greytail

Sipping Absinthe:)playing video games

Perfect Dark on N64 with the house swill. Yeah, I'm way old school and my kids just scratch their heads. Still, it's what's set up in the distillery to while away the hours. :wheelchair:

Joe. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye for the 64 might be the best shooters of all time. Nice. Now, does the house swill seem to enhance your aim?

Years ago, in 2005, a whole bottle of Verte Suisse was consumed between me and a friend while we were beating the Mercenaries mini-game in Resident Evil 4 (over few weekends), to unlock all the special weapons. The absinthe was definitely raising the tolerance to frustration!

Replaying Metroid Prime 2 for GameCube while louching up some 2011 L'Ancienne. After kids go to bed, video games are sometimes a great way for me to unwind. The absinthe doesn't hurt either.

Edited by greytail

I've never been good at video games while under the influence, but I can play them while drinking absinthe, strange. Perhaps it was the subject matter. Bioshock Infinite. Wonderful game to drink absinthe to. :cheerz:

my favorite topic! Marteau and Masseffect 3 Insanity! love Skyrim too waiting very impatiently for a Elder Scrolls Online beta invite or the release. :p

I found out it is never a good idea to drink absinthe while you play as healer for a group while raiding a dungeon in World of Warcraft. That orc tank wasn't amused.

Joe. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye for the 64 might be the best shooters of all time. Nice.

^^That is a true statement. Incredibly fun, addictive games. I should be on Battlefield 3 tomorrow with some Vieux Carre if all works as planned!

I'm a fanatic for oldschool games. I occasionally buy a current AAA title on PC but I'm picky, and I usually feel burned afterward anyway. Don't even have a PS3 or Xbox 360. Even with modern games I mostly just get indie titles on Steam. Super Meat Boy is pretty much my idea of a perfect game.

I mostly rock out with my NES, SNES, Game Boy, and Genesis emulators on my Wii. I'd play my real systems but the back of the TV has gotten too crowded.

I agree. When it comes to having fun the indie games are taking the lead.

Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, LIMBO, Journey, and plenty others were/are much more fun than the latest "EA Sports 20XX" or "immersive" FPS.

The only AAA titles that really get me are from Bethesda, until the bugs and glitches make me ragequit.

I'm just a little tired of the modern video game thing where in order to play it at all you have to set aside several hours so you can sit through an hour of cut scenes, an hour or more of tutorials, endless menus, etc. All that just to get started, just to see if you think it's worth further spending your time on.

That's fine once every other weekend.

But usually I just want to hit *power*, hit *start*, and then start playing a game. Like good old Contra and Castlevania.

And it's especially frustrating when the story is so much the focus that the gameplay blows, and it's just something I suffer through to get to the next story section. I'm looking at you, Mass Effect 2, which I still haven't completed because your combat system and lack of a proper rpg-style inventory irritate me so badly.

But usually I just want to hit *power*, hit *start*, and then start playing a game.

Agreed. I've made a shift over to games that are definitely targeted towards kids, but they don't require lots of waiting and I'm less likely to ragequit during the hour I'm able to set aside for video games.

That said, I'm looking forward to getting Diablo for console. I hate spending more time in front of my computer than I need to anymore.

"Like good old Contra and Castlevania. "

Two of my favorites. They really have lost sight of what made Castlevania a great game.

One that IS worth the time is THE LAST OF US.

Edited by greytail

Perfect Dark on N64 with the house swill. Yeah, I'm way old school and my kids just scratch their heads. Still, it's what's set up in the distillery to while away the hours. :wheelchair:

Pfft. Ridge Verte with Final Fantasy II (Or 4) on SNES. Level 71. They've made video games after 1991?

Tes IV Oblivion, great game alone, even better with a glass of pf1901.

Also... I'm really jealous of Todd getting to beta test for ESO!