• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:04 PM

After seeing Hiram's pipe collection the other day, I thought, not for the first time, about the similarities between pipe smoking and Absinthe drinking. Like a properly prepaired glass of Absinthe, the pipe requires careful and ritualistic preparation and yields a complex sensory experience that some "get" and others do not.

Typically, I would go to a more widely recognized source for pipe discussion like a pipe smokers' forum but I thought there might be enough of us (pipe smokers) here to chat about it some.

Anyway, Hiram would you tell me again about the Oriental/Turkish tobacco vs the cavendish/aromatic. I would like to try something like what I smelled at your place (tobacco that is).
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#2 G&C

G&C

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

Cigars.

#3 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

Cigars. Smoked a pipe a little before moving to the cigars.

Tried an Avanti last night. Too sweet for me. I wasn't into the whole 'Backwoods' look either :huh:
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#4 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

Shai, the tobaccos in question were Latakia and Perique. One of the best (and oldest) tobacconists in the country is the L.J. Peretti Co. in Boston, founded in 1870. I particularly liked their Royal Blend, the Oriental No. 40, and the English 110.

They will also sell the straight, unblended tobaccos, so you can adjust a blend to your liking. That's why I have the Latakia and Perique. I also used to keep the Djubek and Yenidje on hand for the same purpose, but as I mentioned while you were here, good Yenidje and Djubek are really hard to find and anything available (in the US) pales in comparison to the Turkish tobaccos of 30 years ago.

What you're after is an "Oriental" or English blend. They tend toward the smoky, savory side rather than the sweet aromatic side, like Cavendish based blends. Aromatics will be the ones that smell like chocolate, vanilla, fruits and so on.

I started smoking a pipe when I was 16, picking it up from my father. I still have a couple of my pipes from then, including a 1976 Bicentennial. I've smoked them on and off all my life, but just three years ago discovered premium cigars (after the 90's boom). I'll probably move back to pipes again someday.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#5 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:14 PM

Cigars are great and popular enough for their own thread perhaps. Hiram thanks for the information. I will have to look into getting some of those you mentioned. I picked up pipe smoking years ago. My father had one on his dresser when I was a child and although I never saw him smoke it, I was impressed that it was a romantic thing from an early age. Many of my heros smoked pipes as well i.e. Tolkien and Lewis. I have always loved the smell of pipe smoke (I wish it tasted like it smells). In pursuit of "tastes like it smells", I have stuck pretty close to the aromatics (fruits, vanilla, whiskey, etc. The milder the better for my tongue.

I am really drawn to the experience of pipe smoking, the ritual of it. Selecting a pipe from my collection (a long stemmed churchwarden, a deeply curved Savenelli, a free form Boswell, etc...), selecting tobacco, filling the pipe (not too tight not too loose), lighting, watching the the first curls of aromatic smoke rise from the warm orange glow of the ember.

Pipes are great smoked alone but they are even better smoked with a friend. Pipe smoking adds a great deal to conversation. Keeping a pipe lit requires attention, time spent not talking. In a culture where we so often talk more than we listen and spend our only quite time waiting to interrupt whoever is talking, smoking a pipe during conversation requires you to be quiet and draw on the pipe. One has to plan ones comments and spend time listening. There is a rhythm to it that is healthy.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#6 G&C

G&C

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

Your last paragraph covers how I feel about cigars.

#7 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

I started smoking a pipe on college,
over the years picked up a small collection of pipes.
Though when I was on the road a lot doing shows they had a tendency to get broke so I started hand rolling my pipe tobacco. Use to smoke a blend called Norse Gold from the Tinderbox.
Still have some of my pipes, a couple of mearsham lined briars, a carved one, and a wood and porcelain tyrolian pipe. They sit on my mantle in my pipe rack with my humidor. :)
Looking for absinthe near you? Check The Absinthe Finder

I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#8 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

These are a few of my pipes, the ones that have seen action in recent years anyway.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#9 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:20 PM

Nice collection Hiram!

I've always wanted to try a pipe but I've never really known what to start with.

#10 G&C

G&C

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

B.C. bud.

#11 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

Last party I went to in LA had alot of pipe smoking, 420 HG. Medical my ass.

I can't stand the smell.

#12 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:49 PM

I have lots to say on the subject B.C.Bud and 420HG, but will keep it to myself.

