I am a man of louche morals.

#77 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:59 AM

Last night a friend and I tamped some “Big Ike” he bought offline; the pipe tobacco dedication to Gen. Eisenhower. Wow, great stuff. Very rich, very bold. A good smoke.
"I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
-The Waste Land

“…and it’s appropriate to serve them, as long as you serve them appropriately.”
-Jules

#78 Lycaon

Lycaon

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

The cherry-almond is a very sweet mild smoke. A great smoke to have when the ladies are
around. The only other pipe tobacco that used to draw the ladies was a mixture I used to get
1 ounce of coco cavendish mixed with 1 ounce french vanilla. It would carry the aroma of fresh-baked
vanilla-flavored brownies around any room I was in.
"Lycaon himself fled in terror, and when he reached the silence of the country he howled as in vain he tried
to speak. His mouth acquired a mad ferocity arising from his basic nature, and he turned his accustomed
lust for slaughter against the flocks and now took joy in their blood."
-Ovid, Metamorphoses, (1, 211-252)

#79 hyperlunch

hyperlunch

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

That sounds fantastic, actually. Mannnn, now I all want brownies.
I am a man of louche morals.

#80 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

This past winter the missus got me started with pipes. I'm currently running a Peterson 1/4 bent bulldog, and a Kirsten 'Jewel'.

I'm loving it, but have yet to master packing the things :D

#81 Angie13

Angie13

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

My wife and I are two of the only girls we know personally who smoke pipe's (and I hate having to tell people it's a TOBACCO pipe! Oi.) I've had my eye on a custom Lion head meerschaum for a long time now. Ever since I was of smoking age in Utah. I received my very first pipe on my 19th birthday (smoking age in Utah) from my wife and I've been building a small collection ever since! ^_^

Now that I'm also a fan of coffee, I plan on trying a pipe and coffee in the morning. Though I'd love to have a pipe with a nice glass of Absinthe and see what that's like. I'm also a cigar, cigarillo and hookah smoker. ^_^
*~ Angie • 21 • In love with my wife and soul mate Jen • Gamer • Geek • Artist • Shopaholic • Outdoorsy Girly-Girl ~*

#82 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

Unfortunately, the pipe destroys my palate so I don't pull it out before or during the green hour.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#83 Sage

Sage

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

I've only just discovered the joys of pipe smoking. I found cigars to be too heavy to enjoy with absinthe, they are much better paired with rum I find, but the pipe is ideal. I've been enjoying some mild  aromatics and cavendish blends which go very nicely with the green hour.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association