Sign in to follow this  
-TJ-

Hi, I'm TJ... (the noob from South Dakota)

Hello all, my name is TJ. I'm relatively new to the world of absinthe, and am extremely eager, and interested in learning (and of course, sampling) all I can about this incredible stuff.

My first introduction with absinthe was in the mid to late 90s, though I didn't actually get my hands on any until '08. Unfortunately for my palate, it was Grande Absente (that cute little set that came with spoon & glass... yay.) I love the flavor of anise, so I just assumed all absinthe was supposed to taste like a Good 'n Plenty frappe. I was pleasantly surprised to learn otherwise. The kicker is that even though I enjoy anise, that "frappe" was just too much. I can't recall any other flavors at all aside from that, and I couldn't justify spending almost $70 on it when the reality (for me, anyway) was that a bottle of Sambuca was much less expensive, and had a close enough flavor, albeit too sweet for me. So I just stuck with whiskeys and craft beers, until recently.

A few months ago while skimming through Netflix, I found "Absinthe - A Documentary" and my curiosity was reborn. I watched it about 4 times that week (give or take a few), which led me to the net looking for all things absinthe; which ultimately led me lurking about here.

At this point I was still trying to find a good absinthe to start things off properly. All I found locally was Lucid and the reviews had me on the fence. I couldn't wait though, and decided that a low to mid grade had to be better than a no grade candy flavored frappe.

I asked the guy at the liquor store if all they had was Lucid, and he went on about thujone, and how Lucid was the only legally sold absinthe in SD. Since I had only just read some things here that would debunk this and didn't quite have it all absorbed (something about a statute on the legal limits? - which I'd love to find and show them), I decided that I'd bite my tongue this time, so I grabbed the Lucid and left. I've had better since, but it wasn't as bad as it could've been...

Right now I'm torn between favorites. Vieux Pontarlier, Pacifique, and Mansinthe are all tied for 1st. I also like Obsello II, it's a nice change from the others, and my wife (who does not dig anise flavor, or absinthe at all) even complimented it.

My list of what's next is pretty close to limitless, though Ridge, Marteau, Jade NO, and La Clandestine are in the must try asap section.

I'm originally from VT, and currently live in Sioux Falls with my wife and 2 kids, where life is (thankfully) somewhat laid back, and the absinthe is all mine*! (Which is ok with me)

*well, at least 1 of my friends likes it, but since I do the pour, it's all good! heheh

Anyway, I've rambled on enough for now. It's good to be here, I look forward to learning all I can and meeting you all (or some, hell, I'm easy enough)

Thank you, it's good to be here.

It's a tough call, but I think when I make my next order, at least the Ridge, Marteau & La Clandestine will be there - and at least one more Pacifique.

I'm starting to try it with no sugar, and so far am actually impressed, though it's too close for a preference at this point. Mansinthe, imo, is a bit better without it, but I haven't tried with the rest of the stash yet :cheerz:

Hello T.J. Nice to meet ya. To me, sugar is more of a French thing. Another good question would be how many Swiss absintheurs use sugar? When so much of our food supply is loaded with it already. If you don't sugar your coffee then you'll probably enjoy your absinthe more without it. Welcome to the WS.

Thanks all :cheerz:

Nice to meet you, Songcatcher, I agree on the over abundance of sugar. I don't use much if any, maybe a tsp. in coffee, or the 1 cube over a glass, but it's definitely not a staple in my diet. I'm finding I do enjoy absinthe a bit more without that added sweetness, it really effects the flavor for me, but in a good way. I like tasting everything the glass has to offer, plus with no sugar, it doesn't get that sick sweetness near the bottom.

Thanks JosephL, it's nice to meet you. That fauxsinthe is something, all right. I'm convinced that "nasty" is indeed the polite way to go when describing it.

I thought it was a great documentary, and a nice change. It really lit a fire under my a$$ (which is as close to my absinthe as flames are allowed!) Not only did it brush up what I already knew, I learned more. I've even been able to show it to a few friends (and hopefully more at some point), and they all enjoyed it.

3 of the 5 wanted to try some absinthe when it was finished. Thankfully, 2 of them really enjoyed it, where 1 was, and probably still is on the fence. She didn't hate it, but couldn't decide if it would be something she'd ever buy. Either way, I was happy that I could introduce some friends to that sexy green fairy.

Welcome. Absinthe history is truly interesting enough to even the people who do not like the flavor.

Edited by greytail

Thank you all, I'm glad to be here. I can't seem to get enough of this site. In my opinion, WS has the best info online concerning absinthe, and so far the best forum I've ever joined. It's a really nice change to see a forum where people actually act like people.

I was convinced this was impossible. I was wrong

It's funny you mention those... They've been on my list since I read the reviews, and hopefully will be purchased soon.

So far (at least as far as real absinthe goes) I've enjoyed every bottle. Well, almost every bottle. The Lucid didn't start to taste that good until about half way through the bottle (which sat around for about 2 months before I finally killed it) - and even then it was no Pacifique by any means. It was better than that fauxsinthe garbage I started with years ago though...

Welcome!!!! :arrr:

.... If you don't sugar your coffee then you'll probably enjoy your absinthe more without it.

For me this is apples vs oranges. I drink my tea straight, coffee with cream and sugar, and absinthe without sugar. :g:

I've found that adding sugar, though it isn't bad, is just a little too sweet for me. I really enjoy the flavor more without it. So far, it's becoming my preferred prep.

And to give credit where it belongs, I don't know if I would have tried it w/o sugar had I not done some reading here. My curiosity got the better of me, which isn't a bad thing (for once!)

:cheerz:

Edited by -TJ-