My high school boyfriend smoked a pipe a lot. He has a really nice meerschaum and a Calabash. Looked good on him, being a tall, lanky, Norwegian. I enjoyed the aroma and we used to frequent the Tinderbox at Southcenter.

My ex smoked cigars in the last few years we were together...I couldn't stand them.
Good friends are the family you wish you had been born into.

War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate.
Marvin Gaye

#13 newtothegreenhour

newtothegreenhour

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

I dealry love my period clay tavern pipe. When I went to my first SCA event and they told me to loose the cigs I was terriffied, I had never smoked a pipe before. Subadai gave me an old torn up clay tavern and that's all I've ever smoked on since, even made my own, which is way to hard to do again. I really prefer the cavendish blends to the turkish, now matter how much I get made fun of for it not being period.
Take pictures, for fun and profit!

#14 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:01 AM

Your last paragraph covers how I feel about cigars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have heard it said that cigarette smoking is like watching TV, cigar smoking like going to the movies, and pipe smoking like reading a book. I can see it. All of them have their own place but require different levels of effort/investment, have different payoffs, and different levels of sophistication.

#15 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:08 AM

I use to buy cigars at Edwards Pipe Shop in Atlanta. There were always 2-3 people sitting in chairs smoking pipes & talking when I went in. The place smelled heavenly. You really didn't want to leave.

#16 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:42 AM

Stroller - If you want to give it a try you need very little to start. You need a pipe, some tobacco, a three-in-one tool and some pointers on loading and keeping lit technique.

Pipes - you do not have to spend a mint on a pipe especially your first one. Most of the time the super high cost comes from name/artist/designer and collectability. The problem with a $10 to $30 drugstore pipe is that it will probably smoke very hot (the pipe itself will heat up considerably and the tobacco will smoke too hot). The average decent pipe is about $50 look for a good name like Savinelli (I have a model 614 Roma that I love). Shape is mostly to taste (art not tongue) but depends a bit on what you want to do with it. A very straight stem will backwash on you if you are looking up at a bookshelf or something. A heavy pipe requires a free hand to hold it. A flat bottomed pipe will sit upright on a table on its own etc...

Tobacco - Again to taste. I recommend going to a tobacconist and finding something that smells good to you. In my experience they usually smell similar when smoked to what they smell like in the jar. They do not taste like they smell however so ask the tobacconist for mild or sharp recommendations.

Three-in-one tools are cheap (50cents) and helpful. They have a tamper, an airater, and a scoop for cleaning out the ash and unsmoked "dwaddle."

Filling/loading - fill the pipe with tobacco packing it evenly from bottom to top. It should be tight enough to offer moderate resistance to airflow when you pull(drag) on the pipe. Not to tight, it should not be a strain. If you fill it too tightly, use the tool to open an airway.

Lighting - using a match, hold the flame just over the filled pipe and draw the flame into the tobacco by pulling slowly (most people do not inhale pipe smoke. I certainly recommend not doing so for health reasons). You are trying to form an ember on top of the tobacco (more than one match may be required). Once a good ember is formed try not to re light, the tobacco gets more and more bitter with each re light.

The trick to keeping a pipe lit is in keeping the ember on the yet to be smoked tobacco in your pipe. The pipe tends to form a layer of insulating ash between the ember and the rest of the tobacco so every once and a while, use the tamper to push the ember down on the unsmoked tobacco.

*A new pipe needs to be seasoned. When it its smoked, a layer of gunk builds up on the inside of the bowl. You want this stuff, do not scrape it off. Start a new pipe off by only filling it halfway, smoke it, fill it a bit higher, smoke, etc... until a nice layer is built up.

#17 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:55 AM

Nifty analogy, ShaiHulud. For the most part I would agree with the cpomparisons, unless you are going for 'long ashes' on a cigar. Then I would equate it to reading "War and Peace" B)
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#18 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:28 AM

All good advice. Depending on how much you smoke, it can take a few weeks to a month or so to get a good start on seasoning a pipe.

There is a Turkish technique for filling a pipe: "The first pinch should be packed lightly, as by a child’s hand. The second pinch, more firmly, as by a woman’s hand. The third pinch should be packed the firmest, as by a man’s hand." But don't over-do it. Packing too tightly will make it hard to keep lit, as there are no air pockets in the tobacco.

