Sign in to follow this  
Songcatcher

Ghost vapors?

Do you ever get them? During the middle of the day, or some other odd time, with no absinthe around. All of a sudden you catch a fleeting whiff of something...absinthey? And then as quick as it came it's gone again, but all of a sudden you're craving a glass. Is there something to it or is it just me? Is it psychological or is there some science behind it, or am I just drinking too much?

Is it psychological or is there some science behind it, or am I just drinking too much?

I'd go with A&C, but two outta three ain't bad. :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe

Could be you were around something that is used in absinthe like something with fennel in it or even another herb. Who knows. I have had that happen before though.

It is probably large aromatic molecules sweating out your skin pores, or exhaled through the lungs. Like tasting or smelling garlic, asparagus, or exotic spices the next day.

I've also noticed that with absinthe.

Nice theory ..and may even be spot on..only I have had this happen days after not drinking absinthe.

Edited by greytail

I've biked past an alpine meadow or two and it really made me jones for a glass of absinthe. That might have been a different mental association though.

Do you ever get them? During the middle of the day, or some other odd time, with no absinthe around. All of a sudden you catch a fleeting whiff of something...absinthey?

Happens all the time. Usually when I'm working in the distillery or tending herbs in the garden. I just assumed it was normal. ;)

That's explains it! The ghosts in this old bungalow are drinking my absinthe! Now I can simply leave the Pernod and Grande Absente people have given me out on the table until it's gone. I thought I saw Bruce Willis floating around here the other day with a glass in his hand looking all confused.

This happened to me earlier today. No kidding. The only problem was that it smelled like Absente. Which is all i have tried thus far, so i wont say i enjoyed the experience.

It's not uncommon for random food and drinks to remind me of some overtone of absinthe. Not a predominant flavour like anise or wormwood, but one of those things that results from weird interactions. It's usually fleeting and I can't analyze it mentally before it's gone.

When I get drinking a lot of absinthe, I start staring at green things like traffic lights and such. I think about which absinthe the color of the light matches, or the blue toilet water looks like Hapsburg or something.