I was just given this book by Teras Grescoe, and was wondering if anyone here has read it? It's about forbidden fruits from around the world, and the author's quest to try them. The reviews on amazon are positive, but I was hoping to find if anyone here has read it, and what your thoughts are. It's not that I don't trust the reviews on amazon, but let's be real; it's not exactly crawling with many experts in this area. I've read some reviews that were clearly written by folks who were a special kind of 'out there'...
I haven't started reading it yet, but plan to this evening. It seems interesting enough. Each chapter is devoted to one of the forbidden fruits, and a few of them I'm really looking forward to reading about:
1. Hjemmebrent: The Viking Moonshine
2. Savory Crackers: Poppies for Nanny
3. Epoisse: Satan in a Poplar Box
4. Criadillas: Brussels vs. the Bull's Balls*
5. Cohiba Esplendido: It's the Law
6. Absinthe Suisse: One Glass and You're Dead (this will likely be my 1st chapter...and apparently as a ghost; a well preserved one at that)
7. Chocolat Mousseux: The Exonerated Buzz
8. Mate de Coca: Never Say No
9. Pentobarbitol Sodium: The Last Sip*
*Zero curiosity (at least as far as trying it goes).
Edited by -TJ-, 30 March 2013 - 04:29 AM.