On cigarettes, I went on about the old Turkish cigarettes when Shai was here, but I can't stress enough: cigarettes are not what they used to be. Cigarettes used to have flavor and smell good 30, 35 years ago. American tobacco sucks! I have had cigarettes that were every bit as flavorful and enjoyable as a good cigar or pipe. It's all in the tobacco. American cigarette tobacco companies are Satan.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#19 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

I always thought the issue with modern cigs was all the crap the put in to preserve the tobacco.

One of those " the cure is worse than the disease".

#20 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

Preservatives my ass. Flavorings, fragrances and chemicals specifically added to speed the nicotine absorption into the bloodstream. They're just nicotine delivery devices. Not to mention the saltpeter put into the papers to make them burn faster.

I know I don't sound much like the tobacco advocate that I am, but these are the 599 approved additives of American tobacco:

Acetanisole
Acetic Acid <-- vinegar
Acetoin
Acetophenone
6-Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane
2-Acetyl-3- Ethylpyrazine
2-Acetyl-5-Methylfuran
Acetylpyrazine
2-Acetylpyridine
3-Acetylpyridine
2-Acetylthiazole
Aconitic Acid
dl-Alanine
Alfalfa Extract
Allspice Extract,Oleoresin, and Oil
Allyl Hexanoate
Allyl Ionone
Almond Bitter Oil
Ambergris Tincture
Ammonia
Ammonium Bicarbonate
Ammonium Hydroxide
Ammonium Phosphate Dibasic
Ammonium Sulfide
Amyl Alcohol
Amyl Butyrate
Amyl Formate
Amyl Octanoate
alpha-Amylcinnamaldehyde
Amyris Oil
trans-Anethole
Angelica Root Extract, Oil and Seed Oil
Anise
Anise Star, Extract and Oils
Anisyl Acetate
Anisyl Alcohol
Anisyl Formate
Anisyl Phenylacetate
Apple Juice Concentrate, Extract, and Skins
Apricot Extract and Juice Concentrate
1-Arginine
Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil
Ascorbic Acid
1-Asparagine Monohydrate
1-Aspartic Acid
Balsam Peru and Oil
Basil Oil
Bay Leaf, Oil and Sweet Oil
Beeswax White
Beet Juice Concentrate
Benzaldehyde
Benzaldehyde Glyceryl Acetal
Benzoic Acid, Benzoin
Benzoin Resin
Benzophenone
Benzyl Alcohol
Benzyl Benzoate
Benzyl Butyrate
Benzyl Cinnamate
Benzyl Propionate
Benzyl Salicylate
Bergamot Oil
Bisabolene
Black Currant Buds Absolute
Borneol
Bornyl Acetate
Buchu Leaf Oil
1,3-Butanediol
2,3-Butanedione
1-Butanol
2-Butanone
4(2-Butenylidene)-3,5,5-Trimethyl-2-Cyclohexen-1-One
Butter, Butter Esters, and Butter Oil
Butyl Acetate
Butyl Butyrate
Butyl Butyryl Lactate
Butyl Isovalerate
Butyl Phenylacetate
Butyl Undecylenate
3-Butylidenephthalide
Butyric Acid]
Cadinene
Caffeine
Calcium Carbonate
Camphene
Cananga Oil
Capsicum Oleoresin
Caramel Color
Caraway Oil
Carbon Dioxide
Cardamom Oleoresin, Extract, Seed Oil, and Powder
Carob Bean and Extract
beta-Carotene
Carrot Oil
Carvacrol
4-Carvomenthenol
1-Carvone
beta-Caryophyllene
beta-Caryophyllene Oxide
Cascarilla Oil and Bark Extract
Cassia Bark Oil
Cassie Absolute and Oil
Castoreum Extract, Tincture and Absolute
Cedar Leaf Oil
Cedarwood Oil Terpenes and Virginiana
Cedrol
Celery Seed Extract, Solid, Oil, And Oleoresin
Cellulose Fiber
Chamomile Flower Oil And Extract
Chicory Extract
Chocolate
Cinnamaldehyde
Cinnamic Acid
Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Bark Oil, and Extract
Cinnamyl Acetate
Cinnamyl Alcohol
Cinnamyl Cinnamate
Cinnamyl Isovalerate
Cinnamyl Propionate
Citral
Citric Acid
Citronella Oil
dl-Citronellol
Citronellyl Butyrate
itronellyl Isobutyrate
Civet Absolute
Clary Oil
Clover Tops, Red Solid Extract
Cocoa
Cocoa Shells, Extract, Distillate And Powder
Coconut Oil
Coffee
Cognac White and Green Oil
Copaiba Oil
Coriander Extract and Oil
Corn Oil
Corn Silk
Costus Root Oil
Cubeb Oil
Cuminaldehyde
para-Cymene
1-Cysteine
Dandelion Root Solid Extract
Davana Oil
2-trans, 4-trans-Decadienal
delta-Decalactone
gamma-Decalactone
Decanal
Decanoic Acid
1-Decanol
2-Decenal
Dehydromenthofurolactone
Diethyl Malonate
Diethyl Sebacate
2,3-Diethylpyrazine
Dihydro Anethole
5,7-Dihydro-2-Methylthieno(3,4-D) Pyrimidine
Dill Seed Oil and Extract
meta-Dimethoxybenzene
para-Dimethoxybenzene
2,6-Dimethoxyphenol
Dimethyl Succinate
3,4-Dimethyl-1,2 Cyclopentanedione
3,5- Dimethyl-1,2-Cyclopentanedione
3,7-Dimethyl-1,3,6-Octatriene
4,5-Dimethyl-3-Hydroxy-2,5-Dihydrofuran-2-One
6,10-Dimethyl-5,9-Undecadien-2-One
3,7-Dimethyl-6-Octenoic Acid
2,4 Dimethylacetophenone
alpha,para-Dimethylbenzyl Alcohol
alpha,alpha-Dimethylphenethyl Acetate
alpha,alpha Dimethylphenethyl Butyrate
2,3-Dimethylpyrazine
2,5-Dimethylpyrazine
2,6-Dimethylpyrazine
Dimethyltetrahydrobenzofuranone
delta-Dodecalactone
gamma-Dodecalactone
para-Ethoxybenzaldehyde
Ethyl 10-Undecenoate
Ethyl 2-Methylbutyrate
Ethyl Acetate
Ethyl Acetoacetate
Ethyl Alcohol
Ethyl Benzoate
Ethyl Butyrate
Ethyl Cinnamate
Ethyl Decanoate
Ethyl Fenchol
Ethyl Furoate
Ethyl Heptanoate
Ethyl Hexanoate
Ethyl Isovalerate
Ethyl Lactate
Ethyl Laurate
Ethyl Levulinate
Ethyl Maltol
Ethyl Methyl Phenylglycidate
Ethyl Myristate
Ethyl Nonanoate
Ethyl Octadecanoate
Ethyl Octanoate
Ethyl Oleate
Ethyl Palmitate
Ethyl Phenylacetate
Ethyl Propionate
Ethyl Salicylate
Ethyl trans-2-Butenoate
Ethyl Valerate
Ethyl Vanillin
2-Ethyl (or Methyl)-(3,5 and 6)-Methoxypyrazine
2-Ethyl-1-Hexanol, 3-Ethyl -2 -Hydroxy-2-Cyclopenten-1-One
2-Ethyl-3, (5 or 6)-Dimethylpyrazine
5-Ethyl-3-Hydroxy-4-Methyl-2(5H)-Furanone
2-Ethyl-3-Methylpyrazine
4-Ethylbenzaldehyde
4-Ethylguaiacol
para-Ethylphenol
3-Ethylpyridine
Eucalyptol
Farnesol
D-Fenchone
Fennel Sweet Oil
Fenugreek, Extract, Resin, and Absolute
Fig Juice Concentrate
Food Starch Modified
Furfuryl Mercaptan
4-(2-Furyl)-3-Buten-2-One
Galbanum Oil
Genet Absolute
Gentian Root Extract
Geraniol
Geranium Rose Oil
Geranyl Acetate
Geranyl Butyrate
Geranyl Formate
Geranyl Isovalerate
Geranyl Phenylacetate
Ginger Oil and Oleoresin
1-Glutamic Acid
1-Glutamine
Glycerol
Glycyrrhizin Ammoniated
Grape Juice Concentrate
Guaiac Wood Oil
Guaiacol
Guar Gum
2,4-Heptadienal
gamma-Heptalactone
Heptanoic Acid
2-Heptanone
3-Hepten-2-One
2-Hepten-4-One
4-Heptenal
trans -2-Heptenal
Heptyl Acetate
omega-6-Hexadecenlactone
gamma-Hexalactone
Hexanal
Hexanoic Acid
2-Hexen-1-Ol
3-Hexen-1-Ol
cis-3-Hexen-1-Yl Acetate
2-Hexenal
3-Hexenoic Acid
trans-2-Hexenoic Acid
cis-3-Hexenyl Formate
Hexyl 2-Methylbutyrate
Hexyl Acetate
Hexyl Alcohol
Hexyl Phenylacetate
1-Histidine
Honey
Hops Oil
Hydrolyzed Milk Solids
Hydrolyzed Plant Proteins
5-Hydroxy-2,4-Decadienoic Acid delta- Lactone
4-Hydroxy-2,5-Dimethyl-3(2H)-Furanone
2-Hydroxy-3,5,5-Trimethyl-2-Cyclohexen-1-One
