Sign in to follow this  
greytail

RZPR prototype verte

Much to my delight, I was one of the lucky ones to get a sample of this new prototype that Stefano Rossoni, distiller of L'Ancienne, is working on. I have not seen any mention of anyone else getting a sample so I thought I would speak up first. Maybe we can compare tasting notes here. I only sampled a very small portion and sealed up the rest for another evening some day in the future.

Here are my initial thoughts based upon that sample. The bottom line is that this one is looking to be yet another drain on my wallet when it is ready to sell.

The color neat is a nice natural olive green. Very clear with no sea monkeys. The louche was quick. Did not have to work hard. The aroma I got louched at 3:1 was nice Pontarlier Aa and after tasting what seems to be a young wine base (younger than what is used for L'Ancienne 2012 at least).

Tasted at 3:1 then went up to around 4.5:1. Like L'Ancienne, this can take the water. Louche was nice. Not too thin or thick. Again, the youth is apparent, but I doubt that the purpose of this one was to mimick any aged flavors. Nice Pont. Aa and some nice Balsamic notes going on. Like usual, I take my time with drinking absinthe. Noticed as it neared the finish just how Herbal and robust this is. I like it and it will only get better. I don't know when this will be bottled for release. My bank account hopes later as to recoup a bit from my recent purchase of L'Ancienne, but I would definitely give this a try. I will have another glass of this prototype after it rests in the bottle for awhile. Will be interesting to note any changes if any to my thoughts.

Please feel free to use this thread to share your own thoughts if you also recieved a sample of this with your recent order of L'Ancienne 2012 from absinthes.com

Edited by greytail

I've had so many other things left to review that I decided to wait on this one until the other ones were done (as a bit of a treat). Hopefully this weekend though...fingers crossed.

There's enough in the sample bottle for two glasses. I had one, and am waiting until October or so to finish it, as Stefano suggested letting it age a bit. I like it a lot, and it has much in common with L'Ancienne, with one or two differences. For those who did not like L'Ancienne's "aged" impressions of leather, old books and other descriptors, this is likely to make you happy. It seems with L'Ancienne, one either really loves it, or doesn't, because of these age impressions. This new proto reminds me of a fresh, new modern twist on L'Ancienne, without the feeling of age.

I love Stefano's style.

Grim I'm honored. Seriously.

About my RZPR proto: as Scott mentioned I do suggest you to taste half and drink the other half around the end of the year. I don't really wanna say anything about it before all of you have tasted it, but I'll say this: I made this absinthe to be aged longer than my other absinthes. Also sitting in the glass for a few minutes allows it to open up a bit more.

Hope you enjoy it!

Ha. You could always pour some in the bathtub.

Scott, I agree with what you have said.

Edited by greytail

Yikes, indeed you're right. This bottle has enough for several more! Me ol' noggin got briefly confused by the row of 50-60 ml sample bottles in that cabinet.

Good news... there's more of this prototype than I realized!

had a very little bit last night and really liked it. Too small an amount to give a "real" review but yeah. Somewhere between L'ancienne and La Grenouille, a very nice place to be. Can't wait to go broke on this one...

Tried a bit tonight. I'd say it's more like a lightly oaked Marteau than other Stefano/Zufanek products, but even then it's definitely its own thing.

It's also very nice, I can't wait to try it again at the end of the year.

Edited by Evan Camomile

I was really pleased with this. It's hard to pull out individual parts of the aroma and flavors of it...it's very cohesive and rounded. I probably spend 10 minutes just smelling it (and I have about a page of notes).

Hey guys,

since its been a couple of months I'm assuming most people have tasted their RZPR proto so as promised I'm gonna disclose some more details about it.

First of all, as I mentioned in my other post, this absinthe is not gonna be offered soon. My plan is to age it for at least 3 years, possibly more, definitely not less. I will keep tasting it every year to evaluate the development and decide when I'm satisfied with it.

I've been calling this absinthe "prototype", because that's what I use for a new absinthe that doesn't already have a bottle, a label, and basically is not ready for sale, but technically it's incorrect. A prototype is an early version of a product that is still in development, and is likely somehow different than how the final product will be. The RZPR is ALREADY the final product and it's a one time run, so there are not gonna be other batches of it.

This absinthe is distilled using a very classic recipe and features a wine base. I designed this absinthe to be aged for longer so there are differences in the protocol compared to any other of my absinthes. The absinthe will be "ready" around the 1 year mark (which is why I talked about November, the absinthe was distilled in Setpember 2012) and with ready I mean that by then the absinthe will have evolved into its own unique flavor profile or "personality". That's the end of the resting phase (which is usually between 3-6 months for my other absinthes). I expect the absinthe to keep improving significantly over the following two or more years.

That's all I can say for now.

Actually there's one more thing. You might be wondering what RZPR stays for: Rossoni-Zufanek Private Reserve

I remembered I had this while moving my liquor collection to the new house. Evan and I both wished we could have a bit more, but we're gonna try to hold on to it and taste as it ages as well. I really enjoyed this absinthe, and can't wait to drink it again.

I can't wait to try it! It sounds pretty amazing. I really enjoy they way you go about creating these absinthes Stefano!

My guess is that it will sell out fast like his latest batch of L'Ancienne. I was hoping absinthes.com would find more by now.

Just sampled this again today after tasting it for the first time back in early April this year.

Very nice. Well balanced. Almost like how I would imagine L'Ancienne without the aged notes added. Sort of a before (rzpr) and after(l'ancienne). One before being stored away for centuries.

It is definitely different from L'Ancienne and will be its own thing obviously, but Stefano's care and dedication to making fine absinthe shines through in this sample as much as in any of his offerings.

Pont. Ww is wonderfully present. The grape base is aging nicely. I have a bit more I will save for a future tasting. Can not wait for this one to go on sale.

Edited by greytail