4-Hydroxy -3-Pentenoic Acid Lactone
2-Hydroxy-4-Methylbenzaldehyde
4-Hydroxybutanoic Acid Lactone
Hydroxycitronellal
6-Hydroxydihydrotheaspirane
4-(para-Hydroxyphenyl)-2-Butanone
Hyssop Oil
Immortelle Absolute and Extract
alpha-Ionone
beta-Ionone
alpha-Irone
Isoamyl Acetate
Isoamyl Benzoate
Isoamyl Butyrate
Isoamyl Cinnamate
Isoamyl Formate, Isoamyl Hexanoate
Isoamyl Isovalerate
Isoamyl Octanoate
Isoamyl Phenylacetate
Isobornyl Acetate
Isobutyl Acetate
Isobutyl Alcohol
Isobutyl Cinnamate
Isobutyl Phenylacetate
Isobutyl Salicylate
2-Isobutyl-3-Methoxypyrazine
alpha-Isobutylphenethyl Alcohol
Isobutyraldehyde
Isobutyric Acid
d,l-Isoleucine
alpha-Isomethylionone
2-Isopropylphenol
Isovaleric Acid
Jasmine Absolute, Concrete and Oil
Kola Nut Extract
Labdanum Absolute and Oleoresin
Lactic Acid
Lauric Acid
Lauric Aldehyde
Lavandin Oil
Lavender Oil
Lemon Oil and Extract
Lemongrass Oil
1-Leucine
Levulinic Acid
Licorice Root, Fluid, Extract and Powder
Lime Oil
Linalool
Linalool Oxide
Linalyl Acetate
Linden Flowers
Lovage Oil And Extract
1-Lysine]
Mace Powder, Extract and Oil
Magnesium Carbonate
Malic Acid
Malt and Malt Extract
Maltodextrin
Maltol
Maltyl Isobutyrate
Mandarin Oil
Maple Syrup and Concentrate
Mate Leaf, Absolute and Oil
para-Mentha-8-Thiol-3-One
Menthol
Menthone
Menthyl Acetate
dl-Methionine
Methoprene
2-Methoxy-4-Methylphenol
2-Methoxy-4-Vinylphenol
para-Methoxybenzaldehyde
1-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-1-Penten-3-One
4-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-2-Butanone
1-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-2-Propanone
Methoxypyrazine
Methyl 2-Furoate
Methyl 2-Octynoate
Methyl 2-Pyrrolyl Ketone
Methyl Anisate
Methyl Anthranilate
Methyl Benzoate
Methyl Cinnamate
Methyl Dihydrojasmonate
Methyl Ester of Rosin, Partially Hydrogenated
Methyl Isovalerate
Methyl Linoleate (48%)
Methyl Linolenate (52%) Mixture
Methyl Naphthyl Ketone
Methyl Nicotinate
Methyl Phenylacetate
Methyl Salicylate
Methyl Sulfide
3-Methyl-1-Cyclopentadecanone
4-Methyl-1-Phenyl-2-Pentanone
5-Methyl-2-Phenyl-2-Hexenal
5-Methyl-2-Thiophenecarboxaldehyde
6-Methyl-3,-5-Heptadien-2-One
2-Methyl-3-(para-Isopropylphenyl) Propionaldehyde
5-Methyl-3-Hexen-2-One
1-Methyl-3Methoxy-4-Isopropylbenzene
4-Methyl-3-Pentene-2-One
2-Methyl-4-Phenylbutyraldehyde
6-Methyl-5-Hepten-2-One
4-Methyl-5-Thiazoleethanol
4-Methyl-5-Vinylthiazole
Methyl-alpha-Ionone
Methyl-trans-2-Butenoic Acid
4-Methylacetophenone
para-Methylanisole
alpha-Methylbenzyl Acetate
alpha-Methylbenzyl Alcohol
2-Methylbutyraldehyde
3-Methylbutyraldehyde
2-Methylbutyric Acid
alpha-Methylcinnamaldehyde
Methylcyclopentenolone
2-Methylheptanoic Acid
2-Methylhexanoic Acid
3-Methylpentanoic Acid
4-Methylpentanoic Acid
2-Methylpyrazine
5-Methylquinoxaline
2-Methyltetrahydrofuran-3-One
(Methylthio)Methylpyrazine (Mixture Of Isomers)
3-Methylthiopropionaldehyde
Methyl 3-Methylthiopropionate
2-Methylvaleric Acid
Mimosa Absolute and Extract
Molasses Extract and Tincture
Mountain Maple Solid Extract
Mullein Flowers
Myristaldehyde
Myristic Acid
Myrrh Oil
beta-Napthyl Ethyl Ether
Nerol
Neroli Bigarde Oil
Nerolidol
Nona-2-trans,6-cis-Dienal
2,6-Nonadien-1-Ol
gamma-Nonalactone
Nonanal
Nonanoic Acid
Nonanone
trans-2-Nonen-1-Ol
2-Nonenal
Nonyl Acetate
Nutmeg Powder and Oil
Oak Chips Extract and Oil
Oak Moss Absolute
9,12-Octadecadienoic Acid (48%) And 9,12,15-Octadecatrienoic Acid (52%)
delta-Octalactone
gamma-Octalactone
Octanal
Octanoic Acid
1-Octanol
2-Octanone
3-Octen-2-One
1-Octen-3-Ol
1-Octen-3-Yl Acetate
2-Octenal
Octyl Isobutyrate
Oleic Acid
Olibanum Oil
Opoponax Oil And Gum
Orange Blossoms Water, Absolute, and Leaf Absolute
Orange Oil and Extract
Origanum Oil
Orris Concrete Oil and Root Extract
Palmarosa Oil
Palmitic Acid
Parsley Seed Oil
Patchouli Oil
omega-Pentadecalactone
2,3-Pentanedione
2-Pentanone
4-Pentenoic Acid
2-Pentylpyridine
Pepper Oil, Black And White
Peppermint Oil
Peruvian (Bois De Rose) Oil
Petitgrain Absolute, Mandarin Oil and Terpeneless Oil
alpha-Phellandrene
2-Phenenthyl Acetate
Phenenthyl Alcohol
Phenethyl Butyrate
Phenethyl Cinnamate
Phenethyl Isobutyrate
Phenethyl Isovalerate
Phenethyl Phenylacetate
Phenethyl Salicylate
1-Phenyl-1-Propanol
3-Phenyl-1-Propanol
2-Phenyl-2-Butenal
4-Phenyl-3-Buten-2-Ol
4-Phenyl-3-Buten-2-One
Phenylacetaldehyde
Phenylacetic Acid
1-Phenylalanine
3-Phenylpropionaldehyde
3-Phenylpropionic Acid
3-Phenylpropyl Acetate
3-Phenylpropyl Cinnamate
2-(3-Phenylpropyl)Tetrahydrofuran
Phosphoric Acid
Pimenta Leaf Oil
Pine Needle Oil, Pine Oil, Scotch
Pineapple Juice Concentrate
alpha-Pinene, beta-Pinene
D-Piperitone
Piperonal
Pipsissewa Leaf Extract
Plum Juice
Potassium Sorbate
1-Proline
Propenylguaethol
Propionic Acid
Propyl Acetate
Propyl para-Hydroxybenzoate
Propylene Glycol
3-Propylidenephthalide
Prune Juice and Concentrate
Pyridine
Pyroligneous Acid And Extract
Pyrrole
Pyruvic Acid
Raisin Juice Concentrate
Rhodinol
Rose Absolute and Oil
Rosemary Oil
Rum
Rum Ether
Rye Extract
Sage, Sage Oil, and Sage Oleoresin
Salicylaldehyde
Sandalwood Oil, Yellow
Sclareolide
Skatole
Smoke Flavor
Snakeroot Oil
Sodium Acetate
Sodium Benzoate
Sodium Bicarbonate
Sodium Carbonate
Sodium Chloride
Sodium Citrate
Sodium Hydroxide
Solanone
Spearmint Oil
Styrax Extract, Gum and Oil
Sucrose Octaacetate
Sugar Alcohols
Sugars
Tagetes Oil
Tannic Acid
Tartaric Acid
Tea Leaf and Absolute
alpha-Terpineol
Terpinolene
Terpinyl Acetate
5,6,7,8-Tetrahydroquinoxaline
1,5,5,9-Tetramethyl-13-Oxatricyclo(8.3.0.0(4,9))Tridecane
2,3,4,5, and 3,4,5,6-Tetramethylethyl-Cyclohexanone
2,3,5,6-Tetramethylpyrazine
Thiamine Hydrochloride
Thiazole
1-Threonine
Thyme Oil, White and Red
Thymol
Tobacco Extracts
Tochopherols (mixed)
Tolu Balsam Gum and Extract
Tolualdehydes
para-Tolyl 3-Methylbutyrate
para-Tolyl Acetaldehyde
para-Tolyl Acetate
para-Tolyl Isobutyrate
para-Tolyl Phenylacetate
Triacetin
2-Tridecanone
2-Tridecenal
Triethyl Citrate
3,5,5-Trimethyl -1-Hexanol
para,alpha,alpha-Trimethylbenzyl Alcohol
4-(2,6,6-Trimethylcyclohex-1-Enyl)But-2-En-4-One
2,6,6-Trimethylcyclohex-2-Ene-1,4-Dione
2,6,6-Trimethylcyclohexa-1,3-Dienyl Methan
4-(2,6,6-Trimethylcyclohexa-1,3-Dienyl)But-2-En-4-One
2,2,6-Trimethylcyclohexanone
2,3,5-Trimethylpyrazine
1-Tyrosine
delta-Undercalactone
gamma-Undecalactone
Undecanal
2-Undecanone, 1
0-Undecenal
Urea
Valencene
Valeraldehyde
Valerian Root Extract, Oil and Powder
Valeric Acid
gamma-Valerolactone
Valine
Vanilla Extract And Oleoresin
Vanillin
Veratraldehyde
Vetiver Oil
Vinegar
Violet Leaf Absolute
Walnut Hull Extract
Water
Wheat Extract And Flour
Wild Cherry Bark Extract
Wine and Wine Sherry
Xanthan Gum
3,4-Xylenol
Yeast

www.absinthemarteau.com

#21 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:52 AM

Real Turkish cigarettes:

Tobacco
Paper

www.absinthemarteau.com

#22 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

I mean, really. Plum juice??? Gentian Root Extract? Tobacco Extracts? What's that about?

Although the fenchone and the anethol could be nice.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#23 TheGreenOne

TheGreenOne

Makes Poor Choices

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

Flavorings, fragrances and chemicals specifically added to speed the nicotine absorption into the bloodstream.  They're just nicotine delivery devices. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Without comment, here is a story from The Los Angeles Times

Philip Morris in Inhaler Deal
A biotech firm plans to use technology invented by the cigarette maker to treat infants and adults with breathing impairments.

Top cigarette maker Philip Morris is venturing into pharmaceuticals, joining with a biotechnology firm to develop therapies for respiratory problems of premature infants and adults, the companies said Monday.

The licensing deal allows Discovery Laboratories Inc., of Warrenton, Pa., to use inhaler technology invented by Philip Morris to deliver treatments for breathing-impaired newborns and people with asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
The deal is a breakthrough for Chrysalis Technologies, a Philip Morris division that has sought to commercialize an invention first conceived as a smoke-free nicotine delivery device.

Discovery plans to use it to deliver respiratory therapies without the discomfort and injury that can be caused by breathing tubes.

"We're pleased that this alliance offers us the opportunity to develop our aerosol generation technology with a new class of pulmonary medicine products," said Jennifer Golisch of Philip Morris USA, a unit of Altria Group Inc.

#24 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

:shock:
I knew there were additives, but SHIT!

#25 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:27 PM

Actually, that is the only thing I did not see on the list.

#26 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:14 PM

Ha!

#27 TheGreenOne

TheGreenOne

Makes Poor Choices

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:15 PM

For some odd reason, thujone did not make the list. Pity.

#28 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:21 PM

"first conceived as a smoke-free nicotine delivery device."

There you have it. They've missed the whole point of smoking.

I guess some people don't care about flavor, they only drink smoke it for the effects.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#29 TheGreenOne

TheGreenOne

Makes Poor Choices

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

Welcome to the brave